KWZ IG Blue-black and R&K Salix fading and aging...and other blues.

Dimy

2 hours ago, Dimy said:

Not a small pen, but quite comfortable, for me at least. Some level of changes can be done during order as per need.

I won't call it jumbo or huge either though. Just a large pen.

I'm not saying it's obscenely big, but it's as thick as any fountain pen I've seen or held in all my years. There was a thread about the thickest pens here, and only a couple ran thicker than this one, and they were described as being simply gigantic. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimy

• yazeh

• RJS

• OleJuul

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, RJS said:

13mm diameter section, huh? Wow, that pen is huge! 

That's the the section diameter of a Montblanc 149.  So big, but not huge.

Name a thicker pen, off the top of your head? I think it's fair to call the thickest pens I've ever held (MB 149 and Sailor King of Pens) huge, as they simply are larger/thicker than most other fountain pens around the section. We can call them all "really big" if the term huge has some kind of negative connotation. 

Edit: For what it is worth, I personally like these jumbo sized pens.

I'm a little confused. How did a long thread on pen size preference end up in an ink forum? I thought I was being a wet blanket by introducing the effects of paper, but this is ridiculous. :)

16 hours ago, RJS said:

13mm diameter section, huh? Wow, that pen is huge

Mine's 11.3-12.6. 132mm long uncapped. Close to an M800

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 hour ago, OleJuul said:

I'm a little confused. How did a long thread on pen size preference end up in an ink forum? I thought I was being a wet blanket by introducing the effects of paper, but this is ridiculous. :)

That's what conversations tend to do :)

14 minutes ago, TSherbs said:

Yup, especially casual ones. 

Hence my comment. This conversation was far from casual. However, I bow to the local sensibilities - especially since I'm new here. :)

I wouldn't worry about a 6 or 7 post detour onto a different subject, especially when the original thread had pretty much burnt itself out already. :) 

A couple of years ago I did some window tests of some inks on paper. We have south facing windows so I put it on the sill all winter.  Most held up well, some fading of the iron gall inks. Blue State blue disappeared, Legal Lapis is fine. Carbon inks hold up well too. Even my home made blue and purple dye inks did OK. I used some HP paper and it turned yellow! I cut the sheet in half and left one on the sill and other if drawer so I could compare. 

I have some Clairefontaine and some cotton paper there now, I did not cut the papers in half this time.  I am just tinkering and was wondering what a sort of worse case aging for inks would look like. I write in a journal and would like them to hold up over time.

1 hour ago, thorn said:

A couple of years ago I did some window tests of some inks on paper. We have south facing windows so I put it on the sill all winter.  Most held up well, some fading of the iron gall inks. Blue State blue disappeared, Legal Lapis is fine. Carbon inks hold up well too. Even my home made blue and purple dye inks did OK. I used some HP paper and it turned yellow! I cut the sheet in half and left one on the sill and other if drawer so I could compare. 

I have some Clairefontaine and some cotton paper there now, I did not cut the papers in half this time.  I am just tinkering and was wondering what a sort of worse case aging for inks would look like. I write in a journal and would like them to hold up over time.

Good for you for tinkering with that. In a window is, of course, a good real world situation, but note that window glass doesn't pass all the UV, so the situation is even worse outside. I've been meaning to do accelerated tests using a high output broadband UV source which I have, but haven't gotten around to it. The idea with high intensity exposure it to give some idea of what is likely to happen after a longer time than we're generally willing, or able, to wait.

6 minutes ago, OleJuul said:

Good for you for tinkering with that. In a window is, of course, a good real world situation, but note that window glass doesn't pass all the UV, so the situation is even worse outside. I've been meaning to do accelerated tests using a high output broadband UV source which I have, but haven't gotten around to it. The idea with high intensity exposure it to give some idea of what is likely to happen after a longer time than we're generally willing, or able, to wait.

Oh my. That would be great Ole. Whenever, you set it up, let me know and I can send written samples if you want :) 

16 minutes ago, OleJuul said:

The idea with high intensity exposure it to give some idea of what is likely to happen after a longer time than we're generally willing, or able, to wait.

Science ignoramus here. So one could, for example, drink a shot of scotch daily for a month, or quaff a bottle in an afternoon for the same result?

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Science ignoramus here. So one could, for example, drink a shot of scotch daily for a month, or quaff a bottle in an afternoon for the same result?

I can understand your point.  However, I would be more than willing to make assumptions, based on the shorter experiment with strong UV light, about the result with long term resistance to lower level UV light. 

1 hour ago, maclink said:

I can understand your point.  However, I would be more than willing to make assumptions, based on the shorter experiment with strong UV light, about the result with long term resistance to lower level UV light. 

I'm pretty sure you will get noticeably more fading with a bottle in the afternoon. With ink, however, I fear there would not be the same expectation of recovery.

The swabs results. Pics were done on 15th as per date, the problem being too busy schedule these days allowing less time for editing and comparing, anyways pics are here. 3rd case where dipping was not done shows a clear difference in colour. While others do same but not so extreme as 3rd ones.

large.381990940_2monthswabs.jpg.6854acfaec3d3b2a1566b780d19dee72.jpg

Dimy what's the average humidity where you live?

India has such diverse climate that depending where you live that could effect the tests. 

A lot of deterioration of iron gall inks happens in high humidity , ie. above 70%....

I live in Lucknow so humidity is highly variable, all year around.

The avg goes to around 65s in month of jan, and is at 40s around during current time. During August it will go at around 70 avg (can easily reach 80s in occasion but usually avg is in 70s).

April and may and most of june see very low humidity at around 30s while july sees rise and August sees peak and September sees high humidity (depending on monsoon, of corse). A fall in october to 60s followed by 50s and so on.

Of corse its India and my area is volotile in this regard..........now that I think about it should I add the monthly avg with tests? Its gonna be tricky as the dates of pics taking are quite different from actual dates of weather reports.

Good to know. 

Don't complicate your life. We're not in a lab :)

The results would be most interesting in October after all the high humidity....

I'm currently doing a mini test, in the corner of an aquarium, which is about 78 % with only one IG ink, waiting to see if it'll disintegrate or not ;)

2 hours ago, yazeh said:

I'm currently doing a mini test, in the corner of an aquarium, which is about 78 % with only one IG ink, waiting to see if it'll disintegrate or not ;)

Ooh now that's one I am curious to see. I too am curious of October/ November results especially for sallix, I think kwz will survive seeing how little it is changing in other test of mine plus aquarium salt now.