What is on your bench?

VacNut

2 hours ago, es9 said:

How can I drill it out without destroying the threads/seat?

You do not. Have it sent out. If you like you can send the restorer a replacement filler unit. I have used Parker51 and the Ink-Pen with great success. Both chaps do great work and are sincere in their approach.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacNut

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• es9

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A burgundy vac came in the post yesterday missing a nib with a corroded filler. Work is hectic so I pledged not to fully rebuild the pen, but only disassemble the pen. As I started taking it apart, I noticed it was made in the USA with very good transparency and little brassing. I was pleasantly surprised to see a ‘25’ date code. I need to research further, but this should date the pen very early in the manufacturing.

Still trying not to drop work and rebuild the pen 😀

85069024-ED7E-411A-B435-3FBDCF8A0209.jpeg

22404AD2-8233-4C62-B0BB-8CD66C9D2052.jpeg

39094101-FA99-4D05-9A53-EB780B92AEDC.jpeg

Finishing that 51, Vac. General cleaning and bag replacement was done ... ready for a few more years of activity.

WP_20210120_18_00_38_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210120_18_02_13_Rich (2).jpg

2 hours ago, Switala said:

Finishing that 51, Vac. General cleaning and bag replacement was done ... ready for a few more years of activity.

WP_20210120_18_00_38_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210120_18_02_13_Rich (2).jpgt

Those are very sharp and clean imprints. Has the pen seen use?

When cleaning a 51 barrel, is there a simple process to check the cleanliness of the barrel for ink residue?

24 minutes ago, VacNut said:

Essas são impressões muito nítidas e limpas. A caneta já viu uso?

Ao limpar um barril de 51, existe um processo simples para verificar se há resíduos de tinta na limpeza do barril?

It is a pen of my frequent use, parked on my bench because the diaphragm punctured.

A very small hole but I started to notice the dirty bone.

I do a visual inspection with a good flashlight, looking for paint scraps and cracks.

Lastly, I place the flashlight behind the barrel and I can see dirt in detail, even in the darkest colors, it just doesn't work on black Indian.

I don't have any vac without painting, but I keep two aero that have never seen paint.

10 hours ago, VacNut said:

A burgundy vac came in the post yesterday missing a nib with a corroded filler. Work is hectic so I pledged not to fully rebuild the pen, but only disassemble the pen. As I started taking it apart, I noticed it was made in the USA with very good transparency and little brassing. I was pleasantly surprised to see a ‘25’ date code. I need to research further, but this should date the pen very early in the manufacturing.

Still trying not to drop work and rebuild the pen 😀

85069024-ED7E-411A-B435-3FBDCF8A0209.jpeg

22404AD2-8233-4C62-B0BB-8CD66C9D2052.jpeg

39094101-FA99-4D05-9A53-EB780B92AEDC.jpeg

Is that a stub?

1 hour ago, es9 said:

Is that a stub?

Cricks!! You have good eye sight. Yes. Re-tipped to be a stub. It is my preference for the Vac. 1.10mm.

Today was the day of the Vacs!

General cleaning, polishing the barrel and replacing the diaphragms.

Next stage polishing the Caps and removing some dents.

Highlight for this beautiful Demi from the first photo, she will need a new cap and clip, she arrived for me with the set of an aero.
Difficult to choose which one will come into use, they all write are very smooth.

Regards

WP_20210126_17_00_32_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210126_14_02_43_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210126_14_04_57_Rich (2).jpg

Edited by Switala
wrong picture

Speaking of vacs, funny question: is there a readily substitute for the pellet in replacement diaphragms?  I'm hoping I'm not the first person who somehow managed to lose one.  

Also, anyone know what adhesive should be used to reattach a cap band on a sheaffer balance?

2 hours ago, es9 said:

Speaking of vacs, funny question: is there a readily substitute for the pellet in replacement diaphragms?  I'm hoping I'm not the first person who somehow managed to lose one.  

Also, anyone know what adhesive should be used to reattach a cap band on a sheaffer balance?

I have never tried to replace a cap band, but based on my research, I believe the cap band is loose due to a cracked cap or cap shrinkage. The preferred repair is to “swage” the cap band onto the cap, rather than using an adhesive. It would involve the use of collets and chucks. You can search for the process on this forum. 

2 hours ago, es9 said:

There is usually a pellet within the replacement diaphragm. Did you lose that pellet?

1 hour ago, VacNut said:

There is usually a pellet within the replacement diaphragm. Did you lose that pellet?

Embarrassingly yes. I don’t know how, but it shot across the room and I have not been able to find it. 

8 minutes ago, es9 said:

Embarrassingly yes. I don’t know how, but it shot across the room and I have not been able to find it. 

Was it red or white. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure.  It was a replacement from David Nishimura, if that helps.  I just thought I'd check on here before totally giving up.  

4 hours ago, es9 said:

Infelizmente, não tenho certeza. Foi uma substituição de David Nishimura, se isso ajuda. Só pensei em dar uma olhada aqui antes de desistir totalmente.  

Wow, that pity. I'm very sorry about that. It never happened to me, and most of the diffragmas I have received the Pellet are stuck in the rubber. The only solution would be to remove it from an old bag that is no longer useful. But your misfortune serves as a warning, I will keep some pellets of old diffragmas that I replace, I never thought they could be useful. Good luck and try another search under the kitchen cabinet ... usually these things will end up in obscure places.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:28 PM, Switala said:

Today was the day of the Vacs!

General cleaning, polishing the barrel and replacing the diaphragms.

Next stage polishing the Caps and removing some dents.

Highlight for this beautiful Demi from the first photo, she will need a new cap and clip, she arrived for me with the set of an aero.
Difficult to choose which one will come into use, they all write are very smooth.

Regards

WP_20210126_17_00_32_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210126_14_02_43_Rich (2).jpg

WP_20210126_14_04_57_Rich (2).jpg

I am not a tremendous fan of the 51, as I prefer the laminate appearance on a Vac, but I agree on the charm of a smooth writing 51. Ink never dries, even after resting for weeks. The pen just keeps writing. Do you commonly remove the dents yourself?  

On 1/27/2021 at 6:12 AM, FarmBoy said:

Was it red or white. 

The white ones are from Pensac Co and the red ones were from Woodbin, whose sacs I thought were ever so slightly thicker walled ?

Talking of which, after Martin passed on, did anybody ever take on his Woodbin business and the making of the sacs etc ?

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

19 hours ago, VacNut said:

Não sou um grande fã do 51, pois prefiro a aparência laminada em um aspirador, mas concordo com o charme de uma escrita 51 lisa. A tinta nunca seca, mesmo depois de descansar por semanas. A caneta simplesmente continua escrevendo. Você costuma remover as marcas?  

I am also a big fan of large and exposed feathers, but in recent times vintages are increasingly rare here.

I have been working on 51 for lack of other options, mainly Pelikans.

I negotiated many lots where pens of different types and brands came, over the years this has gained a significant volume.

Pencils in great condition or special have punctured the line and entered the collection drawer, others more common or repeated are the ones I have posted when I am restoring.

Answering your question about removing the dents, for these pens that are not so interesting and very damaged, I have smoothed them all, other pens better cared for and of interest, I prefer to keep the marks of history.

Regards

A few Vacs came in the post this week. Some are more of a re-build that a simple cleaning. The Emerald OS has very little wear on the pen. Good imprints for a date code of 1935 made in the USA. Unfortunately, it looks like there is heavy amber Ing on the barrel. If I am lucky, I can return a few more Vacs to working condition.

6324D54A-0E69-43B8-A8FA-BA9345DABA37.jpeg

Along with the Vacs, a Whytwarth, Guinea Pen (Whytwarth) and Waterman 46. I thought I would try changing the seals on the safety pens, but I have to read up on how to safely knock out the pin on the rear knob. The Whytwarths are robust and I wonder how one can write which such a large diameter pen for an extended period. A waterman 42 is shown for comparison.

4DD90910-66C7-4B71-B618-53C6F4B20D91.jpeg

B6979FCB-E786-4647-9B81-2EF9C7DC18FC.jpeg