What is on your bench?

VacNut

7 hours ago, Switala said:

This week will be dedicated to Parker 21 ...

During the weekend they were soaked and washed.

Now repairs and adjustments begin ...

WP_20210201_14_05_15_Rich (2).jpg

I see three different mostly versions of the 21 with mostly non-interchangeable parts.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacNut

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• es9

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, es9 said:

Deixe-nos saber se você descobrir algum truque para evitar quebrar coisas ou para alinhar as pontas / feeds na marca I.  

I haven't discovered any efficient tricks yet.

I follow some rules, two days of soaking before touching any donut.

I always go through the ultrasound after the first day of bath and when I take off to work.

In fact, they are very fragile and the second generation P 21s are complicated to align the assembly.

The only special attention I give is to the old clutch position mark.

From then on, I am positioning by trial and error.

Patience but very rewarding work, they are great writers when they are in good condition.

PS: Even a box of spare parts is not enough to guarantee that everything will be fine ...🤪

27 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

Vejo três versões diferentes do 21, principalmente com peças não intercambiáveis.

You are correct, and you still have a counterfeit that I only realized when I disassembled it.

The feeder next to the blue shell is mounted with the nib.

The feeder has no fins and the feather is generic.

The metal guard of the ink sac is original ... Looking closely at the body and the shell it is possible to identify the ones that are not original.

3 hours ago, Switala said:

You are correct, and you still have a counterfeit that I only realized when I disassembled it.

The metal guard of the ink sac is original ... Looking closely at the body and the shell it is possible to identify the ones that are not original.

I have bought 21s as daily users. They have always been useable without restoration. Do they need much work to restore? I have never taken one apart, as they are so dependable.

6 hours ago, Switala said:

That is not counterfeit, it is the first configuration of the 21. 

there is a nib alignment and insertion jig/tool that was used for assembly. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

7 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

Isso não é falsificado, é a primeira configuração do 21. 

há um alinhamento de ponta e um gabarito / ferramenta de inserção que foi usado para a montagem. 

Farm Boy, I really don't know this version of feed in 21 (Photo of the white feeder). This black ration that appears in the photo is from the first version. The versions have a number of differences and most parts cannot be interchangeable. But I will study more about this smooth ration, I may be very wrong. Thank you for drawing my attention. There is also a photo of the barrel with the brand of the company that produced it.
As for the template for assembly, I have never seen any, but I have used patience and it has worked, the 21 after being reviewed work very well. If you can indicate bibliography about it I would like to thank you.

10 hours ago, VacNut said:

Comprei 21s como usuários diários. Eles sempre foram utilizáveis sem restauração. Eles precisam de muito trabalho para restaurar? Eu nunca desmontei um, pois eles são tão confiáveis.

VacNut, the second version is very similar to the 51 aero.

The first version is more simplified but very problematic.

The great difficulty is to remove them from breaking, they are extremely fragile due to the plastic used.

I do not recommend disassembling, only in case of some serious problem that a good bath will not solve.

1.jpeg

21.jpeg

Image.jpeg

7 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

there is a nib alignment and insertion jig/tool that was used for assembly. 

Wow, cool.  Have you come across any other info about this?  

9 hours ago, es9 said:

Wow, cool.  Have you come across any other info about this?  

Yes I own one. No clue where. 

Procrastinating on my work. Started putting away cleaned pens and found I had more of a backlog than I thought. 
Next set of pens to be cleaned.

F4D8829B-3CBF-4F32-B3F4-59AC60B5CE08.jpeg

Updating the workbench, here are some 21 that were ready, and a Duo 45 Custom - Green - Made in Brazil. I remembered why the 21 were accumulating in the box, they are very fragile pens and the plastic does not accept as well as the 51 some repairs. I was impressed with the amount of hair fractures they have. MK l were shown to be more whole than MK l, perhaps because MK l were not widely used due to their well-known problems.

But ready they are very beautiful, with vibrant colors and great writers.

WP_20210211_17_58_22_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210211_17_59_22_Rich (2).jpg

On 2/7/2021 at 3:38 AM, eckiethump said:

Is there any imprint on the "Burgundy" ? horizontal vac pen, very unusual colour and clarity 👍

et

That is a sad, sad, heartbreak. It is an Italian celluloid Columbus Extra 104 in the final stages of its life. It looks unused with beautiful cap clarity, but the barrel is suffering from celluloid rot.

I leave it out to keep it ventilated and to remind me to ventilate all my pens 😭😢😥

534F20D4-233A-48D6-B591-DEBAD865A547.jpeg

D32F3FED-CDD8-4C77-A9CC-44BE66541E8B.jpeg

B23C03FD-C3E1-4864-B9D3-75CDF4DBD6CF.jpeg

2B094713-41AC-4D87-A9DB-D5562BDDC051.jpeg

BE505B11-A34B-41FD-B361-82CFE8FDEDD1.jpeg

On 2/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, Switala said:

Updating the workbench, here are some 21 that were ready, and a Duo 45 Custom - Green - Made in Brazil. I remembered why the 21 were accumulating in the box, they are very fragile pens and the plastic does not accept as well as the 51 some repairs. I was impressed with the amount of hair fractures they have. MK l were shown to be more whole than MK l, perhaps because MK l were not widely used due to their well-known problems.

But ready they are very beautiful, with vibrant colors and great writers.

WP_20210211_17_58_22_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210211_17_59_22_Rich (2).jpg

I use several 21, and they have always been reliable. Does the heat and humidity in Brazil after the plastic?

On 18/02/2021 at 15:14, VacNut said:

Eu uso vários 21, e eles sempre foram confiáveis. Faz o calor e a umidade no Brasil depois do plástico?

Here we have a very large thermal range, from 50 ° F to 113 ° F at this time of year, with very high relative humidity. I am sure that they contribute to this very common flaw in the "21", which we find here.
As writers I cannot complain, they are excellent. MK l are more prone to vomiting, but MK ll can compare to "51" in reliability.

Regards

The 21 was one of my dad's favorite pens (despite having 51s, Sheaffer TDs & snorkels, and an MB 149).  I have a few 21 MK IIs that write very well.  And the guts of the Super 21 are pretty darn similar to the 51 Special -- save for the plastic.  Therein lies the problem, however.  Maybe I'm unusually careless, but working on 21s is like russian roulette.  Moreso than other pens, I find I need at least two unrestored 21s to get one restored 21.  

(As an aside I have a number of 21 parts -- especially non-Super nibs -- if anyone needs any.)

9 minutes ago, es9 said:

A 21 era uma das canetas favoritas do meu pai (apesar de ter 51s, Sheaffer TDs e snorkels e uma MB 149). Eu tenho alguns 21 MK IIs que escrevem muito bem. E as entranhas do Super 21 são bem parecidas com as do 51 Special - exceto pelo plástico. É aí que reside o problema, no entanto. Talvez eu seja extraordinariamente descuidado, mas trabalhar nos 21s é como roleta russa. Mais do que outras canetas, acho que preciso de pelo menos duas 21s não restauradas para ter uma 21 restaurada.  

(Como um aparte, eu tenho um número de 21 peças - especialmente nibs não Super - se alguém precisar de alguma.)

Don't worry, don't be careless! Anyone who has worked with 21 knows the difficulty and the risk with the materials of this pen. I also maintain a reasonable amount of parts that have been rendered obsolete by unsuccessful restorations. They often serve as donors for new projects. A few days ago I took advantage of a Nib octanium to finish a "51" special. I also make available the pieces of 21, whoever is looking for, be sure to ask.
Regards

Quick question for the Vac fans on here: do the non-transparent bands darken too? I have two three-band lock-downs (from ‘37 and ‘38) that I swear are silver. In the right light, however, the barrels look a little greenish. Alternatively, are the parts on these mis-matched? 

FA2A05B0-4744-4BD1-BAB4-D3E35F80B71D.jpeg

D09A0BB2-360C-4C0E-8795-57575AEB0E28.jpeg

White metal clip, bands, and tassie channel silver pearl pen. 

13 hours ago, es9 said:

Quick question for the Vac fans on here: do the non-transparent bands darken too? I have two three-band lock-downs (from ‘37 and ‘38) that I swear are silver. In the right light, however, the barrels look a little greenish. Alternatively, are the parts on these mis-matched? 

FA2A05B0-4744-4BD1-BAB4-D3E35F80B71D.jpeg

D09A0BB2-360C-4C0E-8795-57575AEB0E28.jpeg

The clear sections will change color from the ink. The ambering makes the pen look brown or green, but the parts are true to the pen. It looks like an oversize. How are the imprints and nib?