Requesting ideas for downsizing collection without actually giving pens away

Paul-in-SF

On 1/2/2022 at 7:00 PM, amberleadavis said:

So glad you kicked that stuff to the curb, Amberlea, I didn't know why I opened Paul in SF thread because I had no initial response.

That was because of you. Much caring thoughts your way.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• amberleadavis

• bisbob

• Lulu Blue

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the sake of completeness and "closure" of a sort, I am reporting back on status so far. And offering thanks for all the suggestions made. 

Since I made the original post in this topic, I have sold 50 pens, both barely-used new and vintage, at prices well under what I think would be retail. The first thing I did was to make up a list of pens for sale and offer them at (what I think was) pretty good prices to my local pen club via their Facebook page (permission applied for and granted). I sold 23 through that route, and I think the buyers were pleased with their purchases, and I was pleased to have moved my unwanted pens to new homes and garnered a little cash in the process. 

Much more recently, I finally got off my dime and compiled another list, the remainders from above plus a few more (and better) pens, and offered it as a group to a dealer. The dealer was very upfront that their offer would be about 50% of what they thought they could get by re-selling them at retail, and I was fine with that. I sent them a list (and photos) of 49 pens, and they selected 27 that they wanted. We agreed on a price range pending inspection, they sent me some of the money, I sent the pens, they inspected them, and we finalized the deal. (In both cases of them sending funds, I got it almost instantly using Zelle, which I recommend.) Again, I am pleased with this because I have moved some unwanted pens and gotten some cash for them, and I feel sure that the final owners will enjoy them. 

This leaves me with far fewer unwanted pens: 18 pens with which I will probably have another PIF sometime soon, and 4 somewhat better pens that I will try to sell somewhere/somehow. This is a much better place to be in than when I started. And I have fulfilled my pledge to not buy more pens this year until I got rid of at least as many pens as I was buying -- since I have bought 6 pens so far this year, I am well ahead of my pledge.

As near as I can count them, I still have 261 pens and that is still too many. My next weeding-out will probably wait until either the Classifieds are back on this site, or I can find another viable sales option. I think I would like to get to (and stay at) under 150 pens. 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:21 AM, Anne-Sophie said:

So glad you kicked that stuff to the curb, Amberlea, I didn't know why I opened Paul in SF thread because I had no initial response.

That was because of you. Much caring thoughts your way.

THANK YOU!!

On 2/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

For the sake of completeness and "closure" of a sort, I am reporting back on status so far. And offering thanks for all the suggestions made. 

Since I made the original post in this topic, I have sold 50 pens, both barely-used new and vintage, at prices well under what I think would be retail. The first thing I did was to make up a list of pens for sale and offer them at (what I think was) pretty good prices to my local pen club via their Facebook page (permission applied for and granted). I sold 23 through that route, and I think the buyers were pleased with their purchases, and I was pleased to have moved my unwanted pens to new homes and garnered a little cash in the process. 

Much more recently, I finally got off my dime and compiled another list, the remainders from above plus a few more (and better) pens, and offered it as a group to a dealer. The dealer was very upfront that their offer would be about 50% of what they thought they could get by re-selling them at retail, and I was fine with that. I sent them a list (and photos) of 49 pens, and they selected 27 that they wanted. We agreed on a price range pending inspection, they sent me some of the money, I sent the pens, they inspected them, and we finalized the deal. (In both cases of them sending funds, I got it almost instantly using Zelle, which I recommend.) Again, I am pleased with this because I have moved some unwanted pens and gotten some cash for them, and I feel sure that the final owners will enjoy them. 

This leaves me with far fewer unwanted pens: 18 pens with which I will probably have another PIF sometime soon, and 4 somewhat better pens that I will try to sell somewhere/somehow. This is a much better place to be in than when I started. And I have fulfilled my pledge to not buy more pens this year until I got rid of at least as many pens as I was buying -- since I have bought 6 pens so far this year, I am well ahead of my pledge.

As near as I can count them, I still have 261 pens and that is still too many. My next weeding-out will probably wait until either the Classifieds are back on this site, or I can find another viable sales option. I think I would like to get to (and stay at) under 150 pens. 

I am very proud of you and glad to receive a pen too!  I've been gifting pens to students and I am enjoying doing so.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

I've been requested to talk about lessons I have learned in this process. I'm afraid there is nothing very profound.

• How happy you will be with the process depends a lot on your reasons for downsizing, whether chiefly monetary, or de-cluttering, or a desire to spread some fountain pens around, or something else. Personally, I found it much easier to not worry about getting a "good" price for a pen when selling it. Some folks got some real bargains from me, some got some okay deals, and we both ended up happy.
  • When you are giving away pens and you can't do it in person, I think it makes perfect sense to ask to be reimbursed for the shipping costs, as long as the amounts are disclosed in advance. It's basically selling the pens for a very very low amount, and anyone who thinks you are charging too much doesn't have to participate. 
  • Also, when you are giving pens away, I think it's quite reasonable to limit the number of pens per person; I limited it mostly to one pen per person. 
  • There is a certain amount of work involved in any process like this, and no-one is going to do it for you, so get off your dime and do it. It helps to have time available; if you're very busy with work and things it makes it tougher. 
  • Organization is very important. I had lists that I cross-checked to make sure I was sending the right pen to the right person. 
  • Even if you are giving pens away (or for the cost of shipping) check the pen before you send it to make sure it works (unless you're giving away project pens and the recipients know that). If you put the pen aside a long time ago, you might not remember that there was something wrong with it. 

This stuff seems pretty self-evident to me, but someone might find it helpful. I like the idea of paying it forward, we all help each other here in various ways, and this can be one of them. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2020 at 2:10 AM, Barkingpig said:

I have given & been given some really nice pens; they remind me of the persons who gave them to me & I hope the ones I have given do the same for their new owners.  If I don't care about something I have & know someone else will feel differently, I am happy to make that possible.  Whatever happens afterwards is beyond my control & if they later sell them, that is their choice to make.

I have a Friend who always want recipients of his gifts to feel they are as treasured as he has felt & lives in trepidation that altho when giving something to someone, that they might later discard or "even sell it!"  I feel sorry for him because I think he is missing the feeling of giving freely but hoping to control actions of the recipients.

I may have learned the relevance of "things" while attending local estate sales for inventory for my antique sales.  Some estates were familiar to me & others estates were strangers to me, just as they were to the persons who purchased from me.  The inherent value was the ITEM sold, not who had formerly purchased same.  It is why I have chosen to give things from my family to people that I believe will enjoy them, without regard for what happens after their receipt.  

Your true gift is in your generous motivation. You will never know how it was appreciated. You will be unhappy if your expectations are not met and you can never know that. So find happiness in  knowing your penableing(?) came from the good motivation in your heart.

Have we figured out a good recipient for starter pens?  I had bought a number of M nabbed Platinum Prefountes to use as tester pens, but I have decided I don't really use them enough to justify the space they take up in my pen roll.  I ran a contest a while back for some vintage drafting pencils, but didn't get as much interest as I had hoped.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 2 weeks later...

I've been giving them to my students. We also have some teachers around here who love to share.  And finally, if you give them to @watch_art, he does an auction which raises money for college scholarships.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...

I give things away to friends and family. They think I am very generous. So that makes you very, very generous. If you sell, you need to put much work in when there are a number of items. Painful. It is hard to sell $$$ things at the supposed going rate (ebay fixed prices, for example) quickly, as well. Can takes months or even years. And auctioning can lose them at a silly price to someone you have NO IDEA about...this is worse than the pessimistic outcome people are describing here of people yoy sort of k ow or can become sort of familiar with being the new cut price custodians.  Good luck with it all. James