What is on your bench?

VacNut

11 hours ago, FarmBoy said:

The pen you have is the black version of a Golden web called reticulated by collectors. 

Do you know the name Parker called the pen?

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacNut

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• es9

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, VacNut said:

Do you know the name Parker called the pen?

Some research has lead me to conclude juniorette in transparent black. Is that right?

Also, is this color/size combination particularly unique? I’m still trying to figure out if I want to keep it considering it will not be a great writer. 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, es9 said:

Some research has lead me to conclude juniorette in transparent black. Is that right?

Also, is this color/size combination particularly unique? I’m still trying to figure out if I want to keep it considering it will not be a great writer. 

Just my opinion, if the pen doesn’t raise your pulse, maybe you should consider parting with the pen and purchasing a pen that does raise your pulse?
I wouldn’t consider the pen rare, more “uncommon”.  I have rebuilt one and am working on the other pen. Both pens have the Olsen Danish Imprint.

BFF0F7BC-4B6A-42F6-9998-955A40F8A5A3.thumb.jpeg.40877132406f237dfaf3f790c48e18f2.jpeg

209D6604-C9E4-4EE2-B85B-3D28544ABC54.thumb.jpeg.0ae5790b43f1dc2a0841dc0de2bba9fc.jpeg

The reticulated barrel is really cool when the light shines through the pattern. I would be interested in seeing an unambered barrel to see the full effect.

I am have been researching the two pens to the left of the reticulate pens. The have a vertical striation and great color. The pens are similar to shadow wave pens combined with the Duofold toothbrush deco pattern. They are also both marked Olsen with only slight ambering.

Not doing any real “work” on some pens per se, as I still need to buy some sacs and get up enough courage to pull the sections on a couple of my stubborn sheaffers, but did a bunch of cleaning and shining 👍

the snorkel needs some work, it was supposed to be restored when I bought it, but it leaks into the barrel....writes great though

the wide-band vac-filler was totally opaque, until I cleaned out a bunch of purple(!) ink, and now I get some ambered lines with a light

the statesman just below is a fully restored vac-filler, but the nib is scratchy as all get out....I bought a nib-smoothing stick and some mylar stuff but to no avail, need to send it out

I got my first section out on the left with a good heat gun (infinitely variable!), but the others I tried aren’t budging just yet....

C799D278-EAEC-4AB4-B588-F0A4D3F6E8CC.jpeg

3 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

the statesman just below is a fully restored vac-filler, but the nib is scratchy as all get out....I bought a nib-smoothing stick and some mylar stuff but to no avail, need to send it out

Have you taken a close look with a magnifier to make sure the tines are aligned?  If it's that scratchy, they might not be.  

Lovely pens!  The color on the jade balance looks beautiful. 

Rather disappointingly a Pelikan M150 old style which decided to collect a full fill of ink behind the piston seal. I suspect there's a problem with the seal, and as far as I'm aware, there's no way to replace it. Which is very annoying. I know I can use the nib (which is a fantastic 1.0 from the old italic range) in another pen, but I hate having to give up on a chick, and I'm not quite ready to do so with this one.

4 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

Not doing any real “work” on some pens per se, as I still need to buy some sacs and get up enough courage to pull the sections on a couple of my stubborn sheaffers, but did a bunch of cleaning and shining 👍

the snorkel needs some work, it was supposed to be restored when I bought it, but it leaks into the barrel....writes great though

the wide-band vac-filler was totally opaque, until I cleaned out a bunch of purple(!) ink, and now I get some ambered lines with a light

I got my first section out on the left with a good heat gun (infinitely variable!), but the others I tried aren’t budging just yet....

C799D278-EAEC-4AB4-B588-F0A4D3F6E8CC.jpeg

That is an amazing color on the jade. The snorkel filler is one of the most complex filling system I have encountered. I wasn’t intending to disassemble the pen, but I twisted the knob too hard and sprung the spring. Is it possible to find parts for the pen?

19 minutes ago, VacNut said:

That is an amazing color on the jade. The snorkel filler is one of the most complex filling system I have encountered. I wasn’t intending to disassemble the pen, but I twisted the knob too hard and sprung the spring. Is it possible to find parts for the pen?

Can you post a picture?  Parts are readily available.  I have found the easiest way is to buy a parts pen on eBay.  The spring is a little risky because it can rust so easily, but I have generally had good luck.  (I personally love snorkels -- so much that perhaps I should change my handle to SnorkNut.)  

...which reminds me...

4 hours ago, Teterman2005 said:

I would stop using the pen and immediately disassemble/clean and dry it.  As Ron explains here, the springs are carbon steel and seem to rust scarily fast.  Once they rust, they can take other parts of the pen down with them.  I would also write to the person who restored it... leaking is unacceptable, imho.  

1 hour ago, es9 said:

Have you taken a close look with a magnifier to make sure the tines are aligned?  If it's that scratchy, they might not be.  

Lovely pens!  The color on the jade balance looks beautiful. 

Thanks!  I got lucky on the jade one, I was focusing my collecting to slenders, snorks, touchdowns, etc because the OS models were so pricey and somehow I won the auction at about half what I expected (really blurry photos helped out a lot 😜)

On the statesman, I can’t see any mis-alignment under the loupe, but I’m guessing (hoping?) that’s the problem because I also can’t really see any tipping material....the nib writes pretty fine (but not XXF) but it digs into the paper.  I’m a hook lefty, and it digs on the downstrokes leaving tiny tufts of schlub on the nib after half a dozen lines of writing.   The pen is too nice for me to make this my first real nib adjustment, I’ll save that for my cheapies

29 minutes ago, es9 said:

I would stop using the pen and immediately disassemble/clean and dry it.  As Ron explains here, the springs are carbon steel and seem to rust scarily fast.  Once they rust, they can take other parts of the pen down with them.  I would also write to the person who restored it... leaking is unacceptable, imho. 

Yeah, I didn’t notice it for a few refills and then I wasn’t sure if it was my fault for “over-dipping” the snorkel and feed somehow causing ink to capillary up into the body.  I think one of the seals is bad, have to look up which seal up and how to replace it.  The pen writes an amazing thick M line though....sheaffers are incredibly smooooth when tuned right (unlike my statesman!)

27 minutes ago, es9 said:

A few Vacs this week and Italian celluloid pens.

The brown pearl Vac is always a favorite. The Emerald OS is a Canadian pen with a great two-tone vac nib. It cleaned up nicely with the common ambering, but little brassing.

The Italian pens are just wonderful. The celluloid have a wonderful soft and warm feel. The simple push button filler is easy to maintain. The steel nibs are surprisingly flexible. The marbled blue pen is amazing. Too bad there isn’t a Vac equivalent.

ABADCD97-74CD-4E96-A0AD-F01EBF87A4D3.thumb.jpeg.1d1c23a3ab88416385784b2a79e33f1d.jpeg

F1B431CE-8654-4207-A002-40A89101B3F9.thumb.jpeg.2246765c317a44a83ff863ea8771489c.jpeg

3CE799CB-0304-42EB-8EEC-AF9CC846F839.thumb.jpeg.2fe31d0cc721d1c431ba56bc9df1f222.jpeg

I’m digging the two Italian pens 👍!!  Is there a company name on either?  I need to broaden my eBay searches!

The Italian pens are a hit or miss. They borrowed heavily on the style, colors, and trends of the US, but were hampered by the availability of precious metals. The plating on these 2nd tier pens tend to be thinner, and most of the nibs are steel.

There are some simple gems that just sparkle. I wonder what they could have done if more resources were available. 

Like Parker, some of the higher-end mfrs produced pens for the 2nd tier markets. 

51354990-316E-49BA-84C8-54B7C0BCC06D.thumb.jpeg.d35646d70d93eac4738865f27d8e5ca8.jpeg

B2B98F0C-15DF-44CB-AD79-04E613631A16.thumb.jpeg.47cb2dc16cdd4a8177585a0ae991247c.jpeg

The blue transparent pen reminds me of the marbled burgundy vac that Parker made.

35 minutes ago, Teterman2005 said:

I’m digging the two Italian pens 👍!!  Is there a company name on either?  I need to broaden my eBay searches!

The black pen is a Zemax. The blue pen is an Aprilia which is a sub-brand of a major mfr

I wish Parker or other US companies made pens in these colors. The green marbled pen is similar to some Eversharp pens

3030F5E8-DDDC-4BD8-989D-599003739B9E.thumb.jpeg.8ef3121746c0d10097c7fab46a2d1239.jpegA8917CF9-4F16-4738-8116-FCFBCFBF57AE.thumb.jpeg.9d75ff4bbe97a377853f703c778b3e8c.jpeg

Just now, VacNut said:

The black pen is a Zemax. The blue pen is an Aprilia which is a sub-brand of a major mfr

I love the various Italian and German manufacturers you never hear about without digging around....pure classic style pens you got there!!

Speaking of Eversharp, a well-executed Wilma clone and a Golden Web clone from Stil Roma. Being a button filler, the pen is not transparent like a Vac.

7E7C40EE-2F7D-4FF6-A772-FA65CF3CD9CA.thumb.jpeg.99018e2f075c99858a14f94525d5a98a.jpegC049896D-7F56-4C56-943C-F1B141E4A1CD.thumb.jpeg.d05cc19a91f25d19601bcc7ff883168c.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Teterman2005 said:

I love the various Italian and German manufacturers you never hear about without digging around....pure classic style pens you got there!!

Letizia Jacopini who is a member of this forum has several wonderful books on these pens. If you contact her she may still have available books. She autographed and personalized mine!!

On 3/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, es9 said:

Can you post a picture?  Parts are readily available.  I have found the easiest way is to buy a parts pen on eBay.  The spring is a little risky because it can rust so easily, but I have generally had good luck.  (I personally love snorkels -- so much that perhaps I should change my handle to SnorkNut.)  

...which reminds me...

I have to search for the pen. The spring was rusted and I gave up on the pen, as a I got swept up by another pen type - as my moniker implies...

Has anyone tried using sanding swabs before?  Stumbled across them by accident, but I figure they could have a number of uses.  For example, cleaning rust out of the inside of a snorkel spring.  Or the very fine ones could be use to work out scratches inside translucent barrels that are too deep for microgloss.