Pelikan's 2021 Ink Color: Beryl

OCArt

Posted on Fountain Pen Oceania's Facebook page along with speculation that it will be a shimmering ink.

1849122372_ScreenShot2021-01-07at8_28_14PM.png.d7d7822de57f1aa21eb5424ec6377872.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• chromantic

• inkstainedruth

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not bad! Nice amber hue on the paper? Then I will get it...

Best

Jens

I’m bought the 2020 Ink of the Year Moonstone, and I wanted to enjoy it, but I found it too dry. Is that common for the edelstein line? I’ve been looking for a good yellow...

Photos on the Perch showing the whole bottle filled with a shimmering golden ink. Link on the Pelikan forum.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Wow, that's early this time. Until now they only mentioned these launches at the end of January or later, as the "official" handouts were always almost exactly on the 1st of March.

"Shimmering" would be okay for me as long as there's no particles in it...................................

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

23 hours ago, jdemoso said:

I’m bought the 2020 Ink of the Year Moonstone, and I wanted to enjoy it, but I found it too dry. Is that common for the edelstein line? I’ve been looking for a good yellow...

I think Pelikan inks are generally regarded as dry, but I’m not clear if there’s a dryness difference between regular Pelikan and Edelstein :)

14 hours ago, Dione said:

Link on the Pelikan forum. Golden Beryl is a shimmer ink with golden particles. There is even a warning about the particles.

Oh well. I'm quite fond of this part of the ink spectrum, but gave up on glitter in 1972.

Add lightness and simplicate.

What?? You gave up on glitter?????

I thought I was the only one here unthankful/ungrateful for that jazz....................

21 hours ago, aimi said:

I think Pelikan inks are generally regarded as dry, but I’m not clear if there’s a dryness difference between regular Pelikan and Edelstein :)

As a general rule, comparing similar colors-i.e Royal Blue and Sapphire-I find Edelstein inks a bit wetter than 4001 inks. I base this in particular on using these inks in the same pen.

Along that same general medium-standard blue, I find Edelstein Sapphire similar to, but perhaps a bit dryer than, Montblanc Royal Blue, which is dryer still than Waterman Serenity Blue.

FWIW, when I'm comparing inks, 4001 Royal Blue is my benchmark "dry ink" and Serenity Blue is what I'd consider middle-of-the-road(less so than say most Noodlers inks).

On 1/9/2021 at 6:11 AM, aimi said:

There is a difference. At least as early as the Edelstein line came out in 2012, P said that the Es are "softer, gentler". By that, they meant two things:

1. They are wetter, and glide better on writing, and
  2. They are better lubed, as to ease and taking care of piston movement in the barrel.

I have found that out myself. There are however, yes, a few subtle differences in the actual degrees of that among the individual Es.

On 10/01/2021 at 08:15, lapis said:

Há uma diferença. Pelo menos assim que a linha Edelstein foi lançada em 2012, P disse que os Es são " mais suaves, mais suaves ". Com isso, eles queriam dizer duas coisas:

1. Eles são mais úmidos e deslizam melhor na escrita e
  2. São melhor lubrificados, para facilitar e cuidar da movimentação do pistão no cano.

Eu descobri isso sozinho. Existem, no entanto, algumas diferenças sutis nos graus reais disso entre os Es individuais.

Pelikan announces that one of the differentials of its inks is a component that guarantees better lubrication for writing. personally I consider the brand inks wet. Anyone else afraid to load their pens with sparkling ink and have their feeders clogged ???

Actually, I'm not at all afraid to load my cheapest pens (as re dough and quality) -- namely my Pelikanos -- and have their feeders clogged... it's just that I don't like sparkling ink in the first place. That's why I never shake my 1670s. Too bad I don't work anymore in the institute which always had big ultracentrifuges!

I was going to ask if there might be some advantage in using a Japanese-style eye-dropper for shimmers? The valve would keep the ink from drying out in the reservoir and you could rinse the nib/feed under the tap if needed?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

From a Facebook post by Pelikan Passion

116156781_ScreenShot2021-01-21at11_19_56AM.png.5bac9e5c7bb4d070e7ed63b94cbdcddb.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hmmmm.

The splotches with the darker haloing and the shimmer really obvious look nice.  But the written exemplar?  That's awfully light to be really legible....  :(

Other than if there are actually Pelikan Hubs this year (with swag) I'll likely pass on this. 

Remains to be seen about the Edelstein Moonstone ink -- my order from Anderson Pens (including a sample of Moonstone) just arrived in the past ten minutes.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks a lot. This one's for me. As for saturation i've learned the hard way that it depends so much on the nib's ink generosity that it is not pertinent to qualify an ink evanescent or vivid ad abstractum.