Mabie todd Swan overfeed pen

shalitha33

While few weeks back waiting for FPN to come online , ended up buying this swan over feed pen on ebay.  I ended up getting out bided  on the cheaper pen so ended up going with the next on . I am glad I did that :). 

1084415447_IMG_20201217_153828(1).thumb.jpg.193324f81fe6ea46b23eee758d971bc1.jpg

Hard rubber still have the black shine on it and imprint too seems to be all there. Model number Is shown as 4670.

1743308090_IMG_20201217_153741(1).thumb.jpg.b812b1a3813321ca082c9de44a515a6e.jpg

I haven't attempted to fill it or remove the plug. it looks to be all there as far as i am aware of.

IMG_20201217_153855.thumb.jpg.9d219f64d613b08c544bc369804a1d48.jpg

I will try to see if I can write with it at some point of time. it does have a few minor scratches on the section but overall looks to be in nice condition.  

IMG_20201217_153913.thumb.jpg.22a5878bbc12f7973c8e887ea21f9da8.jpg

Pen did come with the box and paperwork. but I'm not sure if they are matching this pen. One of them had a stamp with a date displayed as 20 July 1926.

IMG_20201217_154453.thumb.jpg.cbd94fab6d74d466db2ad72e84df94b1.jpg

IMG_20201217_154140.thumb.jpg.3196ac8ea638058d9d37736435f7817f.jpg

IMG_20201217_153828.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• shalitha33

• Schaumburg_Swan

• Tinjapan

Lovely example.  You can unscrew the section the normal way to check out the internal long wires.  The plugs usually pull out fairly easily.  In case you have not seen it before, and because this software upgrade makes uploads so much better, here is a cool vintage ad for the plug feed.1030374946_Swanplugfeed4500Adc1901.jpg.56c964d4294ace54d61e2ac95a148545.jpg

Thank you for the info :) Yes it has a broad nib marked as broad point (I think). Overfeed covers the text a bit. Managed to easily pull out the cable and the plug. its much longer than i thought. possibly extending all the way through the barrel?

IMG_20201217_174140 (1).jpg

Based on the imprint on the pen i'm sure its not the original box or the paper work. 

IMG_20201217_174535 (1).jpg

capping- uncapping this pen almost feels like a modern pen. Solidly built.

Edited by shalitha33

That is an absolutely pristine example The section scratch could be easily cleaned up, but the rest is so perfect that it really does not detract from the pen.  The imprint and plug feed place this about 1900-1907.   The nib might not have a number on it at all on this particular model of pen.

Very nice!

Great pen!

You can find it in the 1908 catalogue (page 16) here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ROf7iu102CJ3pjsEFSFI1H5oI_QCRMG6

Btw: more MT recources:

https://pencollectorsofamerica.org/reference-library/mabie-todd/

As others said it has a #3 short nib broad, today we would call it a 0.9mm (or so) cursive italic!

If well adjusted some of the finest nibs ever imo!

Gratulations

Jens

Edited by Schaumburg_Swan

Thank you for the info and the links : )

Just wondering if any of you have the swan pump filler as illustrated on catalogue?  It would be a really interesting piece of equipment to see. I can imagine that filling can go really badly from time to time. though.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, shalitha33 said:

Thank you for the info and the links : )

Just wondering if any of you have the swan pump filler as illustrated on catalogue?  It would be a really interesting piece of equipment to see. I can imagine that filling can go really badly from time to time. though.

Thanks again.

Hi,

sorry, I own only eyedroppers from the normal line (3xxx series). No plug fillers.

Anyway, You still fill the pen using a syringe...

Best

Jens

The wires on the plug fill surprisingly guide the ink in rather than obstruct the channel.  It works quite well for filling. Still have to go a bit slower than a standard dropper fill where you can squirt as fast as you want. 

Was wondering if any of you had this as mentioned on the catalogue you linked before. Would love to see one in action. "Will fill or clean any Fountain Pen" I guess would mean any filling system and not just the plug fill. Although I would assume it is valid for only swan/ Mabie todd pens of that era.

Captureswan.PNG.0242137759edcd9dc9a6ce83428016ce.PNG

Oohhh!  I thought you meant the plug feed.  I have not seen one. I wonder if any exist, if they would even be recognized as anything other than an eyedropper with a strange side part.

• 7 months later...