Jump to content

Aurora 88 (modern): nib slit off-center - quality implications?



Recommended Posts

Hello. I have come across an Aurora 88 Demonstrator with a nib with an off-center cut slit and assymetric engraving. Would many people even notice or consider the nib lower value or less attractive? Personally I'd prefer to look at a perfectly symmetrical one. Also, a question: How well do these Aurora medium nibs perform when writing upside down? Seeing this nib photo I have my doubts...

aurora 88 nib slit.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • oblique

    8

  • TheDutchGuy

    1

  • A Smug Dill

    1

  • Dione

    1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TheDutchGuy

I’ve seen way too many nibs with off-center slits. And some of those wrote amazingly well (while others didn’t). Let your hand be the judge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
A Smug Dill
49 minutes ago, oblique said:

Would many people even notice or consider the nib lower value or less attractive?

 

If someone is asked point-blank whether he/she would consider something technically imperfect — (especially) based on what is communicated by the questioning party as the ideal or standard of ‘perfect’, against which items and/or their value ‘should be’ judged — I'm sure the majority would ‘consider’ and/or say a technically imperfect object, such as what is presented, is of lower value and/or less attractive than a perfect one.

 

What's the point of your question? How you feel about it is what matters here (outside of the question of whether you have sufficient cause to, and whether the retailer would reasonably accept a, return of the product as defective or unsatisfactory, at no cost to you whatsoever at this time. If you genuinely aren't happy with it, and the retailer will let you, return it for exchange or refund. How the next random, faceless person may feel if or when you want to resell the pen is hardly relevant.

 

56 minutes ago, oblique said:

Also, a question: How well do these Aurora medium nibs perform when writing upside down?

 

It's not advertised as a feature that is inherently supported by the design and manufacturing standards of Aurora nibs. You can test yours and see whether the unit you have will do it well (which may or may not interfere with your eligibility for returning the product by testing the nib inked). Even if 95% of nibs will reverse-write well enough, it still doesn't mean yours won't fall within the remaining 5%.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheDutchGuy said:

I’ve seen way too many nibs with off-center slits. And some of those wrote amazingly well (while others didn’t). Let your hand be the judge.

Thank you! I haven't bought the pen yet. If I have the opportunity to try it out (dipped), I definitely will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

 

If someone is asked point-blank whether he/she would consider something technically imperfect — (especially) based on what is communicated by the questioning party as the ideal or standard of ‘perfect’, against which items and/or their value ‘should be’ judged — I'm sure the majority would ‘consider’ and/or say a technically imperfect object, such as what is presented, is of lower value and/or less attractive than a perfect one.

 

What's the point of your question? How you feel about it is what matters here (outside of the question of whether you have sufficient cause to, and whether the retailer would reasonably accept a, return of the product as defective or unsatisfactory, at no cost to you whatsoever at this time. If you genuinely aren't happy with it, and the retailer will let you, return it for exchange or refund. How the next random, faceless person may feel if or when you want to resell the pen is hardly relevant.

 

Thanks. I wanted to know A) Whether I was being too much of a perfectionist in this matter and B), whether such a nib would be more difficult to resell. I haven't bought the pen yet...

 

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

 

It's not advertised as a feature that is inherently supported by the design and manufacturing standards of Aurora nibs. You can test yours and see whether the unit you have will do it well (which may or may not interfere with your eligibility for returning the product by testing the nib inked). Even if 95% of nibs will reverse-write well enough, it still doesn't mean yours won't fall within the remaining 5%.

 

Thank you. I find nibs that write (differently) each side up very useful. Vintage pens seem to pamper one in this respect, or at least that has been my experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S. I just looked at the photo above again and it could be that the section has a hairline crack at 12 o'clock. Or maybe just a longitudinal scratch on the inside. Another reason not to buy this pen sight unseen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Dione said:

The off center cut nib slit would certainly put me off buying it. 🙁

Thanks! I am having similar feelings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
mizgeorge

If you take a look at some google images for an 18k Aurora nib, you'll see that that they appear to be consistently slightly off centre, and almost none have perfectly symmetrical engraving. It doesn't appear to affect the perceived quality. 

 

I'm not a particular fan of 18k nibs - I find them generally a bit too soft (just too high a gold content) so I wouldn't pay a premium for one, but if the pen's at a good price, that nib wouldn't stop me from considering it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Karmachanic

We live in an imperfect world. Humans are asymmetric. The left side of your face is not exactly the same as the right, but your mum loves you anyway! Insistence on perfection leads to an unhappy life.

 

The engraving is not asymmetric. Ignore the slit and look again.

 

Plus what mzgeorge said.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

If you take a look at some google images for an 18k Aurora nib, you'll see that that they appear to be consistently slightly off centre, and almost none have perfectly symmetrical engraving. It doesn't appear to affect the perceived quality. 

 

Or people just aren't that interested in details. (I never noticed this defect the first couple of times I was viewing the ad...)

 

3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I'm not a particular fan of 18k nibs - I find them generally a bit too soft (just too high a gold content) so I wouldn't pay a premium for one, but if the pen's at a good price, that nib wouldn't stop me from considering it.

 

Well this one is supposed to be a nail, no problem with softness ;) Golden nib coated with lesser materials - I think there's exactly no point in it being a golden nib, except bragging rights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

We live in an imperfect world. Humans are asymmetric. The left side of your face is not exactly the same as the right, but your mum loves you anyway! Insistence on perfection leads to an unhappy life.

 

Well if I was paying my mum to create me, I sure would expect more careful work! ;)

 

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

The engraving is not asymmetric. Ignore the slit and look again.

 

Plus what mzgeorge said.

 

You're right there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Honeybadgers

Personally, this can drive me nuts. I hate it on high-end pens. I'd have asked aurora to fix it.

 

strange though, every nib they make passes through the hands of a nibmeister.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

To add an unexpected turning / ending to this story:

 

I have finally purchased the pen, because I realized that the photograph with the off-center nib slit was just a stock photo and not the actual pen for sale.

 

However, the pen has another problem (missing metal ring under the piston knob) which made me look for photos. And thus I discovered the source of the original nib photograph: Aurora itself. https://www.aurorapen.it/prodotto/888-n-stilografica/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...