Any good wooden pens?

Diethylether

6 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Are you sure that's £253 and not £283? If I recall correctly, Platinum products were offered at 10% off during Cult Pens's Around The World sale. To arrive at £253 after the double-whammy of stacking the “US customer discount” on top of the brand discount, the list price would had to have been £375 (inc VAT) for the Izumo Tagayasan.

Today the Izumo Tagayasan is listed at £420 (inc VAT). It's doing the double-whammy thing again, but once you take off the tax component, then apply a 10% discount twice over, the effective price becomes £283.50, which is US$388 or thereabouts at today's exchange rate.

Too lazy to post the screen cap, but it was £253.12.  There was no VAT (a la US customer discount).

Edit: the number 375 seems familiar

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Diethylether

• bayindirh

• JosephKing

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JosephKing said:

Too lazy to post the screen cap, but it was £253.12.

Thank you for confirming the figure. It means that boat has well and truly sailed, and my mind can rest easy now, no longer struggling with should-I-shouldn't-I on the Izumo Tagayasan. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 1/11/2021 at 5:11 AM, LoginlawHK said:

Hello there, this is my first post here.

Currently I'm using the decimo and pro gear slim the most and I enjoyed both metal and resin pens. But I wonder are there any good wooden pens? I would like to have one as I like the touch of wood. I have seen pilot custom maple and sailor precious wood, but are there any more choices? I know wooden pens are not a common choice, but there should be some more.

I don't have much budget, so 300usd is maximum and I would like a gold nib.

Thank you so much!

As the King of the Desiderata Pen Company, I can tell you that I make wooden pens. They're not too bad. $300 and no gold nib, though? You're in mass market territory. A well designed wooden pen that doesn't look like cookie cutter trash is extremely time intensive with the all the steps required, and wanting a gold nib that eats at least $100 into the base price means there's not much left for the maker to have at the end of the day. Steel? No problem, but at that price, for a small manufacturer like me, you're asking him/her to ask for the least at which he can afford to sell the pen. Though it happens occasionally, that's not the prevailing direction of the currents of economics. 

Ryan Krusac makes a very very good pen. 

On 1/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, SoulSamurai said:

Some Desiderata pens are made of wood, such as the Soubriquet (which coincidentally is exactly $300):

https://www.desideratapens.com/pens/soubriquet-cocobolo-one-piece-barrel

Desiderata makes pens that take both dip nibs or regular fountain pen nibs, making them arguably more interesting and versatile than most options. They are made in limited quantities though, so you need to sign up for their mailing list and jump on the pen you want when it's available.

🙂

Look at Mr. Cypress in Taiwan. I've heard very good things about his wooden pens. 

Mr. Cypress Wooden Pens

I'm looking carefully at his catalogue and his line is extensive. 

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special