Stipula Etruria Magnifica Nib Question

nightwing

I purchased a Stipula Etruria Magnifica with a titanium nib in November but had to send it back due to a crack in the nib housing. I eventually received a replacement pen, but the nib seems to run dry after a few words but starts up again if I gently press the tip of the tines to the paper. I know it's not a baby bottom issue, since I checked for that. I'd like to take the nib unit apart to see if I can adjust the flow myself, but I have been unable to pull the nib and feed out. I'm reluctant to try other options (i.e. soaking the section in warm water or using rubber grips to pull out the nib and feed) until I have a back-up option. From what I have gathered online, the Etruria Magnifica uses the same nib unit as the standard Etruria model: Bock 250. 

Are there any sites that sell Bock units that I can easily purchase as a replacement, if I somehow crack the nib housing or feed on my pen? I looked at a few sites but all the pictures of the Bock units seem to differ from the one I have, so I'm not 100% certain they will fit (the threaded area on my nib unit is longer than on other Bock units). 

Are there any nibmeisters that you know of who are experienced in adjusting pens with titanium nibs? 

Any tips or insights would be appreciated! I'm holding out hope that I can get the pen to write to my liking. Thanks! 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nightwing

• RubenDh

• Aloha Pens

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

I have quite some experience with Stipula and their nibs. If you don't like their titanium nibs, I'd suggest purchasing a Stipula steel nib. They work great and can be bought from Stipula Spare Parts (giardino.it)

(if you end up buying another nib, it will come as a whole unit (nib, feed, and nib collar). To insert it in your pen, you'd need to twist out the same whole unit (including the nib collar) out of the section of your pen).

If you wish not to get another nib unit, and would want to tweak your own nib, they are friction fitted for sure. PLEASE don't pull to hard, but, I've gotten some of mine out only by using quite some force. Perhaps you can use piece of rubber to assist in the pulling.

Another possible fix would be to get it tweaked by an experienced nib meister!

Thanks! I appreciate your response :thumbup: It's good to know I can easily get a replacement nib unit as a last resort. I do like the titanium nib, but if I can't get it working right, I'll opt for a 1.1 nib. I saw your post on the steel vs. gold 1.1 nibs - it was informative!

Does that mean the nib units screw in/out on these pens?

I have an Etruria Magnifica with a somewhat disappointing V-flex steel nib and have been pondering replacing it with a non-flex steel nib.

Thanks

13 hours ago, Aloha Pens said:

Does that mean the nib units screw in/out on these pens?

Yes, that is correct! However, these nib units are screwed-in with a machine and thus could be screwed-in very very tightly. It's much easier to just pull out the nib+feed and leave the nib collar in place.

However, the nib collar is still removable, but just be careful, as I have dealt irreversible damage before while trying to unscrew the collar!

An additional picture of a demonstrator Stipula Etruria.

Nib + feed are friction fitted into the collar. The collar is then screwed into place in the pen.

Eq7inCM.jpg?1

my experience also, pulling Stipula nib and feed out of the housing while it's still in the pen (as though it was friction fit) is usually much easier that unscrewing the collar with nib and feed in it.

Usually just holding the nib and feed and pulling does it, you can wiggle the pen gently while you do this.

The Stipula feed has a flat shape at the bottom to help you put it back correctly.