Kaweco AL Sport thoughts

I always assumed there'd be a dodgy Chinese knock-off of the Kaweco Sport, but no, I hadn't seen it before. Some of the ones Delike offer are replicas of the modern Sport design, which is only 26 years old, not the historic version made by the original Kaweco company.

I do approve of how they made improvements to it, and surpassing the nib quality couldn't be hard, as Kaweco nibs seem pathetically inconsistent. The machining of the Al-Sport is top notch, though, and would be challenging to match.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• silverlifter

• Writing Uphill

• somanypens_toolittletime

silverlifter

I bought a Delike Sport knockoff a couple of years go in a tortoise shell finish: lovely pen, with a smooth fine nib. Dried out over a weekend, though. It was moved on promptly.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

The metal Alphas I have do not dry. Actually, either them or their USD4 sub-clones, I have had inked and left unused for weeks or over a month and they'd start writing from (or almost from) the beginning. So, it may be an issue with the plastic used in the plastic ones.

And yeah, it'd be nice to have a piston filler Sport.

Writing Uphill

I found the info on the converters in relation to Al Sports. According to JetPens, the slide converter works with Al Sports made after 2016. I can confirm it works with one I have that was probably made in 2020.

Thanks for that. I wonder if there's any way to tell if the model I have is pre or post 2016, other than buying a converter and trying. It seems worth a go, as the pen does hold cartridges less securely than other pens.

Writing Uphill
16 hours ago, RJS said:

Thanks for that. I wonder if there's any way to tell if the model I have is pre or post 2016, other than buying a converter and trying. It seems worth a go, as the pen does hold cartridges less securely than other pens.

The only way I knew about mine before trying a converter was because it was a new color. I don’t have an older one to compare to, but used to, and working from memory I can’t see any external differences.