"Generic" Bock#8 nibs

mke

There are many replacement nibs for Jowo #5 and 6.

How is the situation for Bock #8?

Is there any maker who provides their own nibs in Bock#8 housings?

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• mke

• HartGummi

• Sharad Pratap

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Conid did.

Thank you for bring this up. I'll be purchasing a Bock #8 in the near future.

Add lightness and simplicate.

9 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Conid did.

Are you sure about this? I thought they used Bock nibs (and just laser engraved their logo on them). Certainly, for the first couple of years, Conids shipped with stock Bock nibs.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

28 minutes ago, silverlifter said:

Are you sure about this? I thought they used Bock nibs (and just laser engraved their logo on them). Certainly, for the first couple of years, Conids shipped with stock Bock nibs.

My bad!

On 1/6/2021 at 3:13 PM, mke said:

There are many replacement nibs for Jowo #5 and 6.

How is the situation for Bock #8?

Is there any maker who provides their own nibs in Bock#8 housings?

Thanks

Flexible nib factory makes bock 8 (Bock 380) compatible housings for non bock nibs. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

> Flexible nib factory makes bock 8 (Bock 380) compatible housings for non bock nibs. 

I didn't find this but the other way round: "The B8EX-H housing allows use of Bock 380 fountain pen nibs in pens that use a non-converter Bock #8 housing such as the Conid Kingsize or custom made pens using the same housing."

8 minutes ago, mke said:

> Flexible nib factory makes bock 8 (Bock 380) compatible housings for non bock nibs. 

I didn't find this but the other way round: "The B8EX-H housing allows use of Bock 380 fountain pen nibs in pens that use a non-converter Bock #8 housing such as the Conid Kingsize or custom made pens using the same housing."

https://flexiblenib.com/store/product/b8kope-housing-for-sailor-king-of-pen-nib-and-feed-in-bock-8/

https://flexiblenib.com/store/product/bm149e-housing-for-montblanc-149/

Housing compatible with bock 380 for holding Non Bock nibs 

hope it helps.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

17 hours ago, silverlifter said:

Well, Onoto have a #8 nib in their top end pens. I have no idea if it is the same dimensions as a Bock, perhaps @eciton could comment...

The unit and ebonite feed are Bock 380. The nib itself is therefore presumably made by Bock and it feels like a Bock 380 gold, but naturally it has a fully custom imprint and plating to Onoto's spec.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

This could be a business chance for Kanwrite, e.g.

If you have contact, tell them about it. Request a steel #8 with Jowo and/or Bock housing.

Bock stamps the logo of some 25 or so pen companies.....made to their specs......just like from 1998-2010? They made for Pelikan...........it was Pelikan's specs, in when they took them back In-House the exact same complaints have continued for the last decade.

So there was no real reason for Conid to laser them, but if they did, they did. Or they didn't order enough of them ....more than likely, that Bock would make them their own logo stamping tool.

Bock makes a good nib, I have semi-flex from that era, regular flex also from back in the days.

In my signature is a link to Bock and infos.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I am wondering why no company shows any interest in making Bock/Jowo #8 replacement nibs?

I heard from penturners that lots of people want #8 nibs but do not want to spend $250 for a gold nib.

If companies can earn money from making #6 Bock/Jowo replacement nibs, they would also earn money from #8 replacement nibs. In addition, personally, I like Jowo steel nibs more than Jowo gold nibs.

1 hour ago, mke said:

I am wondering why no company shows any interest in making Bock/Jowo #8 replacement nibs?

What companies would those be?

I'm afraid pens with a #8 nib out there are possibly too few to venture in providing steel alternatives (nibs need to be produced in large quantities).

The pen with a #8 nib that sells the most is probably the Pelikan M1000.

Then there is a list here

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/269170-which-pens-have-a-big-8-nib/

(although some of the pens mentioned in the thread do not mount a #8, such as the Jinhao 159, and the Delta 365).

If I recall correctly Ambitious makes a #8 steel nib (40mm length).

@Karmachanic

you mentioned in the linked thread

"Matte black, Ebonite, Ranga Majestic, threaded for Bock #8, no cap ring, on order. I'll get the nib from Beaufort. "

can you show us the "beast"? I assume the nib you got from Beaufort is a Bock

thanks

(btw, further discussion on #8 nibs - in an Indian pen -  here
https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/347501-bock-8-nibs-in-an-indian-pen/)

@sansenri

I heard from penturners that people would want to have big nibs without the $250 price tag. Even the Titanium Bock adds at least $120. If you buy a $200 pen, these Bock nibs add a hefty money. A $20-30 steel nib would be quite different.

AFAIK, Ambitious makes a #9 nib but doesn't sell it to everyone - reason unknown.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:16 PM, sansenri said:

@Karmachanic

you mentioned in the linked thread

"Matte black, Ebonite, Ranga Majestic, threaded for Bock #8, no cap ring, on order. I'll get the nib from Beaufort. "

can you show us the "beast"? I assume the nib you got from Beaufort is a Bock

thanks

Will do once it arrives. Ordered it last week, so it'll be a while. Yes the Bock TI nib will come from Beaufort. I'll  mangle grind it to a CI myself.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:45 PM, mke said:

@sansenri

I heard from penturners that people would want to have big nibs without the $250 price tag. Even the Titanium Bock adds at least $120. If you buy a $200 pen, these Bock nibs add a hefty money. A $20-30 steel nib would be quite different.

AFAIK, Ambitious makes a #9 nib but doesn't sell it to everyone - reason unknown.

I recall that quite a few years ago Hari here organized a group buy of Ambitious 40 mm nibs (which I assume to be size 8).

At the time I seem to recall the problem was that unless we really bought quite a number Ambitious was not available to produce them... so I expect it's a batch size issue.

At the time I was not so experienced in swapping nibs and missed the opportunity... which I regret...:)

On 1/11/2021 at 1:56 PM, Karmachanic said:

Will do once it arrives. Ordered it last week, so it'll be a while. Yes the Bock TI nib will come from Beaufort. I'll  mangle grind it to a CI myself.

will be nice to see, including your grind!