"User" Hemingway

bunnspecial

I am kind of itching to make the jump into at least one MB LE. There's a current one that, for a few reasons, has risen to the top but I keep hesitating to pull money out for it for reasons I can't explain.

I know that the legendary WE/LE pen is the Hemingway, and from everything I've read about it, for good reason. I'd buy a 139 but that's even more outside my budget.

Of course, though, there are very few available on the market, and nearly every one I see is NIB/unusused. A typical price for these seems to be $2K(on the very low end) to $4K. That's well outside my budget.

I seem to recall seeing one that had been used and would continue to be a good user in the classifieds here a few years back for $800 or $900 IIRC. Assuming I could even find one in that condition, does that sound like it's still a realistic price or is that low now?

I know I may be shooting way too high on this one, but thought I'd at least look into it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• Beechwood

• meiers

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the look and appearance of this pen a lot but I like the 149 a lot more. A Hemingway going for $800 would probably need major service. And finding replacement parts for it would  be very expensive. 

Unless your money is burning a hole in your pockets, wait. Too low a price probably means too many problems.

Keep checking aroundBuy from trusted people, preferably with a warranty of satisfaction. This isn't a TWSBI where you're out 50 dollars if it's a dud.

Pay more than you want for a quality pen the first time. Or pay a lot less and then continue to pay more. 

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

Thanks guys for the reality "check."

I have a 149, but I actually find that a 146 fits me better...much better. I don't have an OB nib, but have an OBB and I get along well with it. The 136 sounds like a promising option, and I've bought from that seller before.

I've never seen a Hemingway (FP) in the UK market going for less than £1k. More commonly  £2k - £2.5k.

And then there are the dreamers sellers who are asking £4k+ (although these pens stay for sale for a lo-ong time! Even a Hemingway can be overpriced!)

And I guess the prices will keep on rising, because the supply of pens isn't going to increase.

I'd really like a Hemingway. but it's going to be a long time until I can afford one - and who knows how much they'll be costing in 5 - 10 years' time?

Good luck.

I haven't looked for a Hemingway for about 5 years, at that time there was more than one NOS Hemingways for £2000. One dealer had a restored Hemingway for £400, this wasn't  restored to as new but was in good working condition.

Hemingways used to be my grail pens, am I right in thinking that Francis made a Hemingway recreation at one time, perhaps not.

I can think of one instance in the last day 3 or 4 years where I have seen a legit Hemmingway FP under $1K. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 instances where I have seen them sell in the $1300 range. All 5 of these had issues from a collectability standpoint and were pretty much just the pen.

Now, it is possible for the miracle find where you get one at a garage sale or left in a desk drawer or some unrepeatable bit of luck. But for the standard selling avenues you are probably looking at closer to $1500 for a user pen and well over $2K for a clean pen with boxes and papers.

The Dumas offers the same form factor and it much less expensive, especially used. Certainly findable under $1K and maybe as low as $600 to $700 with some use and patience. And the nib is a much nicer design to me than the standard 149. That is where I started.

There is also the Year of the Golden Dragon oen that is the same form factor, but the pen is quite expensive, more than the Hemi.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I purchased a used Hemingway, no box or papers, in excellent condition, from an on-line vendor in December 2019 for $1,700.00. I have seen one or two for sale at pen shows, used, for under $2K, but the prevailing price, even for used pens, is probably about $2.5K in such venues. 

The first three - at least, I think they were the first three - are slowly but surely acquiring cult status. Perhaps the Hemingway is already there. In terms of price though it would seem the Hemingway, Agatha and Wilde will all soon be on the same high price plateau. 

I think Zaddick has given you the best advice; get the Dumas with the wrong signature for a fraction of the cost. I found it to be the prettier pen and its basically a Hemingway in a different outfit.

I bought mine new when it was first issued for ~$400. I used it regularly for many, many years and it's served me very well. I really like it a lot. On the other hand, there is no way I'd pay current asking prices, even for a "user grade" specimen (even if I had "money to burn"...which I don't).

As zaddick mentioned the Dumas is an alternative. I have both a Hemingway and a Dumas and in some ways for taking out prefer the Dumas.

I also got the Hemingway when first issues for $450 in 1992. That was almost half of my monthly stipend as a graduate student back then, but don’t regret spending it on that pen.  

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.

In my opinion Uncial and Zaddick are right. About 25 years ago I had 2 MB LeGrand BallPoint Pens and a MB RollerBall Pen.

I never owned a fountain pen. Then one day I saw the Dumas FP being sold in a set...That is all she wrote. The Dumas was my gateway pen into the FP world...it has been 149's ever since. I had no idea that it was going to be a collectible. I was purchasing pens based on price and if I liked the way the looked. If you can get a Dumas with the son's signature get it.

Respectfully,

David

Thanks everyone for the input.

First of all, I got "clearance" for the WD edition from my Disney-loving wife(esp. after she saw it in person), and I ordered it a bit earlier. That blows my pen budge probably for this month if not longer.

With that said, I spent some time looking at the Dumas. I don't like the looks QUITE as much as the Hemingway, but users are significantly more affordable and it's essentially the same body(without the ink window) as the Hemingway, correct? A quick search turned up a couple of really nice son's signature ones at a bit over $1K, which I think I can swing at some point in the near future. Does that sort of price sound reasonable from what you all know?

Does the Dumas have the old style mountain/Mont Blanc in blocks on the side of the cap like the Hemingway and of course older pens? Right now the only thing I have with that is a 3-42G with a semiflex F-B that I like but is a bit small for my taste.

Even though I won't buy a pen I won't at least ink and use occasionally, I do like the idea on something like this getting a nice one that will also hold its value better than a rough one.

Bunnspecial — congratulations on the WD pen purchase! Sounds like it results in a happy household. I have certainly thought about buying a Dumas — correct signature — I like it a lot. But, for me, the orange barrel, plus my love for Hemingway’s writings, makes all the difference! 

I should have added if you don't like the look of the pen I wouldn't buy it. I only buy what I will use.

1 hour ago, NeverTapOut said:

I should have added if you don't like the look of the pen I wouldn't buy it. I only buy what I will use.

I would really like to see a Dumas in person. From the looks of it, I could go either way. I like the appearance of the Hemingway better, but do I like it say $3000 better?

One thing with MBs in general is if I can buy right(not necessarily bargain hunt, but buy a good one for a fair price) and decide I can't stand it, I may lose a little or make a little reselling it but I won't likely take a big hit on it.

For context, I bought what I would consider to be a user grade (excellent condition, but no box) Hemingway in November from a reputable source for ~$1500 + tax.  I thought that was a smoking deal.  I have seen them sell as high as $3500 in collector grade (Truphae just sold one ~$3300 I believe).

My understanding is that the Hemingway and Dumas are the only two WEs based on the 149 - though someone more knowledgeable might correct me here.

2 hours ago, dustb0wl said:

For context, I bought what I would consider to be a user grade (excellent condition, but no box) Hemingway in November from a reputable source for ~$1500 + tax.  I thought that was a smoking deal.  I have seen them sell as high as $3500 in collector grade (Truphae just sold one ~$3300 I believe).

My understanding is that the Hemingway and Dumas are the only two WEs based on the 149 - though someone more knowledgeable might correct me here.

They are based on the 139 flattop style, but use the #9 size nib. The Homer also uses a #9 nib, but is closer in size and shape to the 149.

In the year 2000 there as a Golden Dragon edition that looked like an all black Hemingway with a large gold dragon clip with a pearl in its mouth. The pen was also more expensive and not part of the Writer Edition series. But they can be modified to basically be a modern 139 if the clip is replaced and the nib swapped. 

20190429_154143_resized.jpg

20180530_160937_resized.jpg

IMG_20190430_000612_423.jpg

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!