Calling All Lamy 2000 Skeptics (Current and Former)

Checklist

1 hour ago, Modus Ponens said:

Skeptic because a lot of the pen's appeal comes from marketing whether that's from Lamy's marketing department or from word of mouth like in this forum.

Are you a troll, or are you just behaving like one? Second post I've come across of yours today trying to wind people up.

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Checklist

• es9

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, Checklist said:

I pulled the trigger this week, and my 2000 in fine showed up yesterday from Goulet.  I've written about two and a half pages (front and back) so far, and I love this pen!  Based on my limited experience, the line width problem appears to have been solved; the line is similar in width to the Lamy steel fine I've used for years, just wetter.  Looks great, and very well made.  (In case anyone else is wondering, the disappearing piston knob seam is real.  I still can't see it knowing where it is.)  Absolutely no regrets in buying this pen; thanks to everyone for your advice!

Congrats! You will get years of enjoyment from the 2000.

I know some people have a negative view of this pen because it is so well liked. No amount of marketing can replace 60 years of usage though. If it was not very good, it would no longer be on sale. I can honestly say, if I was forced to get rid of all my pens but one, The L2000 would be the one I would continue to use. The feel in the hand, the ink flow, even the aesthetics are perfect for me. 

Enjoy!

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

You're right, it's the large, consistent fan base for the 2000 that even got me to consider it.  That many fountain pen nuts can't be wrong...

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

29 minutes ago, Checklist said:

You're right, it's the large, consistent fan base for the 2000 that even got me to consider it.  That many fountain pen nuts can't be wrong...

I suppose they could be, but odds are probably against it... :p

On 4/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, Checklist said:

I pulled the trigger this week, and my 2000 in fine showed up yesterday from Goulet.  I've written about two and a half pages (front and back) so far, and I love this pen!  Based on my limited experience, the line width problem appears to have been solved; the line is similar in width to the Lamy steel fine I've used for years, just wetter.  Looks great, and very well made.  (In case anyone else is wondering, the disappearing piston knob seam is real.  I still can't see it knowing where it is.)  Absolutely no regrets in buying this pen; thanks to everyone for your advice!

Congratulations!  My b-day is Saturday and I dropped more than a few hints about a 2k in fine.  We’ll see if I get to join the club!

Happy birthday!  And, in case your family just gives you the money and says, "Buy your own stupid pen," spend the extra money to get it from a reputable dealer (e.g., the Goulets) instead of Bezos' Behemoth.  They check the pens themselves to make sure they write well and aren't complete gushers.  I suspect that many or most of those recent buyers complaining about the width or the sweet spot bought their 2000 at some discount place because it was cheaper and, therefore, untested.

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

On 5/10/2021 at 5:52 PM, Checklist said:

... get it from a reputable dealer (e.g., the Goulets) instead of Bezos' Behemoth.  They check the pens themselves to make sure they write well and aren't complete gushers.

I never heard that on-line FP Stores tested every pen (or even every Lamy) for write quality and ink flow before they ship them.

They would have to fill the pen (converter, cartridge, etc.) to check flow (just dipping wouldn't do to test the feed) and then do a lot of cleaning to restore that "new pen" look.
Sounds expensive.

I believe it's a dip test, and it's by request.  I did request that they do so for mine.  Here's a screen shot from the Goulet site where that's listed as an option.

image.png.be3f893e42184e59e1a8a0c1b2ea77a6.png

19 minutes ago, Checklist said:

I believe it's a dip test, and it's by request.

So they don't test the pen's ink flow (cf. “aren't complete gushers”), since that is largely driven by the feed and its fit against the nib, and also influenced by whether there's a ink reservoir connected to the other end and how full the reservoir is, etc. much more so than the nib (slit).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, Karmachanic said:

Are you a troll, or are you just behaving like one? Second post I've come across of yours today trying to wind people up.

I am half-trolling; it's just my lame attempt to quell my need for more stationery. I actually own the L2K FP in several finishes, and the 0.5 and 0.7 MP (but they are all gifted to me, I can't bring myself to buy them with my own money).

They are okay. I am one of those pea and the princess types with impossible to please standards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 4:52 PM, Checklist said:

Happy birthday!  And, in case your family just gives you the money and says, "Buy your own stupid pen," spend the extra money to get it from a reputable dealer (e.g., the Goulets) instead of Bezos' Behemoth.  They check the pens themselves to make sure they write well and aren't complete gushers.  I suspect that many or most of those recent buyers complaining about the width or the sweet spot bought their 2000 at some discount place because it was cheaper and, therefore, untested.

Years back I saw a video where the Goulets said they DO NOT check every pen (so that screenshot above surprises me). When they received so many complaints about the nib on the L2k, they sat down and inspected all of their stock and only a few out of what was probably hundreds had an issue. They were actually impressed with the consistency and quality control of the L2k nib...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm an on-and-off skeptic. Currently not one. I love that it has no threads and that I can hold it in many different ways. I find it more comfortable than the tubular Parker 51 type.

The medium nib that is squared off is the biggest point of contention. I don't often like to write at its prescribed writing angle, but I compensate for this by using more lubricated inks (Pilot or Sailor, rather than my usual Pelikan), which helps the pen write at more shallow angles.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:35 PM, TgeekB said:

Congrats! You will get years of enjoyment from the 2000.

I know some people have a negative view of this pen because it is so well liked. No amount of marketing can replace 60 years of usage though. If it was not very good, it would no longer be on sale. I can honestly say, if I was forced to get rid of all my pens but one, The L2000 would be the one I would continue to use. The feel in the hand, the ink flow, even the aesthetics are perfect for me. 

Enjoy!

Yes.. I'm a big L2K fan.  A black Makrolon with a F nib is my current EDC and surprisingly, for me anyway, it's been as reliable as my MB145 that I was using before.  I use Montblanc Permanent Black Ink for work and the L2K has been absolutely reliable with it.  It writes immediately with steady and full ink flow every time, even after several days without use.  Can't say this about my Platinum 3776 M which tends to write a bit dry before coming up to full flow if not used for a few days.

I otherwise have two EF's and an OB.  Never really had a problem writing with them. :huh:

However, despite the impeccable tuning and smooth writing experience of the OB nib, the line has very little character and is quite broad (almost of a sharpie nature).  I'm therefore not a fan and will likely be switching that nib to a M.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so late to the party, but there are a couple things about the L2K that stand out to me but I don't think got covered. 

I now own two L2Ks, the most recent in BB. Aside from liking the shape, heft, line, capacity (yea piston filler), etc, etc, BUT the thing that makes this pen my daily writer is it's built like a tank.

My very first pen is an Aurora 88, that I love, but it couldn't stand up to the rigors of being an everyday writer. When It cracked and had to go in for repairs I was crushed. It came back fine, but it doesn't venture out for fear of getting hurt. 

My original L2K has over 10 years on it and has gone everywhere with me, it rides in my pocket, it gets dropped from time to time (cap on), I can leave it on my desk and not worry it being damaged by the keyboard or the headphone amp or the steel ruler or scissors, any of the other million things bumping around on my desk.

It still looks and works great. Here's a photo, have a look and you tell me which one is over 10 years old and which is two months old.

IMG_4103.jpeg

Je suis, ergo sum

---Tom Stoppard

6 minutes ago, bedlam said:

Sorry to be so late to the party, but there are a couple things about the L2K that stand out to me but I don't think got covered. 

I now own two L2Ks, the most recent in BB. Aside from liking the shape, heft, line, capacity (yea piston filler), etc, etc, BUT the thing that makes this pen my daily writer is it's built like a tank.

My very first pen is an Aurora 88, that I love, but it couldn't stand up to the rigors of being an everyday writer. When It cracked and had to go in for repairs I was crushed. It came back fine, but it doesn't venture out for fear of getting hurt. 

My original L2K has over 10 years on it and has gone everywhere with me, it rides in my pocket, it gets dropped from time to time (cap on), I can leave it on my desk and not worry it being damaged by the keyboard or the headphone amp or the steel ruler or scissors, any of the other million things bumping around on my desk.

It still looks and works great. Here's a photo, have a look and you tell me which one is over 10 years old and which is two months old.

IMG_4103.jpeg

The one on the bottom is the older one.

I want another one too, but I want the stainless steel version. They are just excellent pens. 

6 minutes ago, bedlam said:

you tell me which one is over 10 years old and which is two months old.

The top one is new.  Looks just like mine, so that's only way I know.

I had read a few posts and blogs mentioning the 2000's durability, but, by this point, it didn't matter.  I've learned that I take pretty good care of my pens, so it doesn't have to be a tank.  Doesn't hurt, though.

bottom one is the older one.

But I do get your point about its longevity and build quality.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

21 minutes ago, IThinkIHaveAProblem said:

bottom one is the older one.

The trick to finding out which one is older is that Lamy 2000 pens tend to get shiny as they age...  Awesome pens!!! 😍

16 minutes ago, carlos.q said:

The trick to finding out which one is older is that Lamy 2000 pens tend to get shiny as they age...  Awesome pens!!! 😍

yup.

and yup :)

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

17 hours ago, bedlam said:

It still looks and works great.

Great to hear.  My L2k F is one of my EDC's as well.  I've wondered how the slip cap stands up over time but your testimonial here is reassuring.