How do MB's large stubby nibs compare to others?

arcfide

17 hours ago, maclink said:

I've been thinking of trying a MB with a B nib but have been a bit reluctant.  If I knew the grind would be on the stubby side, then I'd definitely go for it.  I have a particular dislike for broad and bigger nib grinds without line variation inherent in the grind.

I recently acquired a 145 (BB), and it's absolutely like a stub nib. I don't have a lot of experience with Broad nibs of any brand, but I recall having some Parker 45 and 17 broads that were basically just regular nibs that firehosed ink. Outrageous and unusable for me. 

This 145 is not like that. The edges are definitely more "squared" off, and it writes lines like the various stubs I have ever owned. 

DtsVY5a.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcfide

• Uncial

• maclink

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, arcfide said:

I believe Montblanc's website contradicts this claim. The current website's documentation about nib sizes as this to say:

The particularly highlight the rounded tips of EF, F, and M, versus the flat tips of B and BB. While a flat tip might not be *very* flat, to the point of a sharp stub, I believe a flat tipped nib would generally be a sufficient categorization of "stubby" nibs. 

I for one don't personally subscribe to the current trend of trying to differentiate too much the terms Italic and Stub. If they are square or flat cut, they are stubbish, and then from there it is only a matter of how sharply cut they are, to me. I would fully expect the MB nibs to have more rounding and therefore less sharp and distinct line variation, but there does seem to be a tendency towards stubbishness in their B and BB's from everything I read. 

At any rate, thank you for sharing your experiences everyone! I am still not sure what I want to do in this regard, but at least I have a better idea. 

Not sure whether this helps but the underside engraving states what profiles apply to what nibs,

mb1.JPG

mb2.JPG

mb3.JPG

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

4 hours ago, Pen Nut said:

Not sure whether this helps but the underside engraving states what profiles apply to what nibs,

mb1.JPG

mb2.JPG

mb3.JPG

Groovy! Thanks and interesting.

What I have is a mixture. A few WE's, 149's, four 146's and one hooded nib thingy that I can't quite recall what it is and one 145 with either B or BB nibs. The 145 was the only one that was a little different having a certain sharpness to the edges that I had 'fixed'. Once 'fixed' it wote like allthe others.

It might be worth hunting out a good and reliable seller for an old celluloid 146. They can still be had at decent prices so long as you aren't too fussy and the B/BB and oblique nibs on those were usually cut quite sharp and very much like a stub, almost veering towards an italic sharpness.

5 hours ago, maclink said:

Oh, well then..... 😈

149 B vs 146 B?  What is your experience?  

They’re all different.  I just go with the form factor that best suits the environment.

I’ve had over a half dozen different broad nibs from Montblanc which include B, BB, OB, and a couple of O3B pens. There is a lot of variation in stubbiness even between nibs of the same size. My gold trim 149 O3B wrote so nicely out of the box with a juicy stub and great line variation. My platinum trim 149 O3B wrote almost like a marker out of the box with only the smallest amount of line variation. It’s all luck of the draw but you can always try to take advantage of the nib exchange program. 

2 hours ago, DreamInk said:

I’ve had over a half dozen different broad nibs from Montblanc which include B, BB, OB, and a couple of O3B pens. There is a lot of variation in stubbiness even between nibs of the same size. My gold trim 149 O3B wrote so nicely out of the box with a juicy stub and great line variation. My platinum trim 149 O3B wrote almost like a marker out of the box with only the smallest amount of line variation. It’s all luck of the draw but you can always try to take advantage of the nib exchange program. 

Were the manufacturing times similar?  Is there less attention to line variation in nib performance with the newer nibs?

On 1/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, Pen Nut said:

mb1.JPG

mb2.JPG

mb3.JPG

Very interesting designs; thanks for sharing this!!!! I'm curious how far back in their manufacturing that this applies?

-Lee

Edited by HogwldFLTR

2 hours ago, HogwldFLTR said:

Very interesting designs; thanks for sharing this!!!! I'm curious how far back in their manufacturing that this applies?

-Lee

Pretty much all the way.  Vintage (up to 1965) Pelikans were cut in the same way.  

10 minutes ago, gyasko said:

Pretty much all the way.  Vintage (up to 1965) Pelikans were cut in the same way.  

Thanks!

Hey, gang, my BB 145, running Iroshizuku Momiji, has irregular stopping issues. Is it possible it's just struggling to keep up with the ink flow? It'll usually be fine after a few seconds  and a little scribbling. (interestingly, when I first start writing, the ink will come out really dark red, but after a few lines it shifts to way more pink.)

Or could it be a nib in need of a tune? 

This is my first experience with Double Broad MB nibs. But it's not my first experience with a modern 145 that needed nib tuning. 

@NumberSix It does indeed sound like a flow issue.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Gosh, Pen Nut! How big are those things!?

And, more importantly, from which period? I think the grinds may have changed slightly over time?

My latest BB is from the early 2000's and it's significantly different from a 1960's BB I have.

(I'll try and back this up with photographs, once I get the pens in the same place. Don't hold your breath)

I assume these were shop display pieces, Pen Nut?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

NumberSix: Yes, I agree with niksch, sounds like a flow issue - especially with the ink changing shades.

A BB nib requires a good flow. Fortunately, a 145 is easy enough to pop in for an overnight soak.  And it could take many soaks to clear old dried ink residue! Patience is your friend, on this one.

Good luck.

19 hours ago, CS388 said:

Gosh, Pen Nut! How big are those things!?

And, more importantly, from which period? I think the grinds may have changed slightly over time?

My latest BB is from the early 2000's and it's significantly different from a 1960's BB I have.

(I'll try and back this up with photographs, once I get the pens in the same place. Don't hold your breath)

I assume these were shop display pieces, Pen Nut?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Hello CS388,

The profile demo nibs are in the tester set to the right of the tray containing the pens. Spent quite a few 'lock down' hours tinkering aka messing about with this set :-) 

1 (4).JPG

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

3 hours ago, Pen Nut said:

Hello CS388,

The profile demo nibs are in the tester set to the right of the tray containing the pens. Spent quite a few 'lock down' hours tinkering aka messing about with this set 🙂

1 (4).JPG

Oh man what a set! 

7 hours ago, Pen Nut said:

Hello CS388,

The profile demo nibs are in the tester set to the right of the tray containing the pens. Spent quite a few 'lock down' hours tinkering aka messing about with this set 🙂

1 (4).JPG

Ah,  my tester set is from the '90s.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.