Interesting flaws on a 1988 146

Simon rogerson

Hello everyone. First post from a new member here. I have dug out a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 146 that has not seen service since I received it for for my 18th birthday in 1988. It's an interesting example of the 146, in that the nib is mono gold 18k and the cap band has 'W Germany' written on it. Two other features may be of interest: the flaw in the white logo on the cap was there when I received the pen (I should have complained at the time, but I was 18 and had other priorities), and also the way the gold 'drips' down the top of the cap. I can't seem to find that in standard pictures of the 146. Is this a normal feature of the 146? I would be grateful for any insights my fellow members have regarding the spot on the white cap. Curiously, it seems a similar colour to the gold. So a forgotten pen has become a pleasing puzzle, for me at any rate. Your thoughts are welcome. EDIT... the drip does not exist, was just a reflection that created an illusion. 

SDR_0431.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Edited by Simon rogerson
update

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simon rogerson

• meiers

• KWLC

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh dear... this is embarrassing. There is no 'drip'... It was purely an artefact of the photography, most likely a reflection. But anyway, the less interesting gold dot on the logo is the only flaw.  Here's a photo of my dripless 146SDR_0525.thumb.JPG.0218e37c271524712f1c31ea5bc8e2de.JPG

Great pen. Congratulations.

I'd be interested to know what Montblanc thinks about the flaw in the snowcap? Obviously a manufacturing flaw (if, as you say, has been there since new). Can't imagine how it got past quality control? They may offer a free replacement cap-top - and (obviously) they may not, as it has been many years, since it left the factory.

If you're anywhere near a boutique, I'd take it in and ask. 

It's the iconic logo of the company, so they may want to put it right?

If it irks you, you could take it in for a service (at cost) and get it sorted out (plus any other issues the pen may have) But, if it's not a free fix, I personally wouldn't bother. Think of it as part of the pen's 'charm'. It's still a brilliant pen!

Hope you enjoy it in good health.

Thank you for your insight, CS388. I recently came across the pen in a forgotten drawer and am contemplating what to do with it. Of course I should have complained to MB back in the day; I just didn't feel strongly about the flaw. I have finally written to the company, however, to see what they have to say about it, making it clear I expect no favours. I'm just interested. 

I don't think I appreciated the pen until I photographed it with a 60mm macro lens. The detail is so elegant, it really is a design classic. 

Best wishes to you and yours,

SimonR

The pen body and cap top are resin. likely this is damage post production. Could have happened at the store. The color is likely something that could clean out, there is not a secret golden layer under the white. 😁

It does not hurt value dramatically as the pen is not a collector's item that needs to remain pristine. In fact, in nominal dollars I am sure it is worth more than what was paid for in 33 years ago (or close to). Use it and enjoy it. It probably does not need any special service to get back to life other than flushing with some water. If you do use it and the piston cone resists twisting, don't try to overpower it as this is how the plastic spindle inside breaks. Someone besides MB can service it for less or you can buy or make a piston removal tool and lubricate it yourself. Plenty of threads here on how to do so.

Enjoy the pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Superb advice, Zaddick, and much appreciated - thank you. I shall study the threads with interest. In the meantime, here is a courteous response that I received from Mont Blanc's Customer Service representative, one Gabriele Middel-Okafor:

"This is indeed a very strange mark in the Montblanc emblem. I personally have not seen such a thing and I am working for Montblanc for many years. It could be that the the gold of the engraving lacquer (if it is engraved) has been rubbed into a small mark on the cap top. Anyway, this is just an assumption which is hopefully useful for you."

It was very kind of them to reply, as the automatic assumption would be that I probably inflicted the damage myself. Indeed it is possible that this happened and  I have simply forgotten it. However it seems unlikely as the pen has lived in its box since I tried it out back in 1988. The truth is, I am a journalist and prize a pen with regard to how fast it allows me to write shorthand. This, rest assured, is not a shorthand pen!  

Edited by Simon rogerson

I would completely agree wit Matt if this were a '40s or '50s emblem.  My take is that this is easily replaced.  I do have replacement domes in my stock.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

• 1 year later...

Hi, may I know how much does this pen (Mont Blanc 146B Black 1988) cost? I currently have one which I'm trying to sell. It is unused and still in great condition.

I would appreciate if someone can advise on this. Thanks!

On 1/13/2021 at 8:38 PM, meiers said:

This is a beautiful pen. Personally  I like this cosmetic flaw... and would leave the pen as is. 

I agree. It gives the pen some character and is easily recognizable as yours. 

On 4/10/2022 at 8:31 AM, KWLC said:

Hi, may I know how much does this pen (Mont Blanc 146B Black 1988) cost? I currently have one which I'm trying to sell. It is unused and still in great condition.

I would appreciate if someone can advise on this. Thanks!

I sold one here in the market place for $270 a few years ago. One way of estimating its current market value is to search for your pen on eBay and include “sold items” in your search criteria.