Where are the Vintage Esterbrook fans?

corgicoupe

Absolutely nothing wrong with having eight vintage Esterbrooks.  Some of my additional ones were purchased because of the nibs or the transitional variants.  I have one of the newer Esterbrooks and use it for writing checks, but it is significantly larger than the Js and probably does not need to be, in my opinion.  But it was a gift from my lovely wife and will therefor remain in the collection.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

• corgicoupe

• Estycollector

I have 11 Esterbrooks including two era pencils to match the pens. I have bought pens to get the nib like the 3556, but I never bought one that was not also one I wanted to have in the collection. This is not an excessive number of pens IMHO. 

All of mine are black and grey, my favorite colors. I don't have any of the 1000 series and several are the 9000 type, but several of the 2556 round and flat feed are excellent daily use nibs. 

I've given three or four away to family and friends. So the total is more or less 15 that I've found and restored. What I need to do is get some new inventory or j bars and sacs just in case. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Since I do a lot of restoring and selling, especially Esterbrook pens, I have a lot.  I think I have close to 200 down in the shop, along with probably 100+ NOS nibs, and likely 100+ used good nibs.
My own collection is probably somewhere around 50, and I have a few prototypes.  I need to get a photo together.

I also just got  a 9312 nib, so I need to figure out a nice pen for that.

Well, I don't have as many as some people.  Current count is 17 J series pens in various sizes and colors, plus some extra nibs.  Oh, and a dip pen set, still on the original display card, with about ten nibs and two barrels (but I'm not sure where that is in the house) which was a happenstance find walking back to the T-stop after my first trip to Bromfield's.

Most of them I got early on in the hobby.  A lot of them I got cheap on eBay.  But I've never paid more than about $35 US for any of them.  Someday I will actually sit down and  see which ones actually are in working condition and which ones need to have new sacs or whatever -- I keep meaning to, but get sidetracked.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

10 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

Can't say that I paid more than $18, but I restore my own. :)

It's the best way, and they are pretty simple to work on.

3 minutes ago, gweimer1 said:

It's the best way, and they are pretty simple to work on.

If I can do it, it must be simple. Lots of free help that I must attribute to the fine members like yourself. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Huge Estie collector here. My wife and I bought a house recently, and I was in the midst of changing jobs, so I had to get rid of my twist filler and and a black visumaster set, but I still have the remaining visumater colors for both the fp’s and pencils. I have a few other super rare gems, but those are my favorite by far...aside from the doctor pen. That’s my absolute fav!!

I like these pens for the interesting history and for the different types, especially the pump fillers and M2s.  The nibs are interesting.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I never handled a pump filler, but I did not like the feel of the M2.  The standard J model is my preference.  However, my new Relief 12 is a pleasure to use, as is my Relief 2-L.  The new Estie just feels a bit large in my hands.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

26 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

This morning's journaling pen:  

Esterbrook J (9668 firm medium) - copper finish

w/ Aurora Blue Black

180126947_sv8xmkd0cy761.jpg

Is that one I sold?

11 minutes ago, gweimer1 said:

Is that one I sold?

Why yes, yes it is.  A fine piece of writing equipment it is, too. 

(and you just shipped me an Azure Vacumatic, if you wonder who I am 😉)

9 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

Why yes, yes it is.  A fine piece of writing equipment it is, too. 

(and you just shipped me an Azure Vacumatic, if you wonder who I am 😉)

I figured it out.  🙂

I’m still a fan...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Yup. Very nice. 

I’ve been occupied. I went to look at some 51s and ended up with a few dozen Esterbrooks as if I needed them. 

Tomorrow I’m going to look at a Conklin collection. I confirmed there are no Esterbrooks in advance...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

57 minutes ago, FarmBoy said:

Yup. Very nice. 

I’ve been occupied. I went to look at some 51s and ended up with a few dozen Esterbrooks as if I needed them. 

Tomorrow I’m going to look at a Conklin collection. I confirmed there are no Esterbrooks in advance...

There are alternatives to just "ending up" with them. 😀