How to clean inkwells full of gunk?

Plume145

Replacement glass liners for inkwells are readily available. Try putting "Glass liners for inkwells" into Google and you should be able to find some availability wherever you are.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plume145

• sgphototn

• ParramattaPaul

• Dione

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I picked up a cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at a local thrift store for $4.00 this weekend--they're one of those things that come up fairly often.  The jewelry ones are low-powered, but often available cheaply.

The issue with phosphates being environmentally harmful is that phosphates are a plant nutrient.  When all detergents are phosphate-based, enough gets in the wastewater to cause algae blooms.  Just dump the solution on your lawn and you'll be fine environmentally.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, Dione said:

Replacement glass liners for inkwells are readily available. Try putting "Glass liners for inkwells" into Google and you should be able to find some availability wherever you are.

Woahh...game changer!! That's unbelievably convenient, thanks so much for letting me know about it!! I did find one company in the UK, it's not cheap but neither is it too expensive for me to justify. I think I'm still gonna try the phosphates, because it would be cool if they get cleaned up (especially the small one, which is actually the original liner in itself).

But knowing about this takes the pressure off where if cleaning doesn't work out, I can just throw money at the problem and don't have to get rid of these. I have problems keeping around anything larger than like, a clementine if it doesn't have a use, however rare or specialty, but at the same time I like these two things a lot so it would be a dilemma!

On 1/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, SamChevre said:

I picked up a cheap ultrasonic jewelry cleaner at a local thrift store for $4.00 this weekend--they're one of those things that come up fairly often.  The jewelry ones are low-powered, but often available cheaply.

The issue with phosphates being environmentally harmful is that phosphates are a plant nutrient.  When all detergents are phosphate-based, enough gets in the wastewater to cause algae blooms.  Just dump the solution on your lawn and you'll be fine environmentally.

Oh my gosh, thanks!! This phosphates word, it just kept ringing bells, but I couldn't place it - plants! I only have a basic, educate-layperson's knowledge of chemistry, so it took until you mentioned it for it to click. But this is great, both for the tip to just dump out on the lawn (super helpful!), AND because it gives me pointers on where to look for the stuff locally: plant nurseries! Which are also *drrrrumrrrroll* one of the few retail businesses still open in the lockdown! Yay!

Another fantastic (nearly spelled that 'phantastic' because of all the phosphate talk) late-in-thread addition! Year off to a good start on FPN I see 😉 

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

11 hours ago, Plume145 said:

Oh my gosh, thanks!! This phosphates word, it just kept ringing bells, but I couldn't place it - plants! I only have a basic, educate-layperson's knowledge of chemistry, so it took until you mentioned it for it to click. But this is great, both for the tip to just dump out on the lawn (super helpful!), AND because it gives me pointers on where to look for the stuff locally: plant nurseries!

I don't think that a plant nursery will have TSP--the phosphates used for plants are less reactive.  In the US, it's available at stores where painters buy paint.  But Amazon UK has it as "Intralabs Industrial Cleaner".

If the gunk is old ink, it may be high in iron: in that case, vinegar might work.  (TSP is a strong alkali; alternating it and vinegar can break up gunk, and vinegar is particularly effective on iron stains.)

Once you have them clean, don't try putting ink directly into metal inkwells. All sorts of unusual things might happen. Ink will change, metal will change......

Wow, you guys, I just found the TSP stuff, no legwork required! I just had a lightbulb moment and fed it through google translate to get it in greek (bc I sure wouldn't trust my high school chem to translate), then just...searched for it, as is, and there it was basically! In a store I've known for years no less (have shopped there a few times over the years, even!). It sells supplies for small-scale manufacturing of soap/cosmetics/candles and wine stuff (lots of people in Greece do small-scale winemaking for personal consumption etc). No idea why I'd built it up to being such a big hassle!

And it even ships, so lockdown isn't a problem. Yay!

11 hours ago, SamChevre said:

I don't think that a plant nursery will have TSP--the phosphates used for plants are less reactive.  In the US, it's available at stores where painters buy paint.  But Amazon UK has it as "Intralabs Industrial Cleaner".

If the gunk is old ink, it may be high in iron: in that case, vinegar might work.  (TSP is a strong alkali; alternating it and vinegar can break up gunk, and vinegar is particularly effective on iron stains.)

Old ink, hmm? How old? Not sure. Style wise, could be 100 years old on one of these. I think. Eh, it doesn't hurt to do the alternating thing, right? How would I do it? Pour out one, rinse, pour in the other, or no rinse in between? Also, vinegar neat, right?

11 hours ago, Dione said:

Once you have them clean, don't try putting ink directly into metal inkwells. All sorts of unusual things might happen. Ink will change, metal will change......

One of these should be fine, because it's already a liner (the smaller one - it goes into a big glass Thing that I didn't take a picture of). But yeah, good point for sure, I'll have to take a close look at it. The other one I might actually buy a liner for, but it's better if it's cleaned out first so the liner fits better and everything looks less grubby 😉 

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Rinse between treatments. If you use vinegar, heat it up to almost boiling, then a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. Let it sit overnight.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

20 minutes ago, sgphototn said:

Rinse between treatments. If you use vinegar, heat it up to almost boiling, then a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. Let it sit overnight.

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Ahhh, good thing I asked (& thanks for replying). Would not have guessed either the heating or the dish soap. 

Yeah, I'll definitely keep everybody updated! 

I will disagree with sgphototn: I would not rinse between treatments since the vigorous reaction between the TSP and the vinegar can help break up the gunk.  (Could always rinse, and if it doesn't come clean try not rinsing.)

Adding a drop of dish soap to the vinegar is an excellent idea.

14 hours ago, SamChevre said:

I will disagree with sgphototn: I would not rinse between treatments since the vigorous reaction between the TSP and the vinegar can help break up the gunk.  (Could always rinse, and if it doesn't come clean try not rinsing.)

Adding a drop of dish soap to the vinegar is an excellent idea.

Thanks! I'll do it the way you said 🙂