The Cost Of Brexit

Uncial

1 hour ago, txomsy said:

FWIW, USA is not the only one. There are EU countries that do the same, if you are a national abroad you are requested to make a tax statement and declare your earnings in your local country as well.

It's very comfy to believe one's an exception and turn one's ire on our preferred target, but most of the time the reasons for demonizing someone are not clear cut no matter what anyone says. That's usually a tell tale of a scammer that wants to fuel our need for immediate reward with simple -but profitable for them- storylines.

Or, if you want to look at it in another way, it is very difficult that if one entity (government, company, whatever) comes up with a way to increase their income others will not imitate them quickly. Rarely are we the exceptions we are told.

Do any European countries do that, demand a share of income tax, if someone actually emigrates? I thought it was time limited.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• Uncial

• Karmachanic

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoriartyR
1 hour ago, txomsy said:

FWIW, USA is not the only one. There are EU countries that do the same, if you are a national abroad you are requested to make a tax statement and declare your earnings in your local country as well.

It's very comfy to believe one's an exception and turn one's ire on our preferred target, but most of the time the reasons for demonizing someone are not clear cut no matter what anyone says. That's usually a tell tale of a scammer that wants to fuel our need for immediate reward with simple -but profitable for them- storylines.

Or, if you want to look at it in another way, it is very difficult that if one entity (government, company, whatever) comes up with a way to increase their income others will not imitate them quickly. Rarely are we the exceptions we are told.

No, the US is really the only country in the world that taxes non-resident citizens on their global income. A few other countries tax non-residents for up to six months or a year after they leave, but not beyond that. Eritrea levies a 2% tax on non-residents, but that is small.

We’ve drifted off topic but I wanted to at least correct this.

It amused me how Boris Johnson ended up paying considerable sums of money to the US until a few years ago, for his income and house sales, until he finally decided to give up his dream of "becoming British Prime Minister and then getting promoted to American President", and handed back his passport.

inkstainedruth
On 1/4/2021 at 7:41 PM, RJS said:

The utterly ridiculous fees of the Global Shipping Program drastically reduced what I bothered to import from the States. Books that previously cost $5 to post suddenly cost $45 to post. I've never bought from any seller that uses that program.

Catching up on this thread.

I'm wondering if GSP is the reason for the spike in shipping charges from the UK to the US.  There are a lot of books I've been watching on eBay (things that are harder to get on this side of the pond -- or at least not easily gotten on eBay) but the shipping charges nearly double the cost in some cases.  So I just keep them on my watch list.

Of course I'm also wondering (with the discussion of how MUCH is being collected by eBay in sales taxes such as VAT) how accurate their system is.  I know that my mother used to have bloody war with mail ordering stuff, because the companies would often flat-fee NYS sales tax to the highest denomination (7% back then -- but that rate was only for NYC and maybe Long Island; where I lived it was 5-3/4% and my mother would carefully calculate that amount and remit that amount -- often with an explanatory letter SAYING why she was only including 5-3/4%).  You'd think that with high speed computers that would be easy to program in changes like that....  But perhaps not; after all, try doing a Google search in quotes these days and see what sort of extraneous hits they think you MIGHT want to see instead.  I've had that problem a lot with online retailers as well, to the point that I spent half of Monday going on various chat windows going "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?  DID I ASK YOU TO SHOW ME "Y" WHEN I ASKED TO BE SHOWN "X"????"  (The worst was a shall remain nameless site who -- in spite of Google believing they carried the "X" item, not only DIDN'T, their website showed me, well, SEX TOYS.... :angry:)  Another site told me "Oh, the system thought you might have mistyped your search..." and I said "IT WAS IN QUOTE MARKS!"  And made rude noises about my opinion of "suggestive selling" (a practice I absolutely abhorred when I worked retail years ago, and even more so as a potential customer).  [No, I don't want to hawk the stupee tchotchkes that corporate bought for pennies on the dollar, marked on the packaging at $6.99, and then (every sale!) marked 30% off so the customers would think it was actually a sale....  Reminding customers that they needed thread and maybe straight pins and the right length zipper was one thing (I worked in a fabric store).  The other stuff?  Not so much....]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

inkstainedruth
On 1/25/2021 at 4:49 PM, twigletzone said:

Stuff offshore wind farms. We could power the nation by hooking a dynamo up to Winston Churchilll spinning in his grave.

:lticaptd:

Wonder if his spin rate would be higher than that of my (Roman Catholic) great aunt, knowing that the Lutherans got my uncle in the end.... [She forgave my mother for being Methodist because my mom got her a rosary blessed by the Pope on a trip to Italy in the 1970s....;)]

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The Ebay GSP bull*** ended international shopping from US to abroad. I bought tons of books from America on Ebay before it became a thing, only for GSP to come along, charging ridiculous taxes and duties that don't even apply to books!

I can only assume it was to stop an endless stream of people moaning at ebay that they got stung on import duties.

Edit: I think Covid has more to do with recent shipping hikes than Brexit, with freight prices soaring with so few planes compared to normal in the skies.

Had anyone ever had a refund on the GSP charge after buying a book? Theoretically they should refund fees they didn't actually pay...

inkstainedruth
5 minutes ago, RJS said:

Edit: I think Covid has more to do with recent shipping hikes than Brexit, with freight prices soaring with so few planes compared to normal in the skies.

And that ship running aground in the Suez Canal didn't help, either.  :(

ParramattaPaul
15 minutes ago, RJS said:

Had anyone ever had a refund on the GSP charge after buying a book? Theoretically they should refund fees they didn't actually pay...

Theory has it yes.  Reality on the other hand...

ParramattaPaul

Given that I know someone in the US who planned to buy some perishable goods from the producer on the other side of the country and promptly changed his mind when he found the shipping costs were well in excess of double the cost of the products, I suspect that the outrageous increases we see in shipping may for those in the  EU and UK may be influenced to a degree by Brexit, but are driven by other factors including COVID affecting work forces, and transportation.

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

And that ship running aground in the Suez Canal didn't help, either.  :(

I wonder what is on board that ship, by the way? The contents (and crew) remain captive. If the ship belonged to a powerful or aggressive country Egypt would never have dared impound it and demand a ransom. It was an Egyptian pilot that crashed the boat after all...