If You Could Choose Only Four Pens...

Dedalus4

In no particular order:

-Lamy 2k

-Pelikan M805 or M815

-Waterman Le Man 100

-Pilot Capless

if there is some space left i'd throw in some TWSBI 580 as well :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dedalus4

• NumberSix

• Manofadventure

• rkesey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MB 139 OB

MB 138 OM

MB 136 OF

Conid Kingsize Titanium CI 0.6

If a kind benefactor is paying.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Waterman 52 red ripple with super flex nib
Pelikan 400NN tortoise, vintage, flex nib
Nakaya Decapod fine nib
Edison Pearlette  fine nib

It would be just three Pelikans M200, M400 - perhaps M800. Maybe a Cleo Skribant Classic. (All modern except one M200 from 1987)

Edited by shostakovich
additional info

On 12/27/2020 at 3:51 PM, Manofadventure said:

Here's what I would recommend and bear in mind that these are all vintage options :-

1. Soennecken from 1930s onwards
  2. Waterman safety pen - a model 12s/15/42/44/46
  3. Any other safety pen - Soennecken/ Mont Blanc Simplo/ Astoria/ Aurora
  4. Any Waterman eyedropper - model 12/14/16/17/ 71 1/2
  5. Mont Blanc Meisterstuck before 1962 with the telescoping brass piston
  6. Pelikan 400 model from 1950s
  7. Sheaffer Balance Lifetime 875/1000
  8. Any Sheaffer with a Lifetime Feathertouch nib
  9. Lamy 27e or Artus 99
  10. Parker 51

Amongst modern day options, you can only do worse than a Waterman Charleston or a Waterman Carene or a Pilot Custom 823. If you do want a piston filler, you can go with a Kanwrite Heritage with a 14k gold nib and order it from www.kanpurwriters.com.

And if you want the most comfortable workhorse pens for long writing sessions, you can go in the direction of Indian ebonite eyedroppers, all of which are remarkable. It will be easiest for you to order them from www.rangapens.com or www.asapens.in.

To my earlier lists, I also add the Wahl Eversharp Doric with either a #5 or #7 or #9 adjustable nib.

It's a bit late for me to chime in, and a bit late for me to contemplate limiting myself to four pens.  Plus, I'm temperamentally inclined to cheat, so I'm going to give two lists of four, one of pens that are no longer made (I won't quibble over where "vintage" starts and ends) and one of pens that are still made.  But if I could bestir myself to sell off all my other pens (and get reasonable prices for them), I would not be too unhappy with either of these lists.  First, no longer made.

1. Pilot Murex
  2. Parker 180
  3. Parker Vacumatic
  4. Sheaffer Balance

And for pens that are still made:

1. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (I'd be equally happy with the 91).
  2. Namiki (Pilot) Falcon.  I think it's sold as the "Elabo", now.
  3. Platinum 3776 Century.
  4. Pilot Capless Decimo.

You may notice a certain brand preference.  Fortunately, although I no longer feel any urgency about acquiring new pens, I also feel no strong inclination to thin the herd.  And if I did, I would still keep more than four, or even eight.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

out of left field:

Write with your current pens for a little while.
Then imagine the perfect pen for you, and have your third pen custom made by a local pen maker.

Get Jowo threading done so you can get a variety of nibs that some nib meisters are customizing, or a Flexible Nib Factory housing for a variety of the manufacturered nibs.

Use what you learned from all three to help you decide your fourth.

I don't know why you would limit yourself. It sounds more like your favorite four pens. So here goes:

1/ Danish Mont Blanc No.20

2/Moore L82 BCHR

3/Waterman 14 MHR

4/Parker 75

These are all wonderful writers which are all very different.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how I feel it today:

Parker 51 Aero

Parker 65 Gold Stratus

Parker 75 Sterling Silver

Parker Duofold Centennial Int.

All the best is only beginning now...

Hi all,

In no particular order:

Parker 51 Aerometric 

Pelikan M600

Esterbrook Estie 

Platinum 3776 Century 

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

My top four pens are:

• Parker 51 aerometric demi F
  • Sailor 1911S M
  • Parker Victory Mk 1 semi-flexible F
  • Waterman Man 100 Opera EF

But for the range of writing experiences I enjoy and the range of writing tasks I have, I would not want to be without any of my top ten pens.

• 2 weeks later...

- Pilot 823

- My 3 Conids with multiple nibs to swap around.

As long as I have these 4, everything else is just icing on a already near perfect cake.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

On 12/17/2020 at 11:33 PM, linkoiram said:

Here's two recommendations

Aurora 88 vintage piston filler if you want vintage, I have one on the way so I can't attest directly but plenty of people like this one. 

Lamy 2000, a classic, and for me the most well made pen I have, durable, classy looking, consistent writer, reasonable price for the build quality. 

Parker 51 is my other favorite, I use these pens most often. Love the look and they are also consistent writers, though many of them require some work to get writing to my satisfaction IME. 

The Aurora 88 piston filler, vintage (slim) or modern ('big') are both contenders in my top 4. The vintage can be picked up on eBay Italia for well under 100EUR; I prefer the 88P to the first 88. The big model is quite expensive (MB like).

Other pens in my top 4:

- Pilot VP

- Pelikan M600

- Franklin Christoph 20 (Marietta) (bc of the SIG medium nib)

Ask me again tomorrow and the list may look slightly different...😉

- Parker 45 Flighter w/ Made in England 14k M nib

- Parker 51 Aerometric w/ B nib

(Both of the above are tuned for fine reverse writing)

- Platinum Higo Zogan w/ F nib (1970)

- TWSBI Vac 700r Iris w/ Stub nib

Here's another thought, a Pelikan 400NN Tortoise with the full complement of screw in nib units, encompassing every nib type, ever made for the pen.