Sailor 1911 vs 1911M

jsparks

I'm considering getting one of these two pens. They sound like wonderful pens. I don't have anywhere that I could actually hold either of these closer than about a 7 hour drive. I'm curious about how much smaller the 1911M is compared to the regular 1911. I've seen various web sites that list the length difference between the two (which don't really seem very significant). I'm really interested in the diameter of the section. Could someone with either or both of these pens measure the diameter of the section (say midpoint of the section) and post the results?

Thanks!

John

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jsparks

• KCat

• KendallJ

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question - I'd like to know the answer as well.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have a 1911 so can provide 1/2 the answer.

section (midpoint) 11mm

body (widest point) 13mm

cap (widest) 15mm

I like the size and weight of this thing a lot. I prefer med - large pens, with med - light weigth.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

According to www.nibs.com (John Mottishaw's website), the 1911M "measures 5 1/4" capped and has a barrel diameter of .487". It weighs in at 19.6 grams compared to the 23.7 grams of the standard 1911."

For comparative purposes, 0.487"=12.4mm

Edited for typo (12.4mm instead of 13.4mm - SORRY)

Edited by southpaw
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for the information Kendall.

I saw the Nibs.com information. By my calculations .487" is actually 12.4mm (I assume this is the maximum barrel diameter, so a little less than the 13mm for the regular 1911). The regular 1911 is 5 3/8" long on the same website (only 1/8" longer).

It seems like it would be useful for some of the pen sites to have a standard set of measurements (the more the better) and do the same measurements for each pen. It's strange how few websites give anything other than just pen length (maybe both capped and posted). It's also interesting how different sites give different measurements for the same pens.

John

denis and others have talked about some sort of database with information like this as well as a overall opinions from owners of the pens being discussed. not sure when or if we'll get something like that going but I do think it would be helpful.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

PT had a BoWaMa (sp?) Bureau of Weights and Measures for such things, but I think the problemwas getting people to sit down and measure their pens and enter the info.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Maybe we shoud simply ask Sailor company :P

hmph! silly idea. Why ask the people who make it? :D :D

i wish I had a 1911M to measure for you. next year perhaps.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have finally took a look on Sailor's company web site

size comparaison is here. Use Worlingo to translate.

It seems that there are 4 types of 1911 FP (aka Profit) and 3 sizes.

Profit 21 aka. 1911

Profit Standard 21 aka. 1911M with 21K nib

Profit Standard aka. 1911M with 14K nib

Profit "Ready", I don't know what it is.