Waltham pen/pencil combo lead refilling

cherrymerry

Hello. I'm looking for advice about refilling the lead of the Waltham pen/pencil combo.

The pencil part works properly (I guess): it pulls and pushes inserted lead. But I can't remove the residual lead. 

IMG_20210104_212924.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cherrymerry

• Pale.Ink.Tom

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello cherrymerry. I have a similar vintage, pen/pencil combo. 'Stratford'. I twist the lead out by holding the metal end-cone tightly and turning the barrel clockwise. To refill I wind it back and drop the lead inside. I twist one or two more times to adjust. My pencil has 1.2mm lead and must be short length. Maybe 30-40mm

If it has no lead inside you may see a metal tip instead. This is part of the 'propelling mechanism' and doesn't need to be removed.

Best wishes, Gary

πTom

I guess that in my case there is a part of a residual lead left inside some "gripping part" which, as I can see, is just a metal collar.

On the photos attached I show the pencil in maximum position.

IMG_20210108_185632.jpg

IMG_20210108_185744.jpg

I see it! Good photos! And my pencil looks the same.

I'm not afraid to try tricks with my own old pens but I can have stupid ideas! 😧

Could it be clogged up with the residue from old ink sac? If they rot with old ink inside?

I wonder what is inside the barrel.

Guitar string? (musical wire)

Dental pick?

Hair pin?

It is a shame for such a nice combo pen

Sorry I can not offer more help.

πTom

Yes, the sac was solid. But I think that ink evaporate first and then sac hardens. I tried to push and pull out the residual part with metal wire (of right diameter) with no success. May be the force was not enough? And this all leads to the question about pencil "normal" refilling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files