Any good wooden pens?

Diethylether

I just came across this:

large.1527458727_FWIFenestroinBocote.jpg.5eb0883b1f2c8aa83965428fb135b496.jpg

Looks pretty nice, and I was impressed by the build quality and writing performance of my Fine Writing International ‘Planet Series: Mercury’ pen, but then that pen is much, much cheaper than this.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Diethylether

• bayindirh

• JosephKing

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

Omas made a series of wood pens. They were above 300 when they were on sale but maybe a second hand one can be find.

Yes, the Omas Cristoforo Colombo II, for example--a stunning pen, and if you can find one in the OP's price range, I'll take ten!

There are the matte Nakaya Briarwoods which run $400 - you may be able to find one pre-owned nearer $300 if you hunt around awhile. They're not as popular as Nakaya's ebonite urushi pens, but you still get their craftsmanship.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

13 hours ago, hari317 said:

within 300USD probably some choices

Pilot Custom Maple- screw cap

Platinum 3776 Briarwood Light/Dark/Shell Briar -push cap

Platinum 3776 Yakusugi (Cedar) when on sale -push cap

If lucky a Platinum Izumo in Tagayasan wood comes in Glossy and Matte- screw cap

a Long forgotten pen called the Monteverde Megawood -screw cap.

Custom pen from Fosfor pens-the pen has a full internal liner.

Very inexpensive: Lamy ABC with a wooden barrel, lovely pen.

Thank you for this list. I think I would go with Japanese pens as buying them at my place is much cheaper than most European pens. The Faber Castell ambition is nice, but it's too overpriced (over usd200) and I can have a gold nib custom maple within this price. 

'The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth. ' George Orwell

10 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I just came across this:

large.1527458727_FWIFenestroinBocote.jpg.5eb0883b1f2c8aa83965428fb135b496.jpg

Looks pretty nice, and I was impressed by the build quality and writing performance of my Fine Writing International ‘Planet Series: Mercury’ pen, but then that pen is much, much cheaper than this.

An eye dropper wooden pen looks great! Both practical and beautiful.

'The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth. ' George Orwell

For the next pen that I'm going to buy, I would like a both practical and beautiful pen that will be carried around by me. As I personally like the wooden texture, I'm not really sure how durable the wood bodies are. As I asked a few staff in a pen shop, they said the body is easy to pick up stains and marks, and as here the weather is quite wet, I don't know will the wooden body has a crack as it absorbs water from the air frequently. I have a wooden dip pen which I accidentally made some water on it and now it has a really long and deep crack. 
So as for comparison, I also take the pilot custom heritage 92/912 into my comparing list. I have always been hearing that a piston filler is great for everyday uses, but some people also says that the con-70 holds pretty much ink. Are there any big differences between the con-70 and the heritage 92 piston? (Capacity/durability/reliability)

As for wooden pens I think would go with the pilot custom maple (or the 3776 century if it's on sale) because I would like to try off the pens first before I'll buy them. 

2 minutes ago, Aether said:

There is here a link for maker that makes some wood pens. 

https://www.stylo-art.com/?mode=f11

Looks great but a bit out of my budget.

1 hour ago, LoginlawHK said:

I think I would go with Japanese pens as buying them at my place is much cheaper than most European pens. The Faber Castell ambition is nice, but it's too overpriced (over usd200)

That should not preclude you for looking to source your pen(s) from overseas, though.

I got my Faber-Castell Ambition in coconut wood for less than US$75 a little over a year ago.

Today, even at full price without discount, Cult Pens in the UK will sell you one of those (and ship internationally ‘free‘) for less than US$115. If you order one in walnut or pearwood instead, then they're significantly cheaper — so much so that, on its own, the pen wouldn't qualify an order for free international shipping, so you'll need to add some bottled ink, spare converters or some such to make the £70 threshold.

48 minutes ago, LoginlawHK said:

here the weather is quite wet, I don't know will the wooden body has a crack as it absorbs water from the air frequently.

The Pilot Custom Kaede is not made of untreated maple. The ‘resin-impregnated’ aspect of the material gives is protection.

As for the Platinum #3776 Briar (PTB-30000BN), the pen body is “finished with a deep lacquer coating to ensure durability”. Pensachi is offering it at US$235 at the moment. I'm not recommending either the pen or that retailer per se, but I'm just noting what I saw; and I haven't looked any further to see which of my favourite, trusted retailers may (or may not) be offering it at even lower prices.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

8 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

The Pilot Custom Kaede is not made of untreated maple. The ‘resin-impregnated’ aspect of the material gives is protection.

As for the Platinum #3776 Briar (PTB-30000BN), the pen body is “finished with a deep lacquer coating to ensure durability”. Pensachi is offering it at US$235 at the moment. I'm not recommending either the pen or that retailer per se, but I'm just noting what I saw; and I haven't looked any further to see which of my favourite, trusted retailers may (or may not) be offering it at even lower prices.

Oh, thank you for this information. 

spacer.png

Personally, I think the Pilot Custom Kaede is a superior pen to the Platinum #3776 Briar, notwithstanding that it is also significantly cheaper. I have them both (and two other wooden-barrelled Platinum #3776 pens besides), but I only love the former; the others I'm quite prepared to part with, and that's unusual for me, especially when it comes to Japanese pens.

The Sailor ‘Precious Wood of the World’ is a major disappointment. I'd originally ordered two on eBay, but one was simply never sent by the seller (and I got an almost immediate refund when the deliver-by date finally passed and I complained). That's just as well; the barrel of the (quince wood) one I did receive is too slender for writing comfort, and its snap cap has not proven to be nearly as effective as the screw-caps on other Sailor models in preventing ink evaporation. My wife doesn't seem to mind it all that much, but if it was still in my fleet of pens instead of hers, it probably would never see any use.

Some Desiderata pens are made of wood, such as the Soubriquet (which coincidentally is exactly $300):

https://www.desideratapens.com/pens/soubriquet-cocobolo-one-piece-barrel

Desiderata makes pens that take both dip nibs or regular fountain pen nibs, making them arguably more interesting and versatile than most options. They are made in limited quantities though, so you need to sign up for their mailing list and jump on the pen you want when it's available.

4 minutes ago, BrassRatt said:

Moonman M6.

Sorry, but that's a piece of junk that dries out while properly capped in a matter of days; and the nib that comes fitted on it is nothing to write home about (or with), either.

4 hours ago, LoginlawHK said:

The Faber Castell ambition is nice, but it's too overpriced (over usd200) and I can have a gold nib custom maple within this price. 

Strange. When I check local prices, even the most expensive model (coconut wood) is cheaper than $100. $200+ is a bit too steep for an Ambition, you're right.

Like A Smug Dill I wasn't impressed by the Sailor wooden pens, I have one and it is my least favourite Japanese pen. I use it less than my little cheapie Pilots.

The Custom Kaede I don't have but I have tried a friend's a number of times - it's one of his favourites, and I now have one on my list. It's a super pen.

I *do* have a 3776 briar and enjoy it very much. It's super comfortable to write with.

The Ondoro is nice, and a lot cheaper (but maybe not where you are), and while the cap isn't 100%, the nibs are really good steel nibs, super quality, and I like the chunky hexagonal feel.

So all of those are good choices. 

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

On 1/12/2021 at 7:45 PM, JosephKing said:

I got mine during CultPens around the world sale + "US customer discount" for 253 GBP including shipping  (thanks to you, if I remember correctly).

Are you sure that's £253 and not £283? If I recall correctly, Platinum products were offered at 10% off during Cult Pens's Around The World sale. To arrive at £253 after the double-whammy of stacking the “US customer discount” on top of the brand discount, the list price would had to have been £375 (inc VAT) for the Izumo Tagayasan.

Today the Izumo Tagayasan is listed at £420 (inc VAT). It's doing the double-whammy thing again, but once you take off the tax component, then apply a 10% discount twice over, the effective price becomes £283.50, which is US$388 or thereabouts at today's exchange rate.

(duplicate post)

Edited by A Smug Dill

(duplicate post)

Edited by A Smug Dill

(duplicate post)

Edited by A Smug Dill