Would Technical Pen Discussions Go Here?

BigBlot

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BigBlot

• BaronWulfraed

• Tas

• flatline

Top Posters In This Topic

I used them back in the pre-CADD days.  I have full selections/sets of Staedtler, Rotring, and Faber Castell Technical pens packed away with my 'board drafting' tools that I acquired through the years and a number of jobs.  I never acquired any Koh-i-noor pens though.

I loved seeing the lines a skilled draughter made with them on a sheet of drafting vellum.

Have used Faber Castell, Koh-i-noor, and Rapidograph. Right or wrong, there were these large bottles of ink by Pelikan that we cut with water and used for mapping. For new mapping, we used plastic sheets we unrolled and cut to size. The same for drafting.

Had an ultrasonic cleaner with a dense plastic cup and a sort of lifter that sat inside. We'd fill the cup with solution, put the pens in it, filled the cleaner with water, and turned it on.

Technical pens came to mind courtesy of finding some at work some weeks ago.

Used an F-C TG-1 (with the humidifier "pill" in the cap) in my college days. Was ideal for filling out the 3x5 note card we were permitted to use during calculus exams (especially the 000 point -- until my mother startled me and I bent the tip).

In the 80s/90s as my art supply cabinet grew, I added a 7-pen (I think) and a 3-pen set of Koh-i-noor Rapidograph (not to be confused with rOtring Rapidograph -- I think the rOtring Isograph is the closer match to Koh-i-noor).

Okay, I'm confused. I remember the Faber Castell, which had black holders, IIRS, and dark gray Koh-i-noor holders with colored end caps that varied according to point/nib size (still had it written on the top of the cap). The last purchased were white holders, with Rapidograph in bold letters. These were sets in a plastic case, with a small squeeze bottle of ink. Rapidograph is a line of Koh-i-noor?

There was also an oddity: A fountain-pen looking body with Koh-i-noor on the pocket clip, a cap, and a removable cap on the end. The removable cap on the end concealed what looked like the knob of a converter (didn't know about converters then). The nib was missing. Maybe a fountain pen nib at one point?

This gives me flashbacks to the 70's and drafting classes in college!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

14 hours ago, BigBlot said:

Okay, I'm confused. I remember the Faber Castell, which had black holders, IIRS, and dark gray Koh-i-noor holders with colored end caps that varied according to point/nib size (still had it written on the top of the cap). The last purchased were white holders, with Rapidograph in bold letters. These were sets in a plastic case, with a small squeeze bottle of ink. Rapidograph is a line of Koh-i-noor?

https://www.kohinoorusa.com/rapidograph

https://www.rotring.com/us/technical-pens/196-rapidograph-pen-4006856155006.html

https://www.rotring.com/us/technical-pens/50-isograph-pen-4006856151008.html#

Koh-i-noor Rapidograph, like rOtring Isograph, are eye-dropper refillable.

rOtring Rapidograph uses a proprietary capillary cartridge

16 hours ago, BigBlot said:

There was also an oddity: A fountain-pen looking body with Koh-i-noor on the pocket clip, a cap, and a removable cap on the end. The removable cap on the end concealed what looked like the knob of a converter (didn't know about converters then). The nib was missing. Maybe a fountain pen nib at one point?

What you saw under the blind cap of that pen may have been the twist knob of a piston filler. The Rotring Tintenkuli was such a drawing pen with piston fill mechanism. I never understood whether it was designed to be a writer pen or a technical drawing pen. The front part with the tip could be unscrewed which allowed mounting different tip sizes.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/30724-rotring-tintenkuli-stylographs/

I have a set of Rapidographs somewhere in a desk drawer.  Haven't used them since college.  I didn't know until I was *in* college that they were considered drafting/ruling pens, because the only person I knew in high school who had some used hers for drawing, just like I mostly did (the original set of four pens were my high school graduation present from my parents -- I said that was what I wanted).  And then in college, for the class where we did isometric projections, we were required to use ruling pens like this one: https://shop.stlartsupply.com/products/pro-art-ruling-pen (although mine came with a set of drafting tools so it could attach to a compass).  
I was actually pretty PO'd with a couple of the guys in my class who *did* use Rapidographs for assignments -- and even more so that they didn't get caught by the professor....  But mostly I was just happy that I passed the class (I spent a fortune on 11x17 pads of drafting paper, because the drawing and inking had to be PERFECT).

I used my Rapidograph set (plus the three additional ones I bought that made larger lines than the tips in the set) for drawing with back then, but haven't in decades.

Although when I was working as a commercial artist, doing layout and pasteup, I always thought that it would nice to have some sort of non-repro blue ink to use in some of the finer tipped Rapidographs.  I didn't like the non-repro blue pencils (you had to keep sharpening them in order to get a fine enough line) or the non-repro blue ballpoints (which had fat blobby lines).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, BaronWulfraed said:

https://www.kohinoorusa.com/rapidograph

https://www.rotring.com/us/technical-pens/196-rapidograph-pen-4006856155006.html

https://www.rotring.com/us/technical-pens/50-isograph-pen-4006856151008.html#

Koh-i-noor Rapidograph, like rOtring Isograph, are eye-dropper refillable.

rOtring Rapidograph uses a proprietary capillary cartridge

Thanks. I fished out the pens I found at work, and noticed that they do have Koh-i-noor on the white barrels. Also found a Pelikan ink bottle and noticed it says it's for drawing on plastic The label also states it's waterproof.

The missing plastic cup we put nibs in before setting them in the ultrasonic cleaner has bothered me for years because I never could find one like it. Today I did. That cup was the Rapido-Eze jar with lifter, sans label and lid. By then, we'd pour in Rapido-Eze from bottles for cleaning.

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

I have a set of Rapidographs somewhere in a desk drawer.  Haven't used them since college.  I didn't know until I was *in* college that they were considered drafting/ruling pens, because the only person I knew in high school who had some used hers for drawing, just like I mostly did (the original set of four pens were my high school graduation present from my parents -- I said that was what I wanted).  And then in college, for the class where we did isometric projections, we were required to use ruling pens like this one: https://shop.stlartsupply.com/products/pro-art-ruling-pen (although mine came with a set of drafting tools so it could attach to a compass).  
I was actually pretty PO'd with a couple of the guys in my class who *did* use Rapidographs for assignments -- and even more so that they didn't get caught by the professor....  But mostly I was just happy that I passed the class (I spent a fortune on 11x17 pads of drafting paper, because the drawing and inking had to be PERFECT).

I used my Rapidograph set (plus the three additional ones I bought that made larger lines than the tips in the set) for drawing with back then, but haven't in decades.

Although when I was working as a commercial artist, doing layout and pasteup, I always thought that it would nice to have some sort of non-repro blue ink to use in some of the finer tipped Rapidographs.  I didn't like the non-repro blue pencils (you had to keep sharpening them in order to get a fine enough line) or the non-repro blue ballpoints (which had fat blobby lines).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I first saw the 2mm lead and holders in the hands of high school students who were taking drafting. But by the time I took it, we were using 0.5mm mechanical pencils. Never used one until I started working full time. We used red lead for mark-ups, and had a manual rotary sharpener. Being somewhat impatient, I used those small flat pointers rather than walk to the sharpener. Don't know what happened to those. Still have a triangular sharpener for three size pencils, made in West Germany under the Koh-i-noor name IIRC. Still use it for sharpening 2mm leads on those rare occasions I use them. Some of the 2mm lead holders had a pointer in the push button, but I always had mixed results with those.

Never was exposed to ink drafting until I started working full time. Like it back in the day.