Calling All Lamy 2000 Skeptics (Current and Former)

Checklist

I'm thinking of getting a Lamy 2000, but I'm not sold on the design, particularly the "brushed Makrolon" look.  There are no nearby pen stores, so I'm stuck with pictures online, which can only show so much.  Are the striations as obvious as they look in pictures? 

More generally, what reasons do (or did) y'all have for being skeptical of the 2000?  Were they showstoppers?  Were they overblown?

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Checklist

• es9

• Glenn-SC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unabashed fan. They are a great pen. The striations, like everything else about the pen, are subtle. If you want gaudy, flashy, "look-at-me"-type design, move on, this pen isn't it. 

What it is: exceedingly comfortable, suitable for extended writing sessions, or just a quick note. Pop the cap and you are good to go. Holds a lot of ink. The nibs tend stubbish. The makrolon is tough, so they can take a beating and small dings tend to not show. Understated, as I said, so perfect for work/school type use. Easy to clean. Lamy are solid about replacement parts. Thing will last your lifetime, and if you look after it, probably your grandkids as well.

It's one shortcoming is it's ink window. It works, but only as an indicator that you are almost done.

There is a reason Lamy have been selling it since the 1960's...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

14 minutes ago, silverlifter said:

Unabashed fan. They are a great pen. The striations, like everything else about the pen, are subtle. If you want gaudy, flashy, "look-at-me"-type design, move on, this pen isn't it. 

What it is: exceedingly comfortable, suitable for extended writing sessions, or just a quick note. Pop the cap and you are good to go. Holds a lot of ink. The nibs tend stubbish. The makrolon is tough, so they can take a beating and small dings tend to not show. Understated, as I said, so perfect for work/school type use. Easy to clean. Lamy are solid about replacement parts. Thing will last your lifetime, and if you look after it, probably your grandkids as well.

It's one shortcoming is it's ink window. It works, but only as an indicator that you are almost done.

There is a reason Lamy have been selling it since the 1960's...

+1

Think Different

2 minutes ago, Checklist said:

More generally, what reasons do (or did) y'all have for being skeptical of the 2000?

I was skeptical about the testimonials from apparently ardent fans of the Lamy 2000, and not necessarily of the fountain pen model itself. I'm happy to accept, or assume, that they all praise and/or recommend the Lamy 2000 in good faith, but they (obviously and understandably) only see it from their own perspective, and speak from their own expectations and preferences, perhaps unwittingly presuming that those are representative of the majority of fountain pen users or the ‘average’ fountain pen enthusiast who stands ready to spend money on the hobby.

• I don't think a piston-filled pen is inherently superior to, say, a c/c-filled pen in functionality, product quality or refinement (in matters of the user's taste and cultivation), especially if a converter is supplied with the retail package of the latter to facilitate its use with bottled ink.
  • I don't think ‘wet’ ink flow and broad lines are inherently better than ‘controlled’ ink flow and narrow lines, especially when it comes to fine (including EF) nibs which better align with my use cases and preferences. ‘Controlled’ ink flow shows off shading from an ink more readily, limits the drying time and potential for smudging, and aids precision in the making of shapes (including when writing text in some language).
  • The Lamy 2000's EF nib, from what I've read and from personal experience, is likely to exhibit characteristics more attributable to an ‘architect's grind’, i.e. putting down broader horizontal or cross-strokes than vertical or downstrokes, is not a plus for me. Sure, it can add ‘character’; but then so can narrow stub-like nib grinds that put down narrower cross-strokes than downstrokes.
  • A European or ‘Western’ brand is not inherently better or more worth supporting than, say, a Japanese brand.

So, after filtering out all the not-inherently-better qualities, what does the Lamy 2000 really offer me over and above the competition?

Some would argue that it is Lamy's flagship model, and an iconic pen across the fountain pen landscape across all brands, more so than any Pelikan Souverän, Sailor Profit or Aurora Ottantotto model. OK, that's fine, I can buy a Lamy 2000 just for that, just for the hell of it, without expecting it to be a better pen than the rest — and it isn't, in my opinion, now that I own two (but used only one, the blue Bauhaus limited edition).

Some would argue that the Lamy 2000 Makrolon offers great value-for-money as a gold-nibbed pen model of renown for ~US$100 when deeply discounted. OK, I'll agree it puts the pen in good standing in the hobbyist market; but then the gold-nibbed Platinum #3776 Century is (or, at least, was) cheaper with an MSRP of ¥10,000+tax but often sold for as low as ¥6,500–¥7,000 (inc. tax). My gold-nibbed Sailor Professional Gear Slim ‘Ocean’ cost me less than US$100 (delivered to Australia). Is the Lamy 2000 Makrolon objectively a better pen, or writes better, than my Sailor PGS ‘Ocean’? I wouldn't say so.

The slip cap on the Lamy 2000 does a remarkably good job of preventing ink evaporation when the pen is capped, but not quite in the class of the screw-capped Platinum #3776 Century models with the Slip and Seal mechanism, and in fact the Lamy 2000 does not surpass the slip-/snap-capped Platinum Preppy and Plaisir pens in that regard, even though those pens has MSRPs that are at least an order of magnitude cheaper.

I don't doubt the Lamy 2000 is a good pen in its own right; but it certainly isn't the best thing since sliced bread, either at the MSRP in its home market, or at its lowest street price compared to what else is on offer in the global market.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, Checklist said:

Are the striations as obvious as they look in pictures? 

In my view, the striations are nice and subtle.  Moreover, they wear down ever so slightly as you use the pen, giving the pen a gentle patina.  I also have the matching pencil, which looks terrific.  The Makrolon material feels really nice in the hand. 

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to pens, but to me the Lamy 2000 Makrolon is about as good as it gets, when it comes to understated piston fillers on the market today.  Having read feed-back on this forum that the Lamy 2000 nibs are a touch broader than the standard Lamy nibs, I bought mine with an EF nib (when I normally write with an F nib).  That turned out to be good advice, because the Lamy 2000 EF is perfect for me.

All in all, I think that the Lamy 2000 is an excellent choice, if you're looking for a quality piston filler with an understated look.

It's off the subject, but I wish that Lamy would make a Makrolon cartridge filler, perhaps with Z55 nib.  I would race out and buy that, if ever it became available.  I find cartridge fillers more versatile and easier to clean than piston fillers, but each to their own.

I had mild reservations mostly because I'd never groped one, or any other Lamy for that matter.  Was the design all looks or was it comfortable?  How are the materials--is the plastic as slippery as some have said?  Are they reliable?

Since I've not had mine long I'm a bit limited in how much I can really say about it.  So far I consider the design to be utilitarian (in a good way), comfortable and light.  The Makralon might be slightly less grippy than acrylic of celluloid, though not by much.  It's also pretty easy to unscrew the section and drop out the nib/feed assembly (careful not to lose that washer with the nubs the cap clicks onto); no clue about disassembling the piston though.

Visually, I consider it to have about the same sort of non-frilly, purpose-built look as my Rotring Newton.  The brushed finish is about the same as your typical brushed metal surface, like you'd get from about 120 grit sandpaper; you can make out the texture up close, like when you're holding it, and it just looks matte from farther away.

And I didn't have the heart to tell her why.
And there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye.

3 hours ago, Checklist said:

, what reasons do (or did) y'all have for being skeptical of the 2000? 

i did not like the L2K at all, mainly for the looks and seemingly slippery looking section.

Once I handled the pen and saw it in person, I understood why the pen is a classic icon: timeless design with superb execution and performance is enduring. 

I was converted and greatly enjoy an EF version. The only caution I've read but not experienced myself is the nib can have a sweet spot that may take some getting used to. I have no problems there except for a preference for easier cleaning pens: c/c or plunger. Piston cleaning is just tiresome as I never deep clean and stick to low saturated inks

If you have any interest in a L2K, i think it is a keeper and well valued investment

I am having a love hate relation with the Lamy 2000.

I love the design ... to me there is nothing better. Timeless piece, great measurements, sustainable finish and the craftsmanship of this mass produced pen is off the charts. 

Sometimes i “hate” how light the pen is. Sometimes I love a bit more weight. I am not a real fan of piston fillers since the cleaning process is always a bit more time consuming (although the 2000 is really easy to dissassemble (saves time when cleaning))

I made a photo that shows the way te patina develops. 

Brand new one vs intensively used old one. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bys34KmC8pf/?igshid=bvmh10x7qi0j

Mine is not a love/hate thing, more like I would want it to work for me but it doesn't because of the design. I kept one inked for a couple of years as I tried to get familiar with but. Sadly, no go. The strong taper towards the nib makes it awkward to use if you like to grip pens close to the nib. Combine this with naturally sweaty/oily hands and you get a combo that is not suited for longer writing sessions. So yeah, the L2K makes my hand tire way faster than say, a Pelikan M200 etc. as I subconsciously feel that I need to grip the pen harder. Already gave one modern one away to my mother, kept a vintage (pre 1970) one as a collectable though... that unfortunately developed a crack in the section.

So, if you haven't tried one I highly recommend that you do before making the decision to buy one.

12 hours ago, Checklist said:

I'm thinking of getting a Lamy 2000, but I'm not sold on the design, particularly the "brushed Makrolon" look.  There are no nearby pen stores, so I'm stuck with pictures online, which can only show so much.  Are the striations as obvious as they look in pictures? 

More generally, what reasons do (or did) y'all have for being skeptical of the 2000?  Were they showstoppers?  Were they overblown?

IMHO, one of the top three pens ever designed and produced. If you don't like it, it's very simple: buy something you like. There is no obligation to own one, to like it or to use it.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

For me the Al Star is overall superior and thus no attraction. Plus, it appears folks are often complaining about them for one reason or another. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I wasn´t quite sure if I would like the L2K before I bought mine, so I went to a store and tried one. Although I liked the looks of the Makrolon ones, I really fell for the brushed steel L2K. I also like that it is a lot heavier than its Makrolon siblings which may be a no-go for other fountain pen users. For me, it had to be a B-nib which lays down a really thick line, even by the Pelikan standards I am used to. It offers sufficient grip, cool understated design, nice handling and it being a piston filler is exactly to my liking.

47 minutes ago, Estycollector said:

For me the Al Star is overall superior and thus no attraction. Plus, it appears folks are often complaining about them for one reason or another. 

Why?  Because the Al-Star is c/c?  Cheaper?  More true to Bauhaus design principles as you understand them?  

But before you answer, does it even matter if the Al-Star is “better “?  

I have several Al-Stars and several L2Ks.  They’re both well designed pens i enjoy.  One pen being good does not preclude another pen from being good.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  The general sense I'm getting is that, if you like the looks, then the 2000 is worth it.  Whether or not I enjoy how it looks is something I'll be obsessing over more.

14 hours ago, silverlifter said:

If you want gaudy, flashy, "look-at-me"-type design, move on, this pen isn't it.

I'm not generally a fan of "flashy" pens.  Of those I already have, I like the looks of my Parker 51, 61, and Falcon, and my Studio the best; hard to pick a favorite, but it might be the Parker 61 or Falcon, depending on the day.  All are generally understated without looking industrial, which is an impression I had been getting with the 2000.  Maybe this will help give y'all an idea of the designs I like.

10 hours ago, peroride said:

i did not like the L2K at all, mainly for the looks and seemingly slippery looking section.

Once I handled the pen and saw it in person, I understood why the pen is a classic icon: timeless design with superb execution and performance is enduring. 

If you have any interest in a L2K, i think it is a keeper and well valued investment

In a nutshell, this is what I tend to hear.  Just a little nervous about forking over $200 without being totally sold on the aesthetics.

4 hours ago, lucraak said:

I made a photo that shows the way te patina develops. 

Brand new one vs intensively used old one. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bys34KmC8pf/?igshid=bvmh10x7qi0j

Thanks, lucraak.  I hadn't seen many pictures of a 2000 with some mileage on it.  I really like how it "ages"; makes me want it more, if I actually use it regularly, along with my 8 other pens.  How long did it take to get that way?

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

2 hours ago, gyasko said:

Why?  Because the Al-Star is c/c?  Cheaper?  More true to Bauhaus design principles as you understand them?  

But before you answer, does it even matter if the Al-Star is “better “?  

I have several Al-Stars and several L2Ks.  They’re both well designed pens i enjoy.  One pen being good does not preclude another pen from being good.

My comments were Only to relate to what I perceive the OP was asking, add to provide some contrast to previous posts.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

My trajectory has been a bit different.

It was a "step up" pen for me back around 2012, and I was excited to get it. I had mixed feelings once I started using it-at the time I found the section was kind of weirdly uncomfortable for me, and the nib was good but didn't blow me away. At the same time, I loved everything about the barrel-how it felt in my hand, how the texture was just perfect, and the fact that the piston seam is virtually invisible until you screw it out.

The section cracked on it, and I didn't rush to send it off for repair. After repair, it happened again not too long after, and it got put away and forgotten until recently.

I decided to have it fixed, but then found out that the "lifetime" warranty was no longer good. I initially planned to not have it fixed, but have decided to do it-I just need to get around to mailing it.

A month or two back, though, I decided to give another one a try, this time in B. For whatever reason, I find it extremely comfortable to use now-maybe it's just 9 years of using fountain pens finally catching up to me. The B nib is nice, juicy, and pleasant to use.

So, count me once again as a fan.

BTW, the section fortunately was redesigned and I understand it no longer is crack-prone.

The hidden nib makes it easy to hold the 2000 at the wrong angle, causing skipping.  This is more problematic with a broad nib than a fine.  Aside from that they're brilliantly comfortable to write with and I use one most days.

I like the Lamy 2000 pen, but the nibs seem flimsy and liable to get out of alignment.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I owned two 2000s.

One fitted with a F nib and another with an EF.

I found the nib unsatisfying to use and didn't enjoy the weirdness that I felt when experiencing it's architect's grind.

However, the nib did work well and I did not notice any odd sweet-spot.

I also found the pen's shape mildly comfortable; it could be used for a fair period of time, but quite frankly I prefer the feel of a traditional pen that has a non-existent step and no metal decorations near the the section, etc.

You should try the pen out, because I am pickier than most when it comes to fountain pen preferences.

This has been discussed previously.

I have two 2000s, the Makrolon an the stainless steel version.

The Makronlon versionwrites semi-drily and the nib has enough of a "sweet spot" to to make it not a "go to" pen".

The size and weight are fine and I don't seem to lose my grip on the taper of the Section.

The stainless version is just too heavy for me to use comfortably for a long time.  It always seems about to "get away" from my grip.

The weight is, again, just enough to make it not a "go to" pen".

I still have them both but they usually sit unused until threads like this appear and I think that I aught to give them another chance, I do ink then up, I find that neither they nor I have changed, they get emptied then cleaned, and then they go back to sitting in the pen case.