EFNIR: Diamine Blue Lightning

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Blue Lightning

This is review #68 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Easy cleaning.  No left over glitter in the feed or the converter.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.DiamineBlueLightning.jpg.69a5750d9191f65b0bb50259445f77fe.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.DiamineBlueLightningS.jpg.c2008fcb0e73a21eb536c85f93359218.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.DiamineBlueLightningZ.jpg.125e2ddad8cab33c459561fbc5005f38.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.DiamineBlueLightningAP.jpg.d6731504055904e4f328068af6c542e8.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: De Atramentis Pearlescent Whisky Brown Copper.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• chromantic

• MsRedpen

• I-am-not-really-here

Nice!!

I never thought glitter would show in EF. You did it 😉

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thank you for the review.  

Oddly, while blue is my favorite color  the number of blue inks that pass muster are few.  This is not one of them.  

p.s. Looks like you could have used an erasable version. 🙃

26 minutes ago, MsRedpen said:

Nice!!

I never thought glitter would show in EF. You did it 😉

Thank you!  :) All the glitter inks I've used so far have shown glitter in the EF.  Some of them worked better than others.  This one worked best of all, by far. :)

Here's the glittery playlist.  One more ink (the one currently in my pen) remains to be added, then I'm done with all my glitter inks - thank the rational stars!

15 minutes ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Thank you for the review.  

Oddly, while blue is my favorite color  the number of blue inks that pass muster are few.  This is not one of them.  

p.s. Looks like you could have used an erasable version. 🙃

You're welcome!

I'm the same.  The broad color descriptors (red, blue, green, etc.) are very inclusive, and not all shades within each category appeal.

PS: I could almost always use an erasable version! :)

Great job Liz :) 

I like this one enough to not try it :)

I was having visions of Makhabesh and Quintus having a dialogue de sourds trying to understand each other with the former having the upper hand.... :D

I really like the colour, but my personal jury's still out on glittery inks. I may have to try it just to be sure.

Thanks as always :)

25 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job Liz :) 

I like this one enough to not try it :)

I was having visions of Makhabesh and Quintus having a dialogue de sourds trying to understand each other with the former having the upper hand.... :D

Thanks! :)

If you're gonna try a glittery ink, this seems like the one.

Hmm.  I'm afraid that didn't happen - or hasn't happened yet. :)  (I've now begun the tactic of switching the reader between different groups to keep artificial tension going.  And because I have no idea what should happen next.  Having to keep it to a few sentences is a pain!  I'm used to something more along the lines of 180,000 words - but I doubt anyone would watch an ink review that long!)

17 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

I really like the colour, but my personal jury's still out on glittery inks. I may have to try it just to be sure.

Thanks as always :)

Hmm.  Glittery ink for jury notes!  That would be fun - if they let you use your own pen.  I recommend a sample to start, if you're going to.

So far, I've used Robert Oster, De Atramentis, Herbin, and Diamine glittery inks, and the Diamine was the best, followed by Herbin.  I think the De Atramentis would have been good with a darker base color and with less glitter in my fill - De Atramentis inks usually have good flow and lubrication in my experience.  Robert Oster needs to find a lubricant to add to his glittery inks.

And, I just realized I lied - big time:

2 hours ago, LizEF said:

One more ink (the one currently in my pen) remains to be added, then I'm done with all my glitter inks

I have Colorverse Ham #65 which has glitter in the little bottle.  And I have a sample of Nemosine Blue Snowball Nebula TwINKle.  So that's 3 more to be added to the glittery playlist.

Thanks for the review.

Reminds me of the glitter gel pens I used in school art projects.......never liked them...same applies for the color sadly..

On side note the wizards are getting magic energy ready with breakfast...i see.

15 minutes ago, Dimy said:

On side note the wizards are getting magic energy ready with breakfast...i see.

:lol:  Riiight, that's why they waited until after breakfast.  See, even I don't know everything that's going on in wizard-land. :D

Great review, Liz. Sort of gives me an idea of what the darker Starlit Pearl would look like.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

1 hour ago, chromantic said:

Great review, Liz. Sort of gives me an idea of what the darker Starlit Pearl would look like.

Thanks!  I have no idea what "Starlit Pearl" is - who makes it?

Dia

6 hours ago, LizEF said:

Thanks!  I have no idea what "Starlit Pearl" is - who makes it?

Diamine. But my bad, it's called Starlit Sea - I was mixing it up with Blue Pearl (also Diamine), which seems to sit between this Blue Lightning and Starlit Sea.

Edited by chromantic
correction

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

42 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Diamine. But my bad, it's called Starlit Sea - I was mixing it up with Blue Pearl (also Diamine), which seems to sit between this Blue Lightning and Starlit Sea.

Nice - just looked it up.  Blue Pearl looks like a brighter, more "normal" blue.  Starlit Sea a little muted and darker than Blue Lightning.  I suspect I'd like Starlit Sea better, but then I can't see myself running out to buy glittery inks any time soon. :)

Thanks for the review!  I like the base color, but glitter inks are my sworn enemy.  Though this one seems relatively well-behaved...

*if I want glitter, I will use a Sakura glitter gel pen!* 🤣

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

glitter inks are my sworn enemy

Yes, the ink mentioned that as I was filling my pen.  It said, and I quote, "Could you put some of me in a big fat nib, use it to write a letter to @Sailor Kenshin, then send the rest of me and the letter to my foe?  Sort of a Trojan Horse, with glitter inside?  I've been at a serious disadvantage in our feud, what with not having limbs, you see..."

I told it I'd consider the request, but made no promises. ;)

This looks a lot like Arctic Blue. Same glitter particles and sheen, but lighter bas colour. Then there's Blue Pearl which is very dark. Is there an averagely dark blue with a silver shimmer and red sheen in between?

7 hours ago, vtgt said:

This looks a lot like Arctic Blue. Same glitter particles and sheen, but lighter bas colour. Then there's Blue Pearl which is very dark. Is there an averagely dark blue with a silver shimmer and red sheen in between?

Huh, you're right.  Mountain of Ink's review shows the two together, and Arctic Blue is a little darker.  No idea if there's another with silver shimmer that sheens.  Blue Flame looks darker blue, but not as dark as Blue Pearl.  And there are some other brands with medium blues - including Organics Studio Glycine (link to Goulet - one image shows sheen) - and OS are known for sheen...