Calling All Lamy 2000 Skeptics (Current and Former)

Checklist

I'll weigh in as a reluctant skeptic. The only thing that really keeps me wanting one is the idea of a stubbish, broad, wet writing nib. Outside of that, I can't help but honestly feel that the Aion is a better L2K with respect to "what makes a Lamy a Lamy." 

• The Aion C/C system is more practical and convenient than the piston filler
  • The relaxed taper of the Aion makes it more ergonomic, IMO, for those who like a bigger pen (me)
  • The exposed nib system is easier to use, nicer to look at, and more modular
  • The brushed aluminum texture of the Aion looks a little nicer and feels cooler (I like that)
  • The materials in the Aion have a better wear resistance compared to Makrolon

Given that I can pick up a gold Lamy nib + Lamy Aion for about the same price as a retail Lamy 2000, I'm skeptical about the Lamy 2000 in general. However, the potential gushing wet writing experience in a stubbish broad nib is something that is hard to find in other pens, and something that I'm very interested in. The only other pens that seem to come close to this are more expensive and don't have the same modern design that the Lamy does. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Checklist

• es9

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, arcfide said:

I'll weigh in as a reluctant skeptic. The only thing that really keeps me wanting one is the idea of a stubbish, broad, wet writing nib. Outside of that, I can't help but honestly feel that the Aion is a better L2K with respect to "what makes a Lamy a Lamy." 

• The relaxed taper of the Aion makes it more ergonomic, IMO, for those who like a bigger pen (me)
  • The brushed aluminum texture of the Aion looks a little nicer and feels cooler (I like that)

Given that I can pick up a gold Lamy nib + Lamy Aion for about the same price as a retail Lamy 2000, I'm skeptical about the Lamy 2000 in general. However, the potential gushing wet writing experience in a stubbish broad nib is something that is hard to find in other pens, and something that I'm very interested in. The only other pens that seem to come close to this are more expensive and don't have the same modern design that the Lamy does. 

I have an Aion with a broad nib and I can't wait to sell it. I am just waiting for the Classifieds to get fixed. The grip section is too fat for me. I also have an L2k, and I think the L2k  has a much higher quality feel. From the way it caps to the way it is finished, it just looks like the nicer pen. The feel of the nib on paper is completely different too.

Having said that, you can get Lamy's 1.1 mm stub nib for your Aion and that will give you a broad line with a stubbish profile. The nibs that fit the Al-Star/Safari, etc all fit on the Aion too.

14 hours ago, arcfide said:

, I can't help but honestly feel that the Aion is a better L2K with respect to "what makes a Lamy a Lamy." 

I have to give a contrarian view here. I have the Safari/Al-Star, CP1, Aion, Accent and 2000 models.

• The Aion is the only model that I don’t care for. 
  • I dislike the ergonomics. The width of the body relative to the section just doesn’t do it for me, especially with the relatively slippery aluminium finish. 
  • The Lamy2000 has a very easily disassembled nib/feed. It’s just a matter of unscrewing the section and gently pushing on the tip of the nib. The nib and feed fall out and you can clean away. 
  • I dislike the look of the nib on the Aion. Horses for courses there. OTOH, the Lamy 2000 is my favourite hooded nib/feed in terms of appearance. 
  • The Lamy 2000 stands up extremely well to extended use. 

I am not a skeptic because I have owned one for a couple of years or more, and have used it a fair amount. The original M was much too broad and glassy smooth, so I put it aside for a while. Then I decided to give it another chance, so I bought an EF nib ($80 + postage from Germany) and tried again. The nib was okay, nowhere near extra fine but it has a little feedback and at least I could write with it. But after a while I put it aside again, this time for good, and if I can sell it (with the extra nib) I will. 

There is no doubt in my mind that it is a well-made and practical pen. My problem is I don't like the shape, especially the tapered section. It doesn't feel secure in my hand, and since my hands tend to be dry, it always feels to me like it's going to slip around or fall out of my hand if I don't grip it tightly. It may be built like a tank, but I don't need that, I'm retired and do all my writing at home. There are lots of pens I do enjoy writing with, it's too bad (for me) that this isn't one of them. 

Bought a 2000 fine used and it was too dry for me. Sold it but ended up buying another and have loved it ever since. Also bought the second edition of the Stainless one and the LE blue. Big fan here.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I liked my EF 2000 very much, except…

I use Diamine Registrars, and after a few fills my section began to display a ring. I didn’t feel like washing the snoot with each fill, so I passed it on. 

7 hours ago, maclink said:

I have to give a contrarian view here. I have the Safari/Al-Star, CP1, Aion, Accent and 2000 models.

• The Aion is the only model that I don’t care for. 
  • I dislike the ergonomics. The width of the body relative to the section just doesn’t do it for me, especially with the relatively slippery aluminium finish. 
  • The Lamy2000 has a very easily disassembled nib/feed. It’s just a matter of unscrewing the section and gently pushing on the tip of the nib. The nib and feed fall out and you can clean away. 
  • I dislike the look of the nib on the Aion. Horses for courses there. OTOH, the Lamy 2000 is my favourite hooded nib/feed in terms of appearance. 
  • The Lamy 2000 stands up extremely well to extended use. 

I'd say that from looking at online reviews and the like, there are a majority of people who would agree with you and not with me. However, the majority of my pens have been bigger pens for a long time, and I think that Lamy in general doesn't have a lot of good, wider pens for people who might feel that the taper on the Lamy 2000 is too small. But I like the Dialog 3, and even my smallest pens that I've used as daily pens (a 146 and #3776) have larger section widths compared to a lot of pens, and even those I eventually found a little on the small side. One of the main problems I have with the Safari, CP1, Studio, and others is how skinny they are. 

I do agree that the nib and feed disassembly in the L2K is very easy, but I'm not someone who would want to do that very often, and so I prefer the nib swapping feature on the Aion more than the nib disassembly feature on the L2K. I will also grant that for a hooded nib, the L2K is really nice in appearance, but is a hooded nib, nice as it is, enough for me? Skeptical. While I suppose the Aion nib looks are definitely Horses for Courses and all that, I will say that it came well tuned, and is very nicely stiff, if you are the sort that likes a stiff nib, in a way that other Lamy nibs are not. Sometimes a stiff nail of a nib is just right. On the other hand, I did switch mine out for a Gold B nib on the pen, which I think makes it more competitive with the L2K than just the pen without the gold nib. 

So, I think most of your points I don't necessarily disagree with, but I do have different preferences as far as ergonomics. However, I do have to question the L2K durability a little bit. At least when it comes to function, the L2K seems to have fine durability. But IMO, fountain pen durability is about more than just function. IMO, part of having long lasting products that hold up well over time is that their appearance and "feel" remains durable over time. Here I think objectively the Lamy 2000's Makrolon doesn't hold up as well as some other resins or aluminum. I think one could make an argument that the L2K is durable over harsh conditions of impact (I haven't seen this explicitly compared and tested versus PMMA resin, Aluminum, or lacquered brass pens), but I think it's clear to me that pens with a good, dark PMMA resin or "Precious Resin" as well as aluminum bodied pens preserve their original appearance at least a little better over time in normal wear and tear, particularly if there is no posting wear of the cap. It seems to me that both matte finish PMMA resin pens and the Makrolon have a tendency to burnish under consistent use, whereas polished resin or brushed aluminum should retain its original surface finish characteristics better over time *unless* something scratches or impacts them. 

I suspect that the aluminum of the Aion is more likely to dent on impact than the L2K is to crack on impact, but the L2K seems more likely to suffer surface wear under normal conditions. And comparatively, I see the burnishing of the L2K and then look at my Montblanc pens with their resin that has retained its original appearance for years of constant use, and I can't help but consider that relevant. 

In the end though, given how famous the L2K is, I'll probably still end up picking one up for the collection simply because I'm silly like that, despite my skepticism. At that point, my skepticism will be resolved one way or the other. .