KWZ IG Blue-black and R&K Salix fading and aging...and other blues.

I wonder what you mean that Salix doesn't oxidize. Of the 3 "modern" IG blue-blacks I use regularly (Platinum, Pelikan 4001, and Salix), Salix is the only one that does anything like the historical blue-to-black color transformation. Isn't that oxidation? 

I'm sure that it is wimpy, compared to the steel-eating inks of old, though! 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dimy

• yazeh

• sgphototn

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Paganini said:

I wonder what you mean that Salix doesn't oxidize. Of the 3 "modern" IG blue-blacks I use regularly (Platinum, Pelikan 4001, and Salix), Salix is the only one that does anything like the historical blue-to-black color transformation. Isn't that oxidation? 

I'm sure that it is wimpy, compared to the steel-eating inks of old, though! 

I was being lazy. My apologies. 

Salix as a stand alone ink, is truly a lovely ink. With wide nibs, dramatic shading etc. 

However, compared to more substantial iron gall inks (Essri, Akkerman #10, Registrars and I believe KWZ blue black) it doesn't feel like an IG ink. It doesn't oxide as dramatically as said inks. At least in my experience. Some of my writing with one of the above has almost turned black.... 

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a blunder and posted it in wrong thread.........what was I doing when I did that seriously thinking right now..........sorry for the mess.

swabs are in and I will let pic do the talking. The images of swabs are quite different and the dark in KWZ far exceed Sallix.....Sallix feels muted down in comparison, well aside from that swabs are in....finally.

The images were taken on 15th.....again sorry for mess up here.

large.967698746_Swab1months.jpg.3e7291a74c1e1c3ab8a9469b86a78469.jpg