Where are the Vintage Esterbrook fans?

corgicoupe

I swear they followed me home.  I didn’t encourage them in any way. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

• corgicoupe

• Estycollector

Uh huh.  Likely story.  And I've got a bridge for sale, and some primo resort property in Florida, too.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Jumping in to say that I love vintage Esterbrooks. They are probably the most accessible vintage brand to collect and restore. The dip pens, which were Esterbrooks bread and butter for a long time, are also great. I don't have much time for the modern brand. Unlike Conklins, which command a higher price on the  collectors market and have modern "reimagined designs that at least bear resemblance to the original s, the Esterbrook modern pens look extremely generic. I'm sure they're nice pens, they just don't seem to have much in common with their forebears. 

I have one of the new ones and do not see a need to purchase another one.  To me they are like a Sheaffer Snorkel on steroids, big and fat.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

On 1/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, corgicoupe said:

I have one of the new ones and do not see a need to purchase another one.  To me they are like a Sheaffer Snorkel on steroids, big and fat.

Do they have a Snorkel tube?  That would clinch it for me -- I would never buy one.  I have two Snorkels, and the darned tubes will not go back in.  I restored one of them, someone else screwed up the other one.  Well, eighty cents at an estate sale, no big loss.

How do you spell Snorkel?  J-u-n-k.  Once they break, though, you can just play with them.  Like Vacumatic fillers.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Love my 3 Estie J and SJ pens! they write so well and the wide selection of nibs gives you so much choice.  

Even though I understand they were also produced in England, they seem to be scarce over here, with those in auction go for high prices...my next goal is to buy a copper J. Great Colour! 

They seem to have lasted well over the years: the ones I bought are in tip top condition, apart from the SJ missing a clip! I am guessing one can source spare parts within the USA? If anyone knows of same in the UK, would love to know. 

Best Wishes from Old Blighty.  

4 hours ago, pajaro said:

Do they have a Snorkel tube?  That would clinch it for me -- I would never buy one.  I have two Snorkels, and the darned tubes will not go back in.  I restored one of them, someone else screwed up the other one.  Well, eighty cents at an estate sale, no big loss.

How do you spell Snorkel?  J-u-n-k.  Once they break, though, you can just play with them.  Like Vacumatic fillers.  

No tube, Paul.  It just has a shape similar to a Snorkel that happened to be sitting on my desk.

Robert Frost

For those of you who are coveting the 9312 nib, I will have a pen for sale soon that has an uninked one with a box.

Tempting, but I'll be happy with my 2312.

Robert Frost

5 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

For those of you who are coveting the 9312 nib, I will have a pen for sale soon that has an uninked one with a box.

tease

10 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

I'm afraid to ask the price.  Although I presume it will be less than most of the 8440 nibs I've seen for sale on the Bay of Evil....  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/5/2021 at 4:33 PM, corgicoupe said:

I liked the look of the Estie Peacock.  Not, however, the price.... :o

I still love my heirloom grey J, 3 SJs and 2 purse pens, especially the purse pens.... but I have to confess that the piston-filling Osmiroid 75 has proven a lot more practical for letting me practice edged pen hands with fancy Japanese inks not recommended for latex sacs, and the 65 seals exceptionally well even though that is the pen with the burn scar. Any chance this sub could expand to include the whole Estie-moid + venus nib ecosystem? They feel like one family to me and the nib-swapping is frequent!

The new Esties look too big to be fathomed, I like vintage sizes. 

The total is currently seven. A single black LJ Bell Systems pen (2464),

A single SJ in red with 9450, blue J transitional (1555 Gregg right now), and gray, green, copper and black J pens. (Venus Fine, 9550,1551 and 9540 respectively) The 1551 is a replacement for a nib that fell apart. The gray is one I just beat gweimer for on ebay. I think I paid something like $13.12. The least I have paid. The most was the green at $39 shipped here on FPN Classifieds restored. Everything else was under about $22. The copper is clipless. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Beating Gary Weimer is something to brag about.

I have found the 1555 Gregg to be great in a desk pen because it always seems to be ready to write. I suspect it might have something to do with a stenographer not being tolerant of a hard starting pen.

I have one LJ, but I think the SJ would be too small for me. I have all the colors in Js and duplicate some of those in Transitionals. I also have a Relief 2-L and a Relief 12, both with 14K 314 nibs. They are different enough from the Js to make them worth having. The 2-L is black but the 12 [made by Conway Stewart] is gray hatch [from Gary Weimer, as is the 2-L and a few others].

Robert Frost

I lose WAY more than I win on eBay.  I sometimes refer to myself as the seller's friend.  There are so many pens out there, that everyone gets the one they want eventually.  There are few pens that make me froth at the mouth enough to forget the price, but it's been known to happen.

1 hour ago, gweimer1 said:

I lose WAY more than I win on eBay.  I sometimes refer to myself as the seller's friend.  There are so many pens out there, that everyone gets the one they want eventually.  There are few pens that make me froth at the mouth enough to forget the price, but it's been known to happen.

Speaking of ebay: I picked up a PFM v1 the other day, after we discussed it. I did indeed find a better price than the $250 I had mentioned - you were right to suggest I look harder. It's on its way from Canada right now. (of course, who can tell what the condition will be - always a gamble when you look for a bargain)

Back on topic: I could go for another M2 and pencil one of these days. . .

Does Esty have any other hoop fillers worth owning? 

I've been a fan ever since I found (and later repaired) my mom's red Esterbrook SJ. It was one of the pens that took me far down this rabbit hole. They're fantastic. I've gone in waves of buying others, but now keep my collection limited. My mom's has sentimental value to me, so I currently don't want another red or SJ Estie. I've given away or sold probably 5 Esterbrooks over the years.

I currently have and thoroughly enjoy this small assortment (plus a few spare nibs): 

1. SJ, red. Nib: currently 9668. Waiting for the Birmingham Southern Portal ink I ordered for it to arrive. 

2. J, grey. I found this at an antique store this summer. Great cosmetic condition, but needed a new sac (done) and the 1555 nib was in bad shape. I filed it and it now essentially a fine stub; the lines it produces are great and this is now a favorite combo. Currently using the last drops of Robert Oster Grey Seas and about to try Diamine Early Grey in it.

3. Dollar pen, demi, copper. My first dollar pen and I love it. Bought from a super-friendly eBay seller about a month ago, replaced the sac, polished it, and swapped out a weak nib with a 9128. Fantastic combo. Just used up a fill of Pelikan Turquoise (a beautiful contrast to the pen's color) and about to fill with Diamine Chocolate--a favorite that I haven't used in a long time.

I really like ink windows, so a Visumaster (J) is on my wishlist, but that's the only Estie I'm currently hoping to find.

1 hour ago, NumberSix said:

Speaking of ebay: I picked up a PFM v1 the other day, after we discussed it. I did indeed find a better price than the $250 I had mentioned - you were right to suggest I look harder. It's on its way from Canada right now. (of course, who can tell what the condition will be - always a gamble when you look for a bargain)

Back on topic: I could go for another M2 and pencil one of these days. . .

Does Esty have any other hoop fillers worth owning? 

I like the A101 pens.  They are the squeeze fill version of the CA101.