PEI PBI Plastic Fountain Pen Success

VonPG

PBI (Polybenzimidazole) and PEI (Polyetherimide) could be regarded as super plastic in industry. So I came up with an idea to make a pen like this. 

Advantage

Compared to normal resin such as acrylic, PC, ebonite, acetate. They are far more endurable. Because their super UV resistance, high notch sensitivity factor and same(or higher) hardness.

Disadvantage 

Their color are limited. Normal PBI is brown and PEI is transparent amber. But if we add reinforced material such as carbon and carbon fiber, they will be all black. And it is hard to make complex color combination compared to alumilite resin. 

Notes

PEI+glass fiber reinforced or PBI+glass fiber reinforced are litte bit fragile. These are not suitable for making pen.

Not for sale, just for sharing pen making experience.

Normal PEI is the best material to make a demonstration pen such as Pelikan M800. I hope someone can make this in the future.

Pen Grip PBI plastic reinforced carbon fiber

Pen Cap and body PEI plastic reinforced carbon fiber

Clip 3D Printed Inconel 718 (Super nickel alloy better than GR5 titanium)

Nib Suitable for almost all 6 size nib

My final work is sapphire pen but a problem happened. After solving this I will show it.

DSCF0651.thumb.JPG.81177652bf4a3c667e542924ad3f9baf.JPG

DSCF0657.thumb.JPG.ecbfa462a0d3776baaf1d6ca2c657185.JPG

IMG_20201225_172018.thumb.jpg.b68f9d9acee6f7fc217ea1311e436dee.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulSamurai

• VonPG

The black pen looks good, but it's a little hard to see in the photos. I like the clear pen, it looks well-made and robust! Is it an eyedropper or a c/c pen? I imagine it's not an eyedropper as it seems the ink would come into contact with the metal section if it was. It looks like you could add a clip to the cap if you wanted to? That grooved grip looks interesting, do you find it comfortable? I like textured grips myself, but prefer fine sharp knurling.

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 1:11 PM, SoulSamurai said:

The black pen looks good, but it's a little hard to see in the photos. I like the clear pen, it looks well-made and robust! Is it an eyedropper or a c/c pen? I imagine it's not an eyedropper as it seems the ink would come into contact with the metal section if it was. It looks like you could add a clip to the cap if you wanted to? That grooved grip looks interesting, do you find it comfortable? I like textured grips myself, but prefer fine sharp knurling.

Sorry for replying so late due to the virus.

The black pen is a small failure because my machine is not accurate enough. It has many small scratches in CNC so I decide to make another one next time.  

The transparent pen. It can be both an eyedropper or a c/c pen. I tested its tightness. It performed very well.

3 hours ago, VonPG said:

The transparent pen. It can be both an eyedropper or a c/c pen. I tested its tightness. It performed very well.

That's cool. So if you use it as an eyedropper, does that mean ink will be in contact with the metal section? If so I assume the metal section is made from a very tarnish-resistant material?

How do you feel about posting photos of the pen with a nice colourful ink inside?

On 3/16/2021 at 2:16 PM, SoulSamurai said:

That's cool. So if you use it as an eyedropper, does that mean ink will be in contact with the metal section? If so I assume the metal section is made from a very tarnish-resistant material?

How do you feel about posting photos of the pen with a nice colourful ink inside?

Don't worry, the metal part is TC21 TITANIUM alloy with PVD Titanium Nitride coating. The cladding material is strong enough.

I might be able to made a ceramic grip in the future.

If I have some free tine I will take a picture of that.

Now it is still waiting for some polishment due to some parts are still rough.

Cool. That's something I was curious about because I've read some very strong opinions on this forum about not eyedroppering pens where the ink would have any prolonged contact with metal, so it's interesting to see a pen where it's fine to do that.