Old Guanleming pens identification

ZhenyaR

Hello,

In a bunch of old pens I found two practically identical pens with chinese hieroglyphs on them. The only difference between them is their body color and the lack (I suppose) of the ring on the cap on the black pen. Both are button-fillers.

Google.Translate is the real great invention, so with his help I've translated the first three of the hieroglyphs on the barrels as Guanleming.

Then after some search in the Internet I found the old ad, the pens on which looks like mine.

But that was the only result I got. Nothing more.

I suppose these pens were made in 1960-1970es as they look like Parker Duofold UK (or maybe I'm mistaken).

Hope someone could give more details on them.

Clips.jpg

Disassemble.jpg

Guanleming pens 204 304.JPG

Nibs.jpg

Pens.jpg

Signs.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZhenyaR

• Mech-for-i

• Tefolim

• IJKWS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm it might be quite a bit older than what you think ... the brand basically stop producing any button filler since the mid 50s , this looks like 1940's or early 1950's production to me , the nib stamping is inline with the brand's offering at the time and the stamping say 50% gold aka 12K. Its hard to tell what kind of material the pen used for construction. And as far as model name goes, well, there was none of such as during the time period , the pen was offered just as is and was simply referred to as standard size, lady size, etc etc .... considering the factory shut down its operation during part of the war years and had only limited production capacity in the early 50's, this look more like very late 30's / early 40's production  or it might be very early 50's production using the old jig. If its ebonite then its likely pre war , if its Bakelite it could be war years or 50's and if its plastic its almost definitely early 50's

Thank you for the information. I checked the pens but as I think they are nor the ebonite, nor the bakelite. Looks like a plastic used on Parker pens in 1950-1960 era.

I also checked the Parker Collector's website and I'm practically sure that these Guanleming pens mimic (or simply copy) the design of Parker Duofold AF pens: spacer.png

I compared them with my Parker Duofold UK Junior (w aerometric) and the only differences between them are the length of the caps (Duofold's cap is slightly lengthier than Guanleming) and the barrel thickness (Guanleming is slightly thickier).

Anyway, thank you for mentioning that the Guanleming factory stopped making button fillers in the mid 50s, so I guess that both of these pen were made in early 1950es.

BTW, do you know what 2 other hieroglyphs mean on the pens' barrels? First 3 mean "Guanleming" but what about 2 other?

Edited by ZhenyaR

• 1 month later...

sorry about late reply , the other 2 text literally mean GOLD PEN , the gold part refer to the nib and well pen means pen ...

On 1/30/2021 at 9:49 PM, Mech-for-i said:

sorry about late reply , the other 2 text literally mean GOLD PEN , the gold part refer to the nib and well pen means pen ...

Thank you! So now I know that I have two Guanleming Gold Pens made in 1950es. It's better than nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I am quite sure that they are 204 and 304 made in 1950s.

The blue one is 204, while the black one is 304.

In the Introduction for Repairing in 1951. 09. 01,  the only two single color(black) barrel fountain pens were 808(large size) and 404(mid size).

The ad was published between 1951. 07. 01 - 1954 for introducing new products.

And some manufacturers stopped using English on nib in about 1951.  

What's more, after 1956, it seemed that the type of Rockman fountain pens sold under Doctor brand. And the Chinese characters were simplified in 1956

These pens were produced between 1951(later than 1951. 09. 01 )-1956

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 5:34 AM, Tefolim said:

I am quite sure that they are 204 and 304 made in 1950s.

The blue one is 204, while the black one is 304.

In the Introduction for Repairing in 1951. 09. 01,  the only two single color(black) barrel fountain pens were 808(large size) and 404(mid size).

The ad was published between 1951. 07. 01 - 1954 for introducing new products.

And some manufacturers stopped using English on nib in about 1951.  

What's more, after 1956, it seemed that the type of Rockman fountain pens sold under Doctor brand. And the Chinese characters were simplified in 1956

These pens were produced between 1951(later than 1951. 09. 01 )-1956

Thank you for the information! Do you know the difference between 204 and 304 models? I can say that from my point of view they are practically identical, except the their color and the absence of the ring on the cap of the black pen (but the traces on the cap show that the ring was there probably).

“关勒铭”(Rockman)became a part of Kinsin Pen Company(shanghai) in the early 1960s and stopped producing in about 1966.

In 1990s,Hero produced some pen with “关勒铭”brand

Edited by IJKWS