Franklin Christoph 20/P20 cap - love it or hate it?

MABuckeye

I have a couple of P20 Franklin Christoph pens and I really like them.  Nice size, great for carry, etc.   I'm not sure about the cap though - I've had them disconnect a couple of times when I didn't want them to and dropped the pen body - damaging the nib on one drop.  What are your thoughts on this capping style and have you had any issues?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MABuckeye

• JayHomeBody

• jandrew

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 20 and a 20p and rather like the friction cap. It did take a bit to get used to how firmly to cap or post, but no problems. My 20p rides in a pen loop on a pocket-sized notebook cover and never comes uncapped in my bag. At first, occasionally, when trying to remove it from the (tight) penloop just grabbing the cap, it would separate if I didn't cap it firmly enough ... now I cap it more firmly (and usually push the pen up and out of the penloop from the bottom of the body just to be safe).

The Marietta (20) gets used a lot in my Penwell Traveler (recent acquisition) on my lapboard/lapdesk --- when capped firmly, I need to use a thumb to help separate the pen from the cap, as pulling just the pen-body will pull the whole capped pen out of the Penwell. So, in use I just put it lightly in the cap in the Penwell when pausing, and then give it a firm push before folding the Penwell down and putting the lapboard away beside my chair (it isn't going to detach from the cap even with serious shaking or knocking of the lapboard).

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

well, I did already say I love this pen, in particular due to the lack of threads, I have the full size 20.

No, I've never had problems with the cap, although I'm usually very careful with my pens anyway, I usually always keep them in a pen holder, even when in my jacket pocket.

The 20p is my primary daily user. Once I got comfortable with how much pressure is needed to secure the cap, I haven’t had any issues. 

On 12/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, twin63 said:

The 20p is my primary daily user. Once I got comfortable with how much pressure is needed to secure the cap, I haven’t had any issues. 

Once I learned to secure the cap more surely, I haven't had an issue with it coming apart unexpectedly....  thanks!

No real issues, except when I forget that it’s a slip cap and try to unscrew it. Even then, since I use it as a C/C, no disaster. It’s generally transported in a 5-pen pen roll, so there’s really no chance for it to come uncapped 

14 hours ago, CatHerder said:

No real issues, except when I forget that it’s a slip cap and try to unscrew it. Even then, since I use it as a C/C, no disaster. It’s generally transported in a 5-pen pen roll, so there’s really no chance for it to come uncapped 

I just refill a short cartridge in mine to avoid unscrewing the top when dropper filled.  Maya Blue and I love it 

On 12/19/2020 at 11:15 AM, jandrew said:

The Marietta (20) gets used a lot in my Penwell Traveler (recent acquisition) on my lapboard/lapdesk --- 

I just spent way to much time drooling over that website. 

What kind of lapboard do you use? Pics?

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!

8 minutes ago, JayHomeBody said:

I just spent way to much time drooling over that website. 

What kind of lapboard do you use? Pics?

I did make a short post a few days ago regarding the penwell on the lapboard.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

3 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I did make a short post a few days ago regarding the penwell on the lapboard.

I checked it out! Super cool! 💙

I am the tarot reading, bookworm, whiskey drinking, witchcraft practicing, old fashioned writing, aunt Beasty in my family and I love it. Tarot readings for sale or trade, especially ink as I've lost all of my pen stuff from a bad burglary last year. And I need penpals! Anyone interested, please PM me!