Omas Tassili NOS - a good start for 2021

TheDutchGuy

On Saturday, Appelboom launched sales of pre-owned pens. All proceeds of the current batch of pens go to charity. They’re going fast, so if you’re interested then you’d better be quick. I feel fortunate to have obtained this early-90s Omas Tassili. Never been inked, fully original. My first Omas and yes, I was a bit anxious if the pen would live up to the brand’s near mythical reputation.I fell for this pen like a ton of bricks. The design and the story behind it really speak to me. It’s early days yet, but the 18k F nib might just be the nicest nib I own. On paper, it’s not an F. It’s not even a Western EF. It’s very nearly a Japanese F and I love it. Crisp, smooth, tactile and luxurious are words I’d choose. I expect the line width to increase somewhat once the nib settles in, but oh my, what a nib.

785BCCEB-CF2D-45B6-BF20-4152BCFF59AB.thumb.jpeg.f50ff1d04f7066a5e26aa8b01e8f82ae.jpeg

F521F392-EA82-41E1-B14E-1C257919C129.thumb.jpeg.e848190c283bf3b9f98cee47022bec9c.jpeg

ECD56202-15F4-4A53-A681-F556A7808FEB.thumb.jpeg.82141993608d9d8d246b646795df4d83.jpeg

CE63F8F6-E96A-4E3B-9816-58CA4DCFBA3D.thumb.jpeg.813d50856ee2ef60d07ea510e97c3004.jpeg

37D0E253-8D14-4C78-BCA3-8EC7284E99BF.thumb.jpeg.5c63c5f26b905900791c6ff714831e56.jpeg

Now please excuse me while I do some writing 🙂

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheDutchGuy

• como

• fpupulin

• ljmudit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@TheDutchGuyCongratulations! That’s a very cool pen, unique and unusual of Omas design. I read that the cap is a roll of bronze on resin, nice! The extra detail of the nib treated to a brushed effect to match the cap texture adds to the charm. Enjoy it in good health and good times!

Thank you both for your kind words! The pen is a wonderful writer. The cap is heavy, but the pen itself weighs nothing. The shape of the pen is actually extremely comfortable to hold and the writing experience is pleasant and tidy.Hard to put into words, but think of a big, fat, buttery smooth, bouncy M nib that puts down a line almost as narrow as a true Japanese F. Omas really got this right.

@TheDutchGuyThat’s the reason why I also like “Doué Solitaire” kind of model: you have a light weight pen to write with, yet the whole pen still has a kind of heft to it and a bit “fancy” due to the cap being in metal. What you described about this nib is what I love about a good modern Omas nib - butter smooth and bouncy. They are not always like that, but when you get one like that, it’s so nice! Is the bronze kind of “laminated” on this pen? I have never seen this model patinated. Just curious.

8 hours ago, como said:

Is the bronze kind of “laminated” on this pen? I have never seen this model patinated. Just curious.

I’m afraid I cannot say for sure how Omas made the cap, but after taking a good look at it I’d say that there is a resin inner cap that holds the threads and seals the nib. This inner cap is inserted into what appears to be a solid bronze outer cap. The outside surface of the bronze is irregular and undulates, i.e. it’s not a perfect cylinder. Into this surface, the cave paintings have been carefully reproduced in 3D. This recipe really adds to the beauty and the mystique of the pen. The cap appears to be topped by an inserted coin-like piece of bronze that hold the same figure as the pen’s box. Some people see a flint in it. Some, two monkeys. Some, a monkey and a humanoid. Some, a humanoid and an astronaut with a helmet. Etc. In fact, upon reading the accompanying booklet, and upon reading up on the Tassili caves in remote south-eastern Algeria, I’d say the figure is a combination of these various interpretations.

F2959C30-3EE2-4A86-9FE0-4F7777BD91D2.thumb.jpeg.d380a31b190dc429bc5f5beeaebcf242.jpeg

^-the image on the box, which is duplicated on the top end of the cap.

The packaging of the pen is first-rate as well and totally in-line with the vibe of the pen and the concept behind it.

8 hours ago, fpupulin said:

But... is the resin of the body black or dark brown?

Dark brown. As for the material, Omas has a fancy name for it, but I call it plastic. The shape of barrel and section is somewhat unusual, with two slight stepdowns (which never get in the way). Contrary to what I expected, the pen is very comfortable to use.

There was never any doubt whether I should ink it up or not. I’m the pen’s second owner. It has spent the last 28 years in its box. It has rested enough and wants to write. I will treat it with care, as I do with all my pens, but it’s a pen and should be enjoyed daily. I was a bit concerned if the piston would still seal after 28 years, but the water test went well so I inked it up. So far, no issues!

2 hours ago, RubenDh said:

From the pictures it seems that the pen has no clip, is this actually so?

That’s correct. The accompanying booklet states that Omas wanted nothing to block the view of the cap. The pen came with a pouch for carrying it around (see first photo).

Love this pen. The brushed nib. The archaic cap design.

It is a very underrated pen and seldomly seen only. Makes me want to ink mine 🙂

Enjoy in good health.

Cheers

Michael

I’m two weeks into this pen now, lots of writing done, so a good moment for first impressions. The nib is magnificent. This is my first Omas, so not sure how consistent their nibs are as a (former) brand, but they hit it out of the park with this one. The shape of the pen and its material didn’t knock me over when I first got it. There are two slight step-downs and my fingertips inform me that the stuff feels just like a Kaweco Classic Sport (not that there’s much wrong with a Classic Sport). So initially I was thinking: well, OK, so the money went into the cap and into the nib. After two weeks, I’m reconsidering that. For some reason, the pen is supremely comfortable. I have difficulties holding a pen and writing in a relaxed way, and for me this pen is a joy. Not sure if it’s a lucky coincidence or if they purposely designed it for such comfort, but it’s there.

My only niggle thus far is something that the pen can’t be blamed for. It spent decades in its box, unused, and needs a bit coaxing to get it to flow consistently.

Love this pen!

• 4 weeks later...

Six weeks in. Am enjoying the pen very much indeed. The cap threads are a bit tight; other than that this pen is just marvelous. Holds 2.2mL of ink, very comfortable to write with, fantastic nib and a line width I'd call Western XF, while still being forgiving and intuitive. While this pen might have been conceived as a commemorative showpiece for a specific occasion, it's one heck of a writing instrument.

• 1 year later...