Hello from the Netherlands!

Jennyy

So happy to finally be a member! My name is Jenny and I have been coming here for fountain pen reviews for the past few years. I'm always happy to see the respect and professionalism on this site which makes it an honor to become a part of this community! As a child I used fountain pens throughout elementary school and high school and have always preferred fountain pens over other writing tools, so it was not hard for me to pick up this hobby a few years ago. I'd love to build up a diverse collection and recently I started to play with tuning nibs, so I'm looking forward to learn a lot from everybody here!:) Wish you all a wonderful day/night wherever you are!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jennyy

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• Dutchpen

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jenny, Happy New Year to you, and welcome to FPN!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Jenny, Happy New Year to you, and welcome to FPN!

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Welcome Jenny :)

Happy new year and thank you for your kind wishes!

35 minutes ago, OCArt said:

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

Thank you! I hope to visit California and San Diego one day! For the sightseeing, but also the fountain pen shops haha. 

There are so many sections on the website that I don't know where to start, but I go through each one of them with excitement and anticipation.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hi jenny y, welcome. It's good to meet you. I'm a recent member too. And I love to visit the 'intro' forum and see the new people arriving. It feels great to chat freely about pens with others.

I have a vintage pen arriving soon in the post. A "Mentmore" with a 'snakeskin' pattern. I like lots of character so I'm hoping for a broader Swan nib or even a stub.

What expressions do you like most from your tuned nibs?

Thanks for your kind greeting. It's been a sunny summer day here in Nelson, NZ

Hope to chat again sometime.

πTom

12 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

8 hours ago, northstar said:

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Thank you both!! So glad to be here!

8 hours ago, Gaudi95 said:

Hi jenny y, welcome. It's good to meet you. I'm a recent member too. And I love to visit the 'intro' forum and see the new people arriving. It feels great to chat freely about pens with others.

I have a vintage pen arriving soon in the post. A "Mentmore" with a 'snakeskin' pattern. I like lots of character so I'm hoping for a broader Swan nib or even a stub.

What expressions do you like most from your tuned nibs?

Thanks for your kind greeting. It's been a sunny summer day here in Nelson, NZ

Hope to chat again sometime.

Thank you! Nice to meet you too! I agree! It's one of the reasons I signed up.

It must be very exciting to receive a vintage pen. Is it your first? I am hoping to find a nice vintage flex (in good condition) one day. Most of our secondhand shops don't carry any fountain pens, unfortunately. However, I hope that your nib fulfills your expectations :)

I'm not sure what you mean by expression, but if I am interpreting it correctly, I like a nib that writes buttery and the feedback between pencil-like and glassy. 

Thank you for your kind reply! The weather sounds lovely on your side of the hemisphere!

Hi jennyy, Thank you. I really like your terms, 'buttery, pencil-like and glassy' and they describe my meaning of expression. Highly subjective yet most writers will recognize these sensations. Some pens allow me to express marks and movements that others can't and I look for signs that I can create something new.

I have some vintage pens and love the older nibs for this reason. As an artist I am more comfortable holding a drawing pencil.

My favourite fountain pen took me by surprise. It is not a vintage pen but remains in first position in my collection. I can't improve it. It has pencil-like qualities both in nib feedback but also in appearance.

Cheers, Gary

πTom

11 hours ago, Gaudi95 said:

Hi jennyy, Thank you. I really like your terms, 'buttery, pencil-like and glassy' and they describe my meaning of expression. Highly subjective yet most writers will recognize these sensations. Some pens allow me to express marks and movements that others can't and I look for signs that I can create something new.

I have some vintage pens and love the older nibs for this reason. As an artist I am more comfortable holding a drawing pencil.

My favourite fountain pen took me by surprise. It is not a vintage pen but remains in first position in my collection. I can't improve it. It has pencil-like qualities both in nib feedback but also in appearance.

Cheers, Gary

Wow, that's really interesting. That's the main reason that I'd like to try and buy a wide and diverse range of pens during my lifetime. Every time I get a new pen, the first time I put it on paper is the most exciting, because you really have to use your own senses to get a feel for it. After that, the exciting part comes from experimenting with different inks and to see what works the best. 

I also love drawing with mechanical pencils, so I am really curious what is your favourite fountain pen right now!:)

10 hours ago, Jennyy said:

Wow, that's really interesting. That's the main reason that I'd like to try and buy a wide and diverse range of pens during my lifetime. Every time I get a new pen, the first time I put it on paper is the most exciting, because you really have to use your own senses to get a feel for it. After that, the exciting part comes from experimenting with different inks and to see what works the best. 

I also love drawing with mechanical pencils, so I am really curious what is your favourite fountain pen right now!:)

Hey Jennyy, becoming a member of FPN gives me the feeling of arriving at the party when everyone has been dancing all night and are all happy and drunk!🤪

I'm so new to posting anywhere and not sure how my personality is revealing.

My favourite fountain pen is....'Ystudio Brassing'. It has an industrial feel like many of the engineering tools I have used.

It is a nice weight, it's short and pencil-like to hold. It can age and colour from skin contact, oil and moisture. (patina)

Also a beautiful box with a little 'Maple wood' tube and leather band. I just wake up in the morning wanting to pick it up and write! I am using a Japanese ink I enjoy very much. It is a leafy, seaweed colour called Sailor, 'RikyuCha'

Do you have some interesting 'Akkermans ink'?

Brassing.png.dc8d85eea56cc5175153ecbcb292ddc5.pngDSC00023.JPG.719aab83cecc274dfe6b5f0362c34ba6.JPG

πTom

19 hours ago, Gaudi95 said:

Hey Jennyy, becoming a member of FPN gives me the feeling of arriving at the party when everyone has been dancing all night and are all happy and drunk!🤪

I'm so new to posting anywhere and not sure how my personality is revealing.

My favourite fountain pen is....'Ystudio Brassing'. It has an industrial feel like many of the engineering tools I have used.

It is a nice weight, it's short and pencil-like to hold. It can age and colour from skin contact, oil and moisture. (patina)

Also a beautiful box with a little 'Maple wood' tube and leather band. I just wake up in the morning wanting to pick it up and write! I am using a Japanese ink I enjoy very much. It is a leafy, seaweed colour called Sailor, 'RikyuCha'

Do you have some interesting 'Akkermans ink'?

Brassing.png.dc8d85eea56cc5175153ecbcb292ddc5.pngDSC00023.JPG.719aab83cecc274dfe6b5f0362c34ba6.JPG

A very happy and cozy party indeed! I wonder the same haha, usually I'm more of a lurker as well. But it is very nice talking and exchanging ideas about fountain pens with you!

Ohh, that's really interesting. I have been eyeing the bordeaux red ystudio for a while, but decided to try it out when the time is right, because I have to stop impulse buying for a while. 

Rikyu-Cha is a very beautiful color, I've seen many people writing with it and it never fails to impress me. On another note, your handwriting is amazing, and thank you for the beautiful pictures!

Funnily, I've never tried Akkerman's ink, even though the bottles look amazing. I will probably hop by the physical store when the lockdown is over. 

We joke about pens needing a warning label on them, 'highly addictive'! And, since most of us have limited finances, focus and restraint are helpful practices. Another Senior member and Moderator, Rakman? has posted about separate, 'Pen savings account' so the family can still buy food!😄

Thank you for your comment about my hand-writing. Clearly it's legible but amazing I'm not so sure. You are very kind to say so.

Actually you have a warm and friendly way of writing that I am enjoying very much. It has a 'PenFriend' feel about it if you don't mind me saying. 

I haven't seen a Burgundy ystudio here in NZ yet. I watched a youtube review of 'Resin'? but wondered if I would feel the same attraction without the weight of the metal body. To be honest I now believe the store that sold it to me thought of it as an experiment and will stock more models if it proves popular. It's a very small pen market here.

I like Robert Oster, "Motor Oil" ink as well. Similar looking but didn't flow so well in my pen.

Hope to chat again later

πTom