"Generic" Bock#8 nibs

mke

7 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Welp, guess that is of no use then! Weird terminology, thank you for pointing that out HartGummi!

There is no #6 in the Kanpur writers price list. The nib sizes are 00, 4,5,5.5,MB,8,35. Pjs refer to source documents. If you email Kanpur writers They will respond with their list which you can study. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• mke

• HartGummi

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, hari317 said:

There is no #6 in the Kanpur writers price list. The nib sizes are 00, 4,5,5.5,MB,8,35. Pjs refer to source documents. If you email Kanpur writers They will respond with their list which you can study. 

I've already bought a few nibs from them directly, but I was only interested in their 35 mm Heritage nib units, and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the catalogue. I understand the sizing now anyways.

Just now, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

I've already bought a few nibs from them directly, but I was only interested in their 35 mm Heritage nib units, and didn't pay much attention to the rest of the catalogue. I understand the sizing now anyways.

Kanwrite's 35 mm nib is roughly as big as JoWo or Bock's #6 (not compatible though). 

3 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

So nothing “weird” in their terminology? Just lack of attention reading their catalog perhaps. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, hari317 said:

So nothing “weird” in their terminology? Just lack of attention reading their catalog perhaps. 

Yes, that was my mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

• 6 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, magna carta said:

I think  in 2021 i can make the no8 nib in house with ebonite feed and housing. 

He said so - and he did it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Caug7uxjzEa/

Check the comments.

Those of you going to Baltimore, please go and check them out.

• 2 months later...

The nibs are now available on Meister Nibs! They're available in fine, medium, broad, and only with black ebonite (for now?..) for the housing and feed, but they're finally here! Just bought one. Very excited to put this into my Ranga Splendour when it arrives.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:08 PM, magna carta said:

My friend many more nib sizes going to add in future. 

When will the #8 size be available locally, i.e in India? 

Please tell me whether the #8 Magna Carta nib housing is the same as the Bock #8 nib housing. Can the #8 Magna Carta nib screw into the section of a pen that takes the Bock #8 nib without modification?

Thank you.

David

1 hour ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

When will the #8 size be available locally, i.e in India? 

It is available directly from us only. If any of want they can contact to Mr.Hardik Kanakhara +91 9870303101

46 minutes ago, dms525 said:

Please tell me whether the #8 Magna Carta nib housing is the same as the Bock #8 nib housing. Can the #8 Magna Carta nib screw into the section of a pen that takes the Bock #8 nib without modification?

Thank you.

David

The Magna Carta housing is bock compatible. 

1 hour ago, magna carta said:

The Magna Carta housing is bock compatible. 

Wonderful! Thank you for that. I'm looking forward to you releasing this nib with a stub or cursive italic tip.

David

Serendipity.

This afternoon (UK) I went looking for #6 Ebonite feeds, which led me, circuitously, to  Magna Carter, where I found that the nibs are available at Meister Nibs.  Not much info to be found there so I made an inquiry via the contact form.  Turns out Meister Nibs is Brian Gray, who responded:

Yes, they should fit a pen that has been engineered for a Bock 380, but a few items…
I can’t promise this 100%, as it will certainly depend upon the tolerances and specifications of the pen section.
These nibs are about 2mm longer than the Bock nib. So if this is being installed in a pen that has very little clearance in the cap, this nib could crash into the top of the cap when the cap is screwed down.

Sanding down the back end might work if needed?  Or wait until they become 2mm shorter.

The site is new and will soon be updated with more info.

Add lightness and simplicate.

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Serendipity.

This afternoon (UK) I went looking for #6 Ebonite feeds, which led me, circuitously, to  Magna Carter, where I found that the nibs are available at Meister Nibs.  Not much info to be found there so I made an inquiry via the contact form.  Turns out Meister Nibs is Brian Gray, who responded:

Yes, they should fit a pen that has been engineered for a Bock 380, but a few items…
I can’t promise this 100%, as it will certainly depend upon the tolerances and specifications of the pen section.
These nibs are about 2mm longer than the Bock nib. So if this is being installed in a pen that has very little clearance in the cap, this nib could crash into the top of the cap when the cap is screwed down.

Sanding down the back end might work if needed?  Or wait until they become 2mm shorter.

The site is new and will soon be updated with more info.

Aha! You know, Brian has announced a new pen model fitted with a #8 Magna Carta steel nib.

The point about cap clearance is a good one too. A few months ago I asked another pen maker if he could make a section to fit a #8 Bock nib. I wanted to install this on a custom-made pen of his already in my collection. He said he would have to make me a new cap as well, because of the greater nib length.

Fast forward ... I now have a couple pens made to take #8 nibs, so the Magna Carta nibs become more interesting. I'm wanting reviews of how they write.

David

7 hours ago, dms525 said:

I now have a couple pens made to take #8 nibs

At present I have just one that is made to accommodate a Bock#8.  It may not have a spare 2mm.  I find it odd that Magna Carta would design a nib to fit a Bock housing that is longer than a Bock nib.

7 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

At present I have just one that is made to accommodate a Bock#8.  It may not have a spare 2mm.  I find it odd that Magna Carta would design a nib to fit a Bock housing that is longer than a Bock nib.

This nib might just be a bigger version of their #6 nib, so it will not match Bock 380's length.

56 minutes ago, HartGummi said:

This nib might just be a bigger version of their #6 nib,

Kinda.  It's a Bock style #8 available with a Bock style #8 housing. Brian Grey has already made pens using this nib.  I trust what he says, as quoted above.