Availability Of Pelikan m200 Gold Marble. Is it running out?

TitoThePencilPimp

Was wondering if the Pelikan m200 gold marble is becoming scarce? I looked at a few  overseas websites and it appears to not available. I was considering adding it to my collection, but it is not a priority. But, it appears that in a few months, it probably won't be found in the $110-130 price range.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• chromantic

• TitoThePencilPimp

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ink has only just been announced and is not yet available. It's assumed a matching pen will follow. We're probably looking at February.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

39 minutes ago, chromantic said:

The ink has only just been announced and is not yet available. It's assumed a matching pen will follow.

I don't think he was talking about Golden Beryl.

See https://mam.pelikan.com/mam/en/pelikan/assets/60483

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

6 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Why go overseas when Goulet has it for $125?

Sounds like a clearance sale to me...

1 hour ago, N1003U said:

Sounds like a clearance sale to me...

It´s a special edition from 2019, so this could well be.

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I don't think he was talking about Golden Beryl.

See https://mam.pelikan.com/mam/en/pelikan/assets/60483

I'm embarrassed by my poor reading skills. 😧 Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Cult has the brown marble in stock.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:54 PM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I was considering adding it to my collection, but it is not a priority. But, it appears that in a few months, it probably won't be found in the $110-130 price range.

Hmmm, so does that increases the priority (out of fear of missing out on securing one in that price range, ahead of when you think you'll be good and ready), or just make it less interesting a prospective addition, because you adamantly refuse to be pushed by either limited retail availability or relatively low current pricing to act against your preferences, and so Pelikan (and/or retailers) will simply have to miss out on revenue from your purchase?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I thought they said at the time that the brown was going to be part of the standard line but Pelikan's US page shows only the blue 205 and green 200 as current models so you might want to grab one before prices sky-rocket.

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

… but Pelikan's US page shows only the blue 205 and green 200 as current models …

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.FWI.displayShop.252283./classic

1446760749_PartofPelikanUSIntlcataloguefortheM2xxClassic.jpg.feede8667d2ec50bafbafd285e916d19.jpg

I stand corrected then, Dill. I was going by the ones listed on these three pages, which shows all of those included in your link *except* the brown -

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.Core.displayFilter.252412./fountain-pens

I also meant the green and blue being the only current marbles, not the only current Classics; sorry if that wasn't clear. I was a bit surprised to see that the white 205 is current.

Fountain Pen Hospital website lists the M200 Brown Marbled under it's "Tradition" 200 Collection page showing also the M205 Blue Marbled and M200 Green Marbled as well as the classic Black M200.

That is all great information, but the original post was regarding the 2019 Special Edition M200 Gold Marbled. (I got mine then)

Because I got mine in 2019 I haven't really paid attention to it's current availability. I do know I paid more than $130 USD though - I paid something approaching $160 USD then. If you can find it now anywhere near $130 get it.  A quick Amazon search has two listings, one at $199.95 and another at $255.00. ($30 more than I paid for my M400 White Tortoise in fall 2018) Neither Cult Pens or The Writing Desk have it on their sites anymore - at any price. Both show the 2020 Pastel Green M200 at about 145 GBP, though.

So it will continue to be harder to source.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

24 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

Neither Cult Pens or The Writing Desk have it on their sites anymore - at any price.

Yes. At last, there's a reason to consider buying Pelikan from (certain) US-based retailers, on account of their still having dwindling stock — and quite likely because they're more expensive, at regular pricing or even when offered with seasonal discounts, than buying from authorised UK and European retailers online (which is an equally accessible option that does not discriminate against purchasers based in Australia, Brazil, Canada or the US). Scarcity can make otherwise uncompetitive candidates attractive, when the more competitive candidate offers have left the arena.

However, if the more expensive retailers still have a glut of units in stock to sell and/or clear, while the cheaper options have been cut off from the consumer who is familiar with pricing elsewhere in the globe, the product model may be discontinued but still it wouldn't yet count as “running out”. It's the opportunity to buy at the desired price point that may have “run out”.

I think mine cost me roughly US$95 back in November 2019, without having to pay for shipping from Europe to Australia because it was part of a larger, ‘qualifying’ order.