Celluloid Degradation - What is it and why?

sgphototn

I'm interested in getting some celluloid pens both vintage and new, but I'm unfamiliar with the properties beyond how they are made and their beauty. What causes celluloid breakdown and why should a pen be isolated from other celluloid pens? Any other things to be aware of? Thanks.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• sgphototn

• es9

• sidthecat

Do a Google search, and you'll find loads of information.  It's a well known topic in preservation circles, and knife collecting as well as fountain pens.

The reason for isolating the pens is that as part of the decay nitric acid is released by the failing material.  This nitric acid then triggers decay in otherwise good celluloid, and also causes corrosion of the metal trim.  It's nasty and ugly, and it spreads.  Allowing the celluloid to breathe i.e. allowing air to circulate around the parts and out of the storage area instead of in a sealed box or case, allows the nitric acid fumes to escape.  Isolating a damaged pen prevents the damge to other pens.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have the horrible memory of a pale green Carter ringtop that literally fell apart in my hands. Something similar happened to a beautiful little French pen that I'd sent out for restoration - the restorer sent me back the pieces..."It's celluloid, Jake."

Per David Nishimura's suggestion, I recently bought some MicroChamber paper to help reduce the risks associated with celluloid decay.  Additional curiosity lead to additional googling, which lead to this article suggesting that a pretty simply test can reveal what objects made of celluloid are teetering closer to the proverbial brink.  (It looks like there's been some research into the efficacy of such a test.)

Has anyone experimented with any kind of test like this?

Also, regarding MicroChamber paper: Does anyone know if it actually has to be touching the pens, or if it's enough to have it nearby?  The experiment described on pages 2-3 in this article would lead me to believe proximity -- as opposed to actual contact -- suffices.  

If my reading of these findings is correct, then there is no way to tell whether a celluloid pen is deteriorating or not until it's too late to do anything about that particular pen. I also gather that this applies to recent celluloid pens as well as vintage pens. 

The only 'preventative' (if it is in fact a preventative) is to keep the pens in an fairly airtight container with the special paper and/or activated charcoal.

If I'm missing something, please inform me. 

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

I am much more confident of the stability of vintage celluloid than I am of modern, especially the Italian celluloid.  There are some vintage colors that are more prone to decay, and some manufacturers material.  Sheaffer in general had very stable material, the exceptions being the marbled green and red veined gray celluloid.  Jade is usually good, black and pearl a bit less, the green and brown stripe very good, as are the carmine and roseglow colors.  Black is always very good.  Parkers were good too.  The red and mandarin don't decay, as much as they become brittle over time.  But I don't know that I've ever seen a decayed Duofold.  Only one or two Depression pens, or challenger pens over the years.

But the modern Italian pens....  

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

4 minutes ago, Ron Z said:

I am much more confident of the stability of vintage celluloid than I am of modern, especially the Italian celluloid.  There are some vintage colors that are more prone to decay, and some manufacturers material.  Sheaffer in general had very stable material, the exceptions being the marbled green and red veined gray celluloid.  Jade is usually good, black and pearl a bit less, the green and brown stripe very good, as are the carmine and roseglow colors.  Black is always very good.  Parkers were good too.  The red and mandarin don't decay, as much as they become brittle over time.  But I don't know that I've ever seen a decayed Duofold.  Only one or two Depression pens, or challenger pens over the years.

But the modern Italian pens....  

Thanks. That's very helpful. 

I see vintage celluloids that have faded or changed color on various places on the pen. Is discoloration in a vintage celluloid an early indicator of approaching failure?

29 minutes ago, sgphototn said:

Thanks. That's very helpful. 

I see vintage celluloids that have faded or changed color on various places on the pen. Is discoloration in a vintage celluloid an early indicator of approaching failure?

The colour changing/darkening that you especially see on a lot of Jade pens (like the Jade duofold) and paler pens is from the barrel reacting to the sac gassing. That’s why a lot of restorers recommend switching to silicone sacs when doing a modern replacement, which should help preserve the barrel. The discolouration from what I understand is purely cosmetic and can affect monetary value of the pen.

For a visual example of celluloid breakdown you can Google or search FPN for “Wahl-Eversharp Doric” and “crazing” or “crystallization” (in my research it seemed some colours of this pen were just more prone to crazing at the ends- pity as it’s a beautiful pen).  

• 2 years later...

I have a Danitrio Cum Laude blue celluloid pen bought new in 2012 but as it was a superseded model (before they went fancier) it is likely much older.

Is there any record of their performance? It remains in excellent condition

On 12/28/2020 at 7:50 AM, Ron Z said:

The two pens I have that show celluloid degradation are both Wahl-Eversharp from the 30's, one a Pacemaker, the other a Doric, both in a light-brown or honey color. They are suitably sequestered from other pens. 

Good move.   Beautiful colors, but I hate it when I see the celluloid turning translucent.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens