Pelikan's 2021 Ink Color: Beryl

OCArt

Aw, c'mon you guys... I don't have to like it, I just have to have it. I mean, it is a LE ink !

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• chromantic

• inkstainedruth

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, certainly lighter than I was imagining; the RO Heart of Gold might be preferable for legibility. Still ...

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2021 at 6:15 AM, jdemoso said:

I’m bought the 2020 Ink of the Year Moonstone, and I wanted to enjoy it, but I found it too dry. Is that common for the edelstein line?

Edelstein is not as consistent as the 4001 line which is dry. There are dry Edelstine and medium and may be even a wet one.

You have to read the reviews..........In I don't look for wet or dry; but shading; which is mostly a dry or at least medium ink...or it would not shade.....

...Shading is two tones of drying, where the thinner part of the letter dries faster than the fatter part; = two tones.

(I also care about feathering so don't recommend Aventurine....though the color is nice.)

What pen were you using?

Pelikan makes a 'wetter' nib for it's dryer inks.

I don't know what's modern, but a decade ago when Waterman was still The Thin Nib of the flame wars, it wrote thinner in it was designed for a wet ink...back then Waterman was wet; now some Noodler fans consider Waterman a dry ink...:yikes:

So often it deepens on which pen company you are buying to if a ink is wet or dry on their nib.

:happyberet: Moonstone shaded well for a pencil..... and was a dry ink.

So also try a slick paper....before writing it off.

This will be too light for me. and the wider the nib, the more glitter one can see.

I have 4-5 glitter inks in darker shading inks from Diamine, and really, got to dig out my extra wide nibs to see the glitter well.

My best glitter ink is a dark gray? Herbin....forget if it's gold or silver.........dam got to use that ink the next time I dig out a OBB. Can't just pat it on the head telling it, it's still the best.

Not going to stick that glitter stuff in my BB factory Stub maxi-semi-flex Australian Snorkel. Glitter is not for sac pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:13 AM, lapis said:

Aw, c'mon you guys... I don't have to like it, I just have to have it. I mean, it is a LE ink !

I'm with you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 1/22/2021 at 11:13 AM, lapis said:

Well, YOU may have to have it....  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looking at the picture, it's really pretty .... but it also reminds me strongly of my bottle of Diamine Golden Sands. ;) I may have to pass on this one. That will make it 5 years in a row I've resisted buying a bottle of Pelikan's Edelstein Ink of the Year.

Come to think of it, I have yet to buy *any* Pelikan ink.

I guess I'm more a Diamine kinda gal. Diamine and Pilot seems to dominate my ink collection.

Moonstone and Oliverine were very good inks. I bought two bottles of each.

Ruby, Garnet were not my taste. Aquamarine was.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

And I was somewhat the opposite.  Olivine I liked (I meant to get a second bottle but didn't), and Star Ruby I REALLY liked.  Aquamarine, not so much (I have the bottle from that year's Pelikan Hub but wasn't jumping up and down to get more).  I think the only "Ink of the Year" that I bought more than one bottle of was Smoky Quartz (I only bought one bottle of Amethyst, but had the tin of cartridges from that year's Hub).

I have a sample of Moonstone, but haven't gotten around to trying it.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

Pelikan's Perch had reported that this ink was to start shipping to retailers on 17th May. Looks like it's been delayed again? 

13 hours ago, anemography said:

Pelikan's Perch had reported that this ink was to start shipping to retailers on 17th May. Looks like it's been delayed again? 

Possibly. I ordered the M205 Petrol and a bottle of Beryl from Cult on May 3rd. After not hearing anything for 3 weeks, I emailed them on the 24th to inquire on my order status. They said that the Beryl was a pre-order item and were waiting to ship both items together. Still no shipping confirmation as of the 31st.

1 hour ago, Dione said:

I prefer the old Amber to this new Beryl

… from first-hand experience and/or physical inspection of writing samples of both? Or is that just conjecture based on Pelikan's marketing images and product description?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:19 AM, A Smug Dill said:

… from first-hand experience and/or physical inspection of writing samples of both? Or is that just conjecture based on Pelikan's marketing images and product description?

Just my own preference. I have P.E.Amber and love that colour although I don't use it often. I don't have Golden Beryl Shimmer but from pictures I've seen it looks more like a yellow ink than an amber/gold ink and I already have enough yellow inks.

15 hours ago, Naisirf said:

Akkerman in The Hague say it will be available the end of June.

Dagnabbit! That means I won't get my M205 Petrol til then.