Need help identifying this pen

Thefo3

I saw this pen on the Netflix tv show Hannibal - Season 3 episode 7 - and cannot find what it is, the series is pretty dark so it's very hard to tell, I'd appreciate any help !

Thanks !

k.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thefo3

• Checklist

• Arkanabar

• Paul-in-SF

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see that part of that episode takes place in Italy. Can you tell us any more about the background situation? Who the pen belongs to, what is the era of the events in the story, where the pen is being used (what country), and so on?

The pen belongs to Hannibal Lecter, the episode happens in Italy but when we get to see the pen, the scene happens in the U.S.

He brought this pen with this notebook, and it seems to be some sort of mathematical equations to go back in time, sort of a fantasy. This is the only time we see this specific pen, in the previous season we saw a S.T. Dupont Défi F.P.

Maybe he already had this pen before but it's impossible to tell, because his desk was always way too dark to see anything.

As for the era, Hannibal uses an ipad, everyone has new smartphones, so count it as if it was recent.

That's all I have ! Thanks for your help !

I'll add that I am a beginner, I'm trying to scrap enough money to buy my first fountain pen in the next few months so I'm sorry if I cannot be if any more help. I'm trying to find ideas for my first pen, I only want one really since it's rather expensive but I write a lot so I'm sure I'll enjoy it too ! All I can see is that the bottom part looks to be metal-like. This is sadly the only shot of the pen...

@Thefo3, do you have an idea what you're looking for?  What kind of style, nib width, etc.?  How long are your writing sessions?  How rugged does the pen need to be?  I'm not trying to play 20 questions, but there are so many options that it's hard to make a recommendation without more info.  I love my $80 Lamy Studio, though, and the nib is designed to be swapped easily if you want to upgrade from steel to gold.  Very smooth writer and a nice finish, too.  Wouldn't complain if this was my only pen.

I do suggest going with a modern pen, since the maintenance tends to be simpler and they are replaceable if something happens.  They are also generally designed to be easily used by those who haven't had a fountain pen before, at least for the sub-$100 range.  (You might be surprised at how inexpensive fountain pens can be; the Pilot Metropolitan is ~$20, and I hear a lot of good things about it, though I've never owned one.  They look classy, too.)  Assuming you use a ballpoint or rollerball right now, you'll probably want a Western Fine or a Japanese Medium (Japanese pens run a size finer).

On the original subject, I don't know what it is but wouldn't assume anything about the pen in the TV show based on context clues.  I once watched a show on the Lusitania that had the captain of the U-20 writing in his log with a ca. 2015 Parker IM...

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

When recommending a first fountain pen, my first question is always, "What is your favorite writing instrument so far?  What do you like most about it?  What would you change about it if you could?  Do you like your pens heavy/light?  Slim/girthy?  Long/short?  Made of brass, stainless steel, chrome-plated, aluminum, plastic, sterling silver, gold filled, celluloid, ebonite, carbon fiber, lacquered?  With a broad or fine line?"

Once you have answers to all those questions, it's time to find a similar fountain pen.  If you don't have an answer, just pick one.  Bear in mind that your first fountain pen is likely not to actually suit your needs, which is why I recommend starting with something absurdly inexpensive, which usually means Chinese.  Chinese pens can be had for as little as USD2, and some entry level Pilot, Sailor, and Platinum pens can be had for around USD10-15, while disposable Japanese FPs (Platnium Preppy, Pilot Varsity) can be had for around USD3-4.

Use that pen as exclusively as you can for at least a month, and ideally for two or three.  Do so intentionally, paying attention to what you like and what bothers you.  Once you've got that well figured out, use what you've learned to inform your next pen purchase, repeating the cycle until you find yourself always preferring and using pens of a specific length, girth, weight, material, and nib width.  THAT is when you decide which high-end pens you want.

Bear in mind that many pen issues can be corrected with fairly easy and simple nib tweaks.  Search YouTube for information.  Many more can be corrected by trying a different ink.

@Checklist @Arkanabar : Thanks to the both of you for your input. I'll try to give as much details as I can !

I write a lot, everyday; sometimes for very long writing sessions and my hands tend to get sore, and sometimes multiple times a day to take notes down, short sentences etc, but overall I write every single day. I use a fisher space refill, I ordered some Monteverde soft roll but they're yet to be delivered.

I'd like a fine pen, as smooth as it can be, that's why I'm looking at fountains pens, a modern one although I do not care for the method of 'inking', a fine nib probably, not too fine tho, my handwriting is the worst and I'm sure I'll be able to do better with a fountain pen, so i guess like you suggested a western fine/ japanese medium would be perfect !

I want a modern look too, I don't like burgundy-like colors, or that other one that looks like wood I always forget its name, I don't like how some fountain pen look when they're really wide in the middle, like bloated.

Pens are not easily available in my country, so I will be a one time purchase therefore I want something of very good quality, very known brand that won't need repair.

I guess light pink would be a great color, like very light, or pink gold color, other than that, my dream pen is the S.T. Dupont Pharaoh, I think it's the most beautiful pen that I have ever seen, but that cost waaaay too much, maybe in a few decades I'll be able to afford it ! Hahaha

I wouldn't mind something a little bit expensive, I'd rather be patient and get something so maximum 200-300 bucks ? Although if it's 300 I'd have to wait a very long time, I also have to pay import fees in my country which is 25-30% of the price if the pen exceeds 125$ usd.

And good Water proof ink blue/soft pink(not fluorescent) as I'm a bit paranoid about losing what I write down ! Hahaha

And for the original subject I just like Hannibal Lecter as a character, so I look at his pens maybe they can be something I'll like, it would be a plus that it's a Hannibal pen ! :)

Thanks again !

Edited by Thefo3

I can vouch for the Monteverde refills being very smooth, to the point of being similar to a fountain pen.  Still have to press harder than for a fountain, though.

For a relatively fine but buttery smooth pen, Lamy's steel fines are very smooth, if uncoated; the black nibs are scratchy in my experience.  Their pens' style tend to be considered modern, and the Safaris and Al-Stars are lightweight and come in all sorts of colors, too.  Both are well below your max price ($30-40 in the US), and durable. 

The Pilot Metropolitan hits all the same points with a more traditional design, too.

I also agree with Arkanabar; pick an inexpensive pen to start just to try the concept.  Don't spend a lot on something you're unsure of.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes