Ink leak in the section/feed/nib interface only with cap on (strange, right?)

mresimulator

Hi my hobby friends!

A few months ago I finished the restoration of a Sheaffer Balance Oversize in black and pearl like this one.

After resacking, full cleaning and so on I filled it with ink (Edelstain Pelikan Garnet and Pelikan 4001 black&Blue in other occasion).

When I opened the cap at the next day I noticed that the top of the section was fulled of wet ink. It's important to say that after filled the pen, I drop out a few drops of inks and clean the excess of ink in the feed, as always do. This problem is consistent: that happened a few times already.

Other things to consider are :

1) The leaking doesn't occur when I have the pen in my hand (but sometimes í note an excessive' ink flow) >>>> so I didn't suspect of a 'too big sac' issue. I let you a picture below, just to be sure.

2) I suspect that the leak occurs in the section/feed/nib interface because often I see this zones a little flooded of ink (see photos below)

3) I made a little experiment removing the section and the cap (that is: leaving just the section with the sac, nib and feed) and replacing the cap with a clear plastic small flask (getting sure that the flask inner walls doesn't touch the nib) >>>> in this condition (with the sac filled of ink, obviously) I didn't see any ink leak for several days.

4) After a few measurements I'm sure that the inner cap inner walls doesn't touch the nib surface.

5) During restorations I removed the feed and nib for a deep deep cleaning and polishing (yeah... I know that this practice is not recommended). I made sure to leave the feed and nib in the same position they were originally

6) This leak or 'burp' problem occurs with the pen upside or even in horizontal position.

7) Sometimes a few days passed without any burp but then.... happen.

So, I'm disoriented here... have you any recommendation or suggestion? What do you recommend to fix this technical issue? You're my last hope, hahaha.

BTW: In the last picture I  saw that with the system upside down, the ink doesn't fall to the feed. It is a surface tension issue between the silicone sac and the ink? How can that be fixed?

Best regards!!

image.thumb.png.a70c6296671aa825c3395fa0fc64925a.png

image.png.f35976bc4d7d74b90acddc686a4eda9d.png

image.png.6c5c62d4cf1f3e4376e6f99ce92f1068.png 

image.thumb.png.91c0bc1efa0b4938596e7650dfafbde7.png

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mresimulator

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Silicone sacs are gas permeable, i.e. ink/water can not get through, but air/gasses can.   The oozing  problem is one of the issues with using them, the other being that you have to use silicone cement to secure them to the sac nipple.  Because gases can pass through the sac wall, the balance of air/ink is upset, and the pens ooze if not stored nib up.  The answer is to replace the sac with a regular latex sac or PVC.  Any of the sacs available come with their own issues.  Take a look at this article for more details.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron! Your explanation was very clear to me. Very nice article. I read it years ago, but I didn't remember all the info.

Like I wrote in the item number 6, the oozing problem in my situation occur also in the 'nib up' position. Anyway, I'll replace the silicone sac with a 'regular' latex sac and see if that fix the issue. What do you think?

Regards! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: like Ron suggested, I change the silicone sac for a traditional black latex sack. My pen dont leak anymore :).

Thanks again Ron!!

regard, 

Yea!  Glad that took care of it.  Thanks for the follow up post.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.