what is the difference between omas paragon versus scribo feel nibs?

lionelc

the scribo feel has nibs that are reputedly made using the same machines as the omas paragon nibs - is there anyone here with representatives of these nibs for a head to head comparison?  the metallurgy would be different considering the scribo nibs are split between 14k and 18k whilst the paragon seems to only come in 18k.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• lionelc

• Christopher Godfrey

true como - do you have the luck to try out both the scribo and the flessibile nibs?  with the omas prices going up every year, i am wondering if it is worthwhile getting one just to try out the nib.  have lightened up my writing pressure so hopefully reduced chance of feeling that errr bent tine feeling

@lionelcHave you seen the review @ralfstcmade on Scribo? 

I never had an Omas with Flessibile nib. I tried one in the shop once but didn’t buy it. I don’t remember why. Probably that particular pen/nib didn’t make a wow impression. 

Do you just want an Omas with Flessibile nib? True they are harder to find now. Scribo is a good candidate if you like the look and feel too. 

Or are you more looking for a flexible nib (still talking about Omas)? If that’s the case, vintage Omas/Minerva nibs are excellent, so are Omas nibs from earlier years. Of course this is a wide topic that never ends!

thanks como - i have red ralfstc's review on the scribo.  i own one the scribo's with the flexible nib but had an epiphany recently with a vintage omas - just couldnt believe that the scribo could have come from the same rig.  perhaps it was with the passage of time but the 1990s omas paragon nib in an ob wrote like it was alive.  weird way to put it but it's the best description i could come up with.  will keep an eye out to see if i can get one for a reasonable price - ps many thanks for tip re minerva, can widen the search a bit

@lionelc: I do favor vintage Omas/Minerva nibs. These types in the photo and also the later ones with arrow are all great. Even the smaller ring-top and vest pocket model nibs are also excellent. You can write them in the normal way and they just flex themselves, no need to “push”! If you are not looking for a colorful celluloid, they can be had at still reasonable prices, perhaps even less than what you pay for modern colorful resin with a gold nib. For me it’s better value and more beautiful, but of course I love vintage and celluloid😀.BC5039EF-B83D-4A6F-A74A-2E461DF463C4.thumb.jpeg.77ff6b3daad60fd124ee2d4c1896371e.jpeg

that's what i mean - just my normal writing and my lines vary with no additional effort when i tried that vintage omas.  i will post a writing comparison scribo vs vintage omas once i get my hands on a suitable candidate.  agree re non colourful celluloid - the arco prices at present!  thanks for the picture - to quote some fpners - droolworthy🤤 -

@lionelc Thank you! The vest pocket and ring-top pens are rather small and not really suitable if you have large hands, unless you post, which I don’t on vintage pens and hardly do on any pen. Good luck hunting for a vintage Omas!

There is one small fly in the ointment regarding Minerva, as far as I can see: people are fast learning that these are essentially Omas pens by another name (correctly so) and consequently prices for Minerva are sky-rocketing.

I have one gorgeous green Minerva (with fabulous nib) and I do not think there will be others joining it.

By the way: I also own one modern Omas in what I think is beautiful Burkina celluloid.  It is fitted with an extra-flessibile nib, with which I am <not> very happy!  It flexes; but has no spring-back <after> the flex.  Those who love flex will understand exactly what I mean...

oh no, mushy flex!  i had a look at the minerva prices - definitely climbing steeply.  time to start saving...

@lionelcIf you are not fixated on the Omas brand, there are many vintage pens with good flex (not necessarily wet noodle but with nice soft bouncy feel and quick snap back). I have found that the discovery can be quite random, of course with certain makes it’s more predictable. For example I also found that some Omas desk pens have the typical Omas vintage feel while others can be a bit more rigid. An Omas desk pen with just black celluloid can be quite affordable, sometimes just about the price of a modern pen with steel nib, less than $200, if it’s just black. 

no, no fixation - i am just rounding off a small collection with some vintage european manufacturers.  the omas lean is to get a comparison between omas and the new scribo.  i have a nice vintage montblanc that fits into this category, just a 344-G, plain black but a great ob nib feel.  my pelikans from the 50s are probably the most practical of the bunch - they work perfectly!  i put them up against their modern variants.

@lionelcVintage MB, Pelikan and Omas... - that's a very nice vintage representation! Watch out for very deep rabbit holes (how about Onoto, Swan nibs too? 😀)Though one is free to compare anything with anything, I feel that comparing vintage flex nibs with modern nibs is an unfair game! 😜

maybe not - i have seen photos of fpupulins calligraphy with his modern mb 149 calligraphy - wow.

It used to be that there weren’t many options for modern flex nibs. Recently I tried some flex nibs from Santini (the Flex and Super Flex) and found them to be rather good as well, and not so expensive. So you have the Jowo size 6 elastic in various pens, Aurora, Pineider, Scribo, Santini... and of course MB Calligraphy. But overall value wise i still feel that vintage nibs have an edge. Many are just flexing more effortlessly.

7 hours ago, como said:

But overall value wise i still feel that vintage nibs have an edge. Many are just flexing more effortlessly.

which is why i started this thread and have added a vintage omas to my wish list to do a comparison.  at the moment from my inked up pens, a mabie todd swan L2 from the 20s which has a fairly rigid nib performs better than the scribo - 'better' being a relative term in that it flexes but feels so much more robust (at the cost of < 100usd)

swan l2.jpg

@lionelcNow I understand where you are coming from... So here is a quick sample. The nibs on ring-top PL and midsize Tortoise Brown (both Omas Extra nibs) feel softer and have more flex, but that’s a matter of luck and doesn’t have much to do with the model and finish. Best if you can test before hand or ask the seller (hopefully knowledgeable and honest). Hope this helps.2E3285DD-CCCC-4F3F-8780-4E270AF23AA5.thumb.jpeg.312045fb7831d58f177af330dfa80ae2.jpeg