Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

New Indian Pen Company- Acriv

Acriv

dwwst12

Can someone explain a bit more exactly what a "crimped" nib is? I've been on here for 15 years and I feel like this is the first time I've heard the term! Does this mean there's no tipping material at all, a la an older Esterbrook? 

Any comparisons to help people understand what the writing experience is like? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• Theroc

• jandrew

• Acriv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honeybadgers
2 hours ago, dwwst12 said:

Can someone explain a bit more exactly what a "crimped" nib is? I've been on here for 15 years and I feel like this is the first time I've heard the term! Does this mean there's no tipping material at all, a la an older Esterbrook? 

Any comparisons to help people understand what the writing experience is like? 

it's similar to a folded tip nib, where instead of having a bead of some super hard material (iridium, osmium, or some other alloy) welded to the tip of the nib to create a super hard, wear-resistant point where the nib touches the paper, the end of the nib is instead folded over to create a "ball" of tipping material that's actually just the nib material itself. This was common on early stainless nibs, particularly esterbrook 1xxx and 2xxx series nibs.

With this nib, if you look at them, it looks like instead of folding the tip of the nib over, they just "smashed" the tipping of the tines sideways into each other (probably before slitting) to create a similar bulge of tipping.

Generally, with steel nibs, this isn't really a big deal. With Gold nibs, however, you'd be wearing away that gold quite quickly since paper is an abrasive. 

there should be no difference in the initial writing experience. What metal touches the paper is irrelevant, as long as it's been polished. The only difference you'd notice is long-term. Within a few years, the nib will start to wear a "foot" where you tend to hold the pen. This will create a minor increase in line width, but it will also make it feel crazy natural and intuitive to you. This also happens with "tipped" nibs, but with them, it takes years or even decades to really "wear in"

So to some people, it's a definite downside. But I've come across some well loved esterbrook folded-tip nibs that matched the angle I hold my pen and they absolutely sing.

And if you wear this nib in to the point where you don't like the tip, you can either have it reground, buy another, or just pay someone like Greg Minuskin to weld a blob of tipping material onto the nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 2 weeks later...
Honeybadgers

about how long does it take to ship? I got my order notification on 5/3, but haven't gotten a shipping notification

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

jandrew
18 minutes ago, Honeybadgers said:

about how long does it take to ship? I got my order notification on 5/3, but haven't gotten a shipping notification

I was just wondering that myself --- also ordered 5/3, and it is still listed as processing.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

langere

Please do give us a quick review when you get the pens.

Thanks!

Erick

Using right now:

Marlen M10 Lux "F" nib running an unknown blue ink cartridge

Wancher Seven Treasures "F" nib running Noodler's Cayenne

Waldmann Xetra "F" nib running Aurora Black

Tibaldi Bononia "F" nib running Noodler's Burgundy

Theroc
On 5/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, Honeybadgers said:

about how long does it take to ship?

It took some time, before I got any notice. All in all, it took about 5 weeks from the day I placed the order to the day it was delivered to mailbox here in the US.

Honeybadgers

I can only imagine right now that India is a NIGHTMARE to ship out of.

I'm willing to be patient, I understand what hell the poor Indian people are going through.

• 2 weeks later...
jandrew
On 5/19/2021 at 11:19 PM, Honeybadgers said:

I can only imagine right now that India is a NIGHTMARE to ship out of.

I'm willing to be patient, I understand what hell the poor Indian people are going through.

I heard from them today --- still under lockdown and curfew, but regs may be easing up slightly and he's hoping to actually get parcels out soon (perhaps this week). Nothing for sure, obviously. 

~ Schrödinger's wife

• 1 month later...
Honeybadgers

I haven't even gotten an email yet.

jandrew
4 hours ago, Honeybadgers said:

I haven't even gotten an email yet.

The email I got was in response to an enquiry I had sent --- that said, I followed up a couple weeks later, and again a week ago, but no response. No idea how they're fairing over there.

~ Schrödinger's wife

• 3 weeks later...
Honeybadgers

I followed up with them on 7/6 and two weeks later haven't heart a peep.

I don't know what's going on there, but I wouldn't recommend making a purchase until they poke their heads out again, because they've got $90 of my money and I've heard/seen nothing, not even an email saying there was going to be a delay.

I sincerely hope the owner didn't get ill/pass away from COVID, but I sent another email asking for just an update, and if I don't hear back in a week or so, I'll have to ask paypal to reverse the charge.

jandrew

No idea what they've gone through, but I did email them again for an update this past weekend, and got a reply on Monday that the order would ship this week and he would send tracking info by Friday. Can't say I am overly encouraged, but we'll see --- otherwise I'll be contacting my bank next week.

~ Schrödinger's wife

Honeybadgers

Seeing as others have gotten their pens before the pandemic absolutely kneecapped India, and you did get a reply on monday, I'd say that's more encouraging than anything else. Thanks for keeping me in the loop on your end, Andrew! It sounds like they are still going. I was genuinely worried not that I was being scammed, but that the owner might have passed away from the pandemic ravaging India.

I have friends who were stuck in India, and who recently returned. The vaccine roll-out continues and things are getting better. But India is vast, and the severity of the pandemic varies enormously from region to region.

Honeybadgers

I got a reply last night which confirmed my suspicions - most of the staff either got COVID, or had seriously ill family that needed caring for, so they've been extremely understaffed. Acriv is based in Mumbai, which was completely devastated by the pandemic.

Diya told me that she would make sure my order was in the post this week, so we'll see, but I told her to not rush things on my behalf, that as a medic here in the US, I totally understand just how devastating this has been. There are far more important things right now than this silly hobby, I just wanted to confirm that my order wasn't lost.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:21 PM, jandrew said:

... got a reply on Monday that the order would ship this week and he would send tracking info by Friday. ...

For the record, that didn't happen ... at this point I'll just consider it a loss and move on.

~ Schrödinger's wife

On 7/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, jandrew said:

For the record, that didn't happen ... at this point I'll just consider it a loss and move on.

Nor for I,

But again, I wouldn't be too suspicious - what's going on in the world right now is unprecedented. Mumbai's area is one of the two worst parts of the country still, the area averaging >50,000 active cases, and the Delta variant that brought them to their knees is infectious and dangerous to a degree that we still can't understand here in North America. Think common cold levels of infectious, and wildly more deadly to the unvaccinated.