Hi from Malaysia

caramelc4t

Glad to see that the forum's back up and running!

I remember spilling ink all over the desk (and the chair and myself) when I was a kid playing around with an old fountain pen of my dad's. It was only recently that I've gotten completely hooked after a friend showed me how convenient and fun modern fountain pens are. I've always loved stationery and have pretty good handwriting - it's just so personally satisfying to look at a page after I'm done and everything from the lines and the color of the ink looks great.

Now I have a few relatively cheap but solid workhorse pens (and perhaps way too many inks) but am looking to branch out to more pens like flex nibs, fude, italic - would love to hear your recommendations on these!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madeline

• caramelc4t

• cnnlim

• mitto

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome caramelc4t!  I think you will find it to be an exciting adventure to explore the effects of italic and flex nibs.  I have a couple nibs that were ground to cursive italic and I love those, (and also one nib to which some "flex" was added--an adaptation that some may find too extreme but I find it's one of my favorite pens :-)    Related to this are the oblique nibs, which produce some very nice line variation, too.  The problem soon becomes how to limit one's acquisitions!  It is indeed satisfying to look back at one's handwriting to see those interesting (or strange! or unexpected!) results.

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Madeline Are there any specific brands you'd recommend for flex or oblique nibs? I recall the Noodler's Ahab or Konrad for flex but I've also heard they can be pretty fiddly to get writing. 

The vintage Esterbrook fountain pens have screw-in nibs which are interchangeable. They made oblique nibs which they labeled as "Relief" nibs, and they also made some italic and some flexible nibs (but those last two types might be more difficult to find). Richard Binder has a wonderful chart listing them all:
http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/renew_point.htm

When it comes to pens with flexible nibs, my favorites are the vintage fountain pens like Pelikan and Swan. I also love my modern, steel-nib Pelikan which had flex added to it by a nibmeister.  I've been tempted but have not yet tried Noodler's Ahab.  There are a lot of possibilities out there!  :-)

Moderation in everything, including moderation.

--Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

Hi Caramelc4t,

Welcome to the club. I had tried Noodlers Ahab flex nib but it nothing close to a vintage flex nib which I love. I don't know which part of Malaysia you are from but I had some luck few years back picking up a Parker Vacumatic with semi-flex nib at a vintage store in Amcorp Mall Pertaling Jaya. I also know there is a watch store near Penang Komtar that carries old pens. You may want to try to check it out there.

Welcome to FPN! I tried an Ahab, but wasn't at all impressed - not that much flex and blobbed ink out. Then I got a vintage flex pen and it was a completely different story. Some people recommend Fountain Pen Revolution for flex nibs. I haven't tried them, but looked at the website and it seemed pretty affordable.

💌✍️ Snail mail rocks! 📬 🐌
I am currently on hiatus (too inconsistent)
but I admire those who do!