Where are the Vintage Esterbrook fans?

corgicoupe

FPN is back, but those who enjoy vintage Esterbrooks seem to have vanished.  That's been a disappointment for me.  My only purchase during the hiatus was an Esterbrook Relief 12, based on the Conway Stewart 28.  My Relief 12 has a gray hatch pattern, and the nib is a 14K left foot oblique that measures about 1mm, which I think falls into the category of broad. It's a wet writer with the Diamine Onyx Black ink, but demands that I practice since I generally lean toward fine or extra fine nibs.  I claim this to be my last purchase because there is nothing else that I really desire. My ten Esterbrooks and about twenty nibs just seem to meet all my writing needs.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• inkstainedruth

• corgicoupe

• Estycollector

I'm here.  Just been dealing with stuff (and the new format here has been the least of the issues, although I have to remember to adjust the new content away from "365 Days" every time I sign in).  

I really can NOT wait for 2020 to be over....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm contemplating being an Esterbrook fan if that helps any.  I had a J series which I sold but now wish I had kept it.  Are there any models made in the 40's or 50's which are longer and heavier available at a somewhat similar price range as the J series??  

BTW: Glad to see you are in the Esterbrook club Ruth.

Well, admittedly most of mine are in the "someday I'll get around to trying them and see if they need new sacs, and then read up and watch a lot of videos on how to do that..." phase.  Plus the red J my husband gets once it's up and running and then we play the "is this EF nib narrow enough for you?" game.  That's why I'd someday like to be able to get my hands on one of the superfine/cartography nibs (8440 nib) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and another arm....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Still here, and still enjoying my vintage Esterbrooks immensely. I love their flexibility and adaptability.  Recently, I’ve been practicing my italic calligraphy with Osmiroid broad nibs B2 and B4 inserted into my favorite grey Esterbrook J (my first sac replacement, I believe). I am also a big fan of the Esterbrook music nib—a slightly flexible long tine nib with a quill-like action that is good for writing chancery cursive. Esterbrooks offer a pleasant way to practice calligraphy with results comparable to dip nibs. I also use a Dipless inkwell and pen, fitted with a 2314M nib, for daily journaling. I get 2-3 pages of smooth writing in my Nanami Seven Seas journal without needing to dip again.

I am a big fan and I've noticed that old Esterbrooks are popular on eBay. However, since moving, my beloved Esterbrooks are 200 miles South and only get used on the weekends. I have a long holiday there coming and hope to ink a few. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Still using my Esterbrooks and still looking to purchase the nibs that I do not have.  I have a Dollar pen (2464) inked on the table next to my chair in front of the fire.

Years ago, I thought I would collect one of every Esterbrook fountain pen nib.  I have thirty-six different nibs, though multiple copies of many of the more common ones.  I think there are something like sixty-nine different nibs.  I do scratch my head and wonder what possessed me to try to have a collection of all the different Esterbrook fountain pen nibs. 

Except for a few instances, like preferring the 2048 over the 9048, I have found the 9xxx nibs to be nicer than the 2xxx series.  You need not collect all of them.

Robert Frost

20 hours ago, MTHALL720 said:

I'm contemplating being an Esterbrook fan if that helps any.  I had a J series which I sold but now wish I had kept it.  Are there any models made in the 40's or 50's which are longer and heavier available at a somewhat similar price range as the J series??  

BTW: Glad to see you are in the Esterbrook club Ruth.

Yeah, I'm still here.  You would probably like the Deluxe LK or Deluxe SM pens.  They came with metal caps, so I find that they balance a little better when writing.   You might also look at the M2, which is a little light, but has a feel something like a Parker 51, with the Esterbrook nib options.   And, yes, I have all of them available for sale...somewhere.

I got about half my Esterbrook J pens from Gary, plus a couple of Parker VS models.  I hope that says something about why I recommend you visit his MidnightPens.

Robert Frost

22 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, admittedly most of mine are in the "someday I'll get around to trying them and see if they need new sacs, and then read up and watch a lot of videos on how to do that..." phase.  Plus the red J my husband gets once it's up and running and then we play the "is this EF nib narrow enough for you?" game.  That's why I'd someday like to be able to get my hands on one of the superfine/cartography nibs (8440 nib) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and another arm....

Ruth,

I think you ought to try two nibs for your husband -- the 2048 and the 9128.  I have two different versions of the 9128 and they are quite different in their behavior.  The one that has 9128 embossed parallel to the tines is softer and the tines will spread with pressure; it also has the newer version of the feed, the one that looks like a Touchdown.  The one that has the 9128 perpendicular to the tines has the older feed with the plain flat surface near the tines.  I find this one works well when treated as a firm extra fine nib.  With the right ink it might be a satisfactory substitute for the 8440 at 1/5th the cost.  I think the 9048 is a bit stiffer than the 2048 so that may also be a possibility,

Robert Frost

14 minutes ago, corgicoupe said:

I got about half my Esterbrook J pens from Gary, plus a couple of Parker VS models.  I hope that says something about why I recommend you visit his MidnightPens.

I just placed my third order in about two weeks from him, making it four orders in total since I heard of midnight pens about a month ago.

I’ve ordered a number of different things, but in Estie world it’s been:

M2 and pencil - terrific pen and pencil set. The nib is a 9xxx stub. I like that it has a hoop squeeze filler, like my beloved Parker 21s.

Waiting for:

J-series, copper

Deluxe SM

Yeah... Gary sends you a restored Esterbrook for little more than you would pay for a rough one from a flea market.  It won't sit in a drawer waiting for a new sac.  Hear that, Ruth?   🧐

Robert Frost

32 minutes ago, corgicoupe said:

Ruth,

I think you ought to try two nibs for your husband -- the 2048 and the 9128.  I have two different versions of the 2128 and they are quite different in their behavior.  The one that has 9128 embossed parallel to the tines is softer and the tines will spread with pressure; it also has the newer version of the feed, the one that looks like a Touchdown.  The one that has the 9128 perpendicular to the tines has the older feed with the plain flat surface near the tines.  I find this one works well when treated as a firm extra fine nib.  With the right ink it might be a satisfactory substitute for the 8440 at 1/5th the cost.  I think the 9048 is a bit stiffer than the 2048 so that may also be a possibility,

Well I doubt he'd like those.  The whole point is that he's "Mr. BIC Fine Point" and keeps having me buy him packs of the Zebra ballpoints at Staples....  

I've got some 2556 and 9556 nibs, at least one 2550 and a couple of 9550s, as well as some of the equivalent in the manifold nibs (9461).  But given that he didn't like the F nib on the used Vanishing Point I found in the wild a few years ago :o (had to get him an EF nib assembly for it instead) -- I doubt that the "flex" nibs would interest him in the slightest.  That's why I keep thinking "If I could JUST afford the nose-bleed prices on the 8440 Superfine/Cartography...."

I guess my favorite Esterbrook pens are the 1930’s “dollar” hard black rubber . I found a matching pencil. 

The 1949-54 Deluxe look and feel quality. 

And it evolution of the flat to round feed it interesting.

I have no regrets starting with Esterbrook and learning to re-sac and whatever else was needed thanks to Anderson Pens inventory of replacement parts. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

14 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well I doubt he'd like those.  The whole point is that he's "Mr. BIC Fine Point" and keeps having me buy him packs of the Zebra ballpoints at Staples....  

I've got some 2556 and 9556 nibs, at least one 2550 and a couple of 9550s, as well as some of the equivalent in the manifold nibs (9461).  But given that he didn't like the F nib on the used Vanishing Point I found in the wild a few years ago :o (had to get him an EF nib assembly for it instead) -- I doubt that the "flex" nibs would interest him in the slightest.  That's why I keep thinking "If I could JUST afford the nose-bleed prices on the 8440 Superfine/Cartography...."

Ruth,

The trick with the 9128 is to ignore the flex idea and just keep a light pressure on the nib. That way you are treating it simply as an extra fine.  This is easier with the 9128 that has the earlier feed and the 9128 running perpendicular to the tines because it is stiffer than the the one with the 9128 running parallel, and which also has the feed with the hole.

Robert Frost

Oh we are here :)  Playing with a plunger filler Esterbrook tinight. It is simply amazing that they are stll working so many years later.  (Photos including some x-rays here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/143406-esterbrook-plungr-filler/?tab=comments#comment-1422742). I said x-rays, not x-rated pictures :) 

22 hours ago, corgicoupe said:

Ruth,

The trick with the 9128 is to ignore the flex idea and just keep a light pressure on the nib. That way you are treating it simply as an extra fine.  This is easier with the 9128 that has the earlier feed and the 9128 running perpendicular to the tines because it is stiffer than the the one with the 9128 running parallel, and which also has the feed with the hole.

I'll have to check and see which I have.  But I'll still try him on the "regular" EF nibs first.  And of course an affordable 8440 comes along (I'd like to try that one myself).

At this point I think I have most of the 9xxx nibs, except for a 9312 Italic nib and one that I can't tell if it's real or a typo: 9650 medium manifold (as opposed to the 9460 [medium] rigid/manifold).