Kaweco AL Sport thoughts

RJS

I'll start this by saying I'm a big fan of the Kaweco AL Sport, and use it regularly. It's just a bit too small, to the point of impracticality...

What I'm wondering is, who else would buy a slightly enlarged version? Perhaps 15mm longer and 1.5mm thicker? It would be more comfortable to hold and could actually hold a converter. Thoughts? I'm almost surprised Kaweco haven't tried it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• Writing Uphill

• silverlifter

• somanypens_toolittletime

I have one AL and two Skylines1. The AL has been constantly inked and in my front pants pocket every day since I purchased it around 7-8 months ago. Even though I have larger hands and prefer oversized pens for writing, the Sport is the perfect compromise, for me, for carryability and quick notes. Mostly, I post it, but from time to time I'll even use it unposted and find that it can get the job done. Posted, though, it is eminently usable.

I think one of the reasons the design has not changed in several decades, is like the L2k, they just got it right.

--

1. The Skylines live in my backpack and garage respectively.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

If they had got it completely right their Sport converter wouldn't be 1mm too long to fit ;)

I have fairly large hands too and find it comfortable to use, but a tiny size increase wouldn't destroy its pocketability would it?

Plus I wasn't suggesting they scrap the traditional pen, just add another size option, in a similar way to how Sailor have 3 size options for certain pens.

I also wouldn't complain if they returned to the more classical style of the pen before modern alterations, returning the piston filling system and gold nib... the pen appears to go through a cycle of changes, so perhaps the shortcomings introduced along with the modern Aluminium version (too short for converter) could be rectified. 😃

Here's a vintage incarnation of the pen: 

A0A2EF4B-31D3-4A34-B641-E1CC43167378.jpeg

I don't bother with the converter, as it is truly dire.

I just refill cartridges. they hold more ink. I have also inserted a spring from a cheap ballpoint click pen in the barrel of each pen, to prevent the cartridge from moving around or dislodging.

40 minutes ago, RJS said:

I also wouldn't complain if they returned to the more classical style of the pen before modern alterations, returning the piston filling system and gold nib... the pen appears to go through a cycle of changes, so perhaps the shortcomings introduced along with the modern Aluminium version (too short for converter) could be rectified. 😃

Here's a vintage incarnation of the pen: 

A0A2EF4B-31D3-4A34-B641-E1CC43167378.jpeg

I covet this pen. Not fussed about the nib as that's easily changed, but I'd SO like a piston filler version of a sport. Or any other decent pocket pen for that matter.

1 hour ago, silverlifter said:

I don't bother with the converter, as it is truly dire.

I just refill cartridges. they hold more ink. I have also inserted a spring from a cheap ballpoint click pen in the barrel of each pen, to prevent the cartridge from moving around or dislodging.

I don't own many cartridges, so I also refill empty ones using a syringe. It's a bit annoying when certain inks want priming and there's no converter to fiddle with. Haven't had one come lose or rattle about, yet, luckily.

Whilst Googling Kaweco I discovered the original company had folded back in the 70s, and then some new folk resurrected the brand name and classic pen names in the mid-90s. Original Kaweco made some funky looking Sport models shortly before folding- one apparently had a tapered grip and a hooded nib!

• 2 weeks later...

I quite like the Kaweco sport. I don't really mind the small convertor size, as I love different types of ink and like switching out my inks as possible. My main problem is the convertors don't always fit right... mine actually manages to rattle itself off the pen when it is not full... strange...

The converters only fit the plastic Kaweco Sport models, not the metal ones... They made it about 1mm or so too long. 🤦‍♂️

Oh I see... I did not know that was a thing. I only own the plastic ones... I'll probably never get an AL Sport then... I like my bottled ink too much and am too lazy to syringe fill a syringe lol.  huh strange.... what were they thinking?

I do syringe fill the cartridge in mine...

The aluminium version of the pen feels terrific in hand, and I'd still recommend it despite the need to syringe fill the carts.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:38 AM, RJS said:

I don't own many cartridges, so I also refill empty ones using a syringe. It's a bit annoying when certain inks want priming and there's no converter to fiddle with. Haven't had one come lose or rattle about, yet, luckily.

I have cut down an empty cartridge to fill the empty space in the back of the barrel, so there is no chance for the cartrige holding ink to come off. If I recall correctly, it's 19mm long (maybe a hair longer).

So would no one fancy a medium sized version of this to accompany the mini version in the line up? It's such a great design, it'd be great to see it on a pen closer to regular size.

5 hours ago, somanypens_toolittletime said:

My main problem is the convertors don't always fit right... mine actually manages to rattle itself off the pen when it is not full... strange...

Break open a cheap clicky ballpoint and put the spring in the back of the Sport and it will keep your cartridge or converter snug up against the nipple, no matter how much the pen gets jostled around in your pocket or bag.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:05 AM, RJS said:

The converters only fit the plastic Kaweco Sport models, not the metal ones... They made it about 1mm or so too long. 🤦‍♂️

This seems to no longer be the case. The converter fits fine in my Deep Red Al Sport, which is a newer release. Also, while it doesn’t hold as much ink, I’ve grown quite fond of the converter because it’s so fast to fill. Also, that fast action makes cleaning the pen a lot less time consuming than a twist convert. 

I wonder if they reduced the wasted space inside the end of the pen, or if they changed the converters? Last I checked shops still didn't recommend the converters...

5 hours ago, RJS said:

I wonder if they reduced the wasted space inside the end of the pen, or if they changed the converters? Last I checked shops still didn't recommend the converters...

I remember reading something about a change made to the pen barrel, but I don’t know how reliable a source it was.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:29 AM, silverlifter said:

Break open a cheap clicky ballpoint and put the spring in the back of the Sport and it will keep your cartridge or converter snug up against the nipple, no matter how much the pen gets jostled around in your pocket or bag.

oooh I definitely will give that a go. Thanks 

Sorry, but have no one here heard of the Delike Alpha?

For ~15USD you can get it from Amazon or eBay or Alibaba or many others. It is just that, a "clone" of the Sport with a slightly larger size to accommodate a standard ink converter. Their nibs are fairly nice. They do not have (that I remember) the threads inlaid in the AL cap, but use a plastic adapter instead. There are plenty of reviews to get more info.

The first alphas were "clones" (just remember the design is ~100 years old, hence hardly protected any more) of the Brass Sport, but then later started making AL versions and plastic ones. From my most humble point of view, quality is not up to pair with Kaweco, but nether is the price.

And if you do not want to risk spending 15USD, just order an unbranded clone (I now think the brand name is "C3") of the Brass Delike Alpha, which is ~3USD postage included, slightly larger and "cheaper" (cheaper converter, friction fit nib/feeder...) but all the same a nice substitute (I've had two of them for 2+ years in my jeans pocket with keys, coins, et al. and no major problem yet).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.