"Generic" Bock#8 nibs

mke

On 1/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, silverlifter said:

Well, Onoto have a #8 nib in their top end pens. I have no idea if it is the same dimensions as a Bock, perhaps @eciton could comment...

I can't speak to the Bock #8 nib, but the nib Onoto uses in the Magnas will not screw into pens that take stock Bock #6 nibs. The Onoto nibs have "7" engraved on them. They eyeball to be no larger than a Bock #6 nib. Their feed looks more like a standard JoWo feed than a standard Bock feed, however. The Onoto Magna carrier is more similar to the Bock carrier but not exactly the same. 

AFAIK, Conid uses stock Bock nibs, feeds and carriers.

David

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• mke

• HartGummi

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/11/2021 at 11:45 AM, mke said:

A $20-30 steel nib would be quite different.

Quite so. Exactly why I'll be putting a £120 Ti in a £70 Ranga. 😁

Add lightness and simplicate.

12 hours ago, dms525 said:

I can't speak to the Bock #8 nib, but the nib Onoto uses in the Magnas will not screw into pens that take stock Bock #6 nibs. The Onoto nibs have "7" engraved on them. They eyeball to be no larger than a Bock #6 nib. Their feed looks more like a standard JoWo feed than a standard Bock feed, however. The Onoto Magna carrier is more similar to the Bock carrier but not exactly the same. 

AFAIK, Conid uses stock Bock nibs, feeds and carriers.

David

Onoto no 7 housing is a schmidt FH452 with the metal collar.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

14 hours ago, sansenri said:

I recall that quite a few years ago Hari here organized a group buy of Ambitious 40 mm nibs (which I assume to be size 8).

At the time I seem to recall the problem was that unless we really bought quite a number Ambitious was not available to produce them... so I expect it's a batch size issue.

At the time I was not so experienced in swapping nibs and missed the opportunity... which I regret...:)

Ambitious 40mm nib sits on a 6.35mm diameter feed even though its a large 40mm length nib.

The reason you have third party alternatives to JoWo Bock no 6 is the supply chain. Suppliers in ROC and PRC produce plastic feeds for the third party housings so everything need not be engineered. 

Bock and Jowo no 8 OTOH use proprietary ebonite feeders. There is no ecosystem for the third party 8mm replacement feeds. Someone will have to invest a lot to develop the aftermarket alternative, is it worth it? If the answer is yes, you will see the parts becoming available. 

BTW JoWo no longer offers the no 8 if my source is right.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

44 minutes ago, hari317 said:

Ambitious 40mm nib sits on a 6.35mm diameter feed even though its a large 40mm length nib.

Hmm. So this nib therefore fits in a #6 housing?

48 minutes ago, hari317 said:

The reason you have third party alternatives to JoWo Bock no 6 is the supply chain. Suppliers in ROC and PRC produce plastic feeds for the third party housings so everything need not be engineered. 

Bock and Jowo no 8 OTOH use proprietary ebonite feeders. There is no ecosystem for the third party 8mm replacement feeds. Someone will have to invest a lot to develop the aftermarket alternative, is it worth it? If the answer is yes, you will see the parts becoming available. 

I think  in 2021 i can make the no8 nib in house with ebonite feed and housing. 

36 minutes ago, magna carta said:

Bock and Jowo threading?

4 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Bock and Jowo threading?

i already have made #6 nib compatible feed and housing for bock and jowo. same way i will made the for #8 nib.

Just now, magna carta said:

i already have made #6 nib compatible feed and housing for bock and jowo. same way i will made the for #8 nib.

Lovely! Where might one obtain these beauties?

53 minutes ago, magna carta said:

Ok. 

11 hours ago, hari317 said:

Thanks for clarifying Hari,

That also answers the question, no steel size 8 nibs around...yet (counting on magna carta!)

Do you recall whether Ranga was offering the Bock Titanium nibs size 8 and at what cost?

I recall I got a size 6 Bock titanium for about $50 from them in a group buy, which sounded very reasonable.

> I think  in 2021 i can make the no8 nib in house with ebonite feed and housing. 

Good luck. I am sure the first one providing #8 steel nibs for Jowo or Bock threads will find many people interested.

2 hours ago, mke said:

> I think  in 2021 i can make the no8 nib in house with ebonite feed and housing. 

Good luck. I am sure the first one providing #8 steel nibs for Jowo or Bock threads will find many people interested.

With support of pens lovers i will do very soon.

1 hour ago, Scriptorium Pens said:

I get customers who ask for steel #8 nibs every now and then. I'll keep an eye on the Magna Carta site.

I will update you once it is ready.

• 4 weeks later...

I was recently visiting my cousins in kanpur where Kanwrite has its workshop.I did end up going to their workshop to pick up some pens and nibs for myself. I also had some bries talk with the owners too. About that big nib....they actually are working on a big nib,but it's a #10\#9 nib,in the owners own words. Infact they have been working on this big nib for almost a year now,they have ideas and plans for a new pen body for that nib too.

Ambitious #8 nib is 40mm in length,#6 nibs are 35mm in length....kanwrite's big nib is 45mm in length and unlike the Ambitious #8 nib which sits on a 6mm ebonite feed,this one sits on a way bigger ebonite feed.I did see the nib and the pen model,obviously they were like very early\proto models,but the nib,the pen and the ebonite feed were all really big and huge....like so huge that they kinda confused me.

But as I stated earlier,they have been testing this for a year now and I am guessing that they are not satisfied with it as of now. They do want to release it into the market but only after they are satisfied with it and after it meets their quality standards. I guess we can only keep our fingers crossed at this point.

About the Magna Carta #6 Jowo all ebonite nib units....I recently ordered one of them in a medium point. And it works really great too,ink flow is very wet and juicy. Nib is very smooth,to my hands it almost felt on the verge of being glassy smooth. And I especially like the nib design....it's just plain Chrome and nothing on it....no stamping or etching or engraving etc. That plain look of the nib is really good,I really hope that it remains that way in the future too. I put it in my Ranga model 8B(red ebonite) which I use as an eyedropper now....so my dream of having an all ebonite pen came true😅.

> but it's a #10\#9 nib

That is nice but requires another pen. I really would like to have replacement #8 nibs for my Bock #8 pens.