If You Could Choose Only Four Pens...

Dedalus4

13 hours ago, txomsy said:

I would bet that many people here would advice you to get a Pelikan piston filler. There's just no way to go wrong with that.

I resemble that remark! ;)

And, yes, you can't go wrong there. Cult Pens has many standard M4xx for around $225 (price excluding VAT) and the slightly larger M6xx start around $260 for standard colors, well within your price target.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dedalus4

• NumberSix

• Manofadventure

• rkesey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I first got interested, I focused on inexpensive Esterbrook pens that I could learn to restore, a Lamy Al Star, a couple Parker 51's, a #84 Conway Stewart, and lastly a Sheaffer Crest, as I said before. Unlike many here, I never felt the need to accure dozens of pens or pay much. 

Over time after carrying a FP everyday I sort of got into the history of brands and types. Having one or two very good examples was more important than several. 

There is something to be learned by using one pen for several days or weeks and using for letter writing and whatever one chooses. 

Carrying vintage pens can be tricky if they are prone to leaking making a modern pen like the Lamy Al Star more practical. 

If you are the type that wants to keep your pen pristine and are concerned about scratching them by carrying them daily, then get something you wouldn't mind dropping, but that still performs well like a Wing Sung 601 or Lamy Safari/Vista. These perform well and cost around $20. 

If you want to have some duplicity, a Parker ball point with a gel refill is quite useful paired with your favorite FP. 

If you need a good pencil, vintage Esterbrook and Autopoint are reliable and can be paired with the Parker BP and FP. 

Part of the answer is to determine need. What do you plan to accomplish and how often. For example, when I fill out medical forms I need black gel pen and not the Waterman Serenity Blue that I use in my FP's. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Here are my suggestions. I've recommended something German, something Japanese and something vintage. I think it would be worthwhile considering something Italian too - but I do not have enough experience of the top Italian flagships. So I'm thinking top end German, top end Japanese, good UK or US Vintage - and a top end Italian. 

1/ Montblanc 146, 149 (depending upon hand size), Writer's Edition or a Pelikan Souveran.

Having handled both MontbBlancs and Pelikans, I did not feel that there was an awful lot lot of difference between the two - it really comes down to which one sits best in your hand and what your pocket will pay for. The good news is that you can buy these brands second hand and they can work just as well. Just make sure you have a reputable dealer. (lots of MB fakes out there on auction websites).

2/ An urushu/mak-e pen from Pilot/Nakaya/Sailor/A N Other

It comes down to  persoanl choice when it comes to nib sizes and so on. There are slight differences between the nibs of these three brands, but they all write well enough. Broads tend to be more like "smooth" Western nibs. Mediums and fines feel more like pencils - they grip the paper. These pens are beautiful objects and will inspire you to keep on writing. They are expensive though. It is well worth visiting a pens show, or a pen club to see and try them out. 

3/ A vintage Parker is a good choice. Certainly the Parker 51's and older duofolds are nice pens - if you can find one in good condition. I'm not a patient tinkerer, so I'm happy to pay more for a reconditioned one that "just works". I'm sure there are other excelent vintage brands out there - if you want "just one" vintage pen then the Parker Duofold or parker 51 make excellent candidates. I'm sure other members can recommend other top vintage pens to consider.

This depends what your do with your pens. Are you a writer? a student? in the academic field? do you want pens for your everyday notes taking or journaling? signature? ... 

If you are doing a lot of writing, finding the right pens might take some time and you will probably have to try quite a few pens before your are happy with one or two or three... 

As for an everyday carry, Lamy 2000, either in makrolone or in steel depending of your tastes and how you feel about weight, is a pen of choice. If steel nib is an option, I've been carying along a Twsbi 580AL (i.e. with the aluminuim grip section) for several years and I find the pen quite enjoyable. Both are piston fuller, c/c fillers might be more convenient depending of your activities.

Last but not least: judging a fountain pen should always pay attention to durability (Twisbi are excellent pens, but I fear the "regular" models will not last very long; the same can be said about Platinum Preppy). Some excellent pens will quickly deteriotate (even in the higher priced pens; I've had trouble with the finish of two of my three Visconti devices, one BP and one pencil) and will not be around in 10 years. 

Hope this helps a little.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

1. Parker 51.

2. Sheaffer with a diamond inlaid nib.

3. One of the Japanese big three.

4. Pelikan piston filler, either modern or vintage.

Another approach is to buy 24 pens over the next year and a half and the decide which four, err six, no wait eight, you're going to keep, and make the determination not to purchase more. That should last for about three months, because by then your criteria will have changed. So you'll dispose of some of the older ones to make way for the newer - generally more expensive - pens. Then .......

Add lightness and simplicate.

26 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Another approach is to buy 24 pens over the next year and a half and the decide which four, err six, no wait eight, you're going to keep, and make the determination not to purchase more. That should last for about three months, because by then your criteria will have changed. So you'll dispose of some of the older ones to make way for the newer - generally more expensive - pens. Then .......

And then you'll miss some of the ones you got rid of and will end up getting replacements for them. 

Or so I hear. . .😏

The Safaris "which in my mind don't count" really blows the gaff on your idea of only four pens, doesn't it? Because it'll become

"The parker 51s that don't count" because you picked them up at junk shops

"The Pelikan m400 that doesn't count" because you're only trying it out

"The TWSBIs that don't count" because they're cheapies compared to the Hakase and Nakaya...

Gotcha!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

2 minutes ago, amk said:

"The TWSBIs that don't count" because they're cheapies compared to the Hakase and Nakaya...

I was watching a Gourmet Pens review the other day, and she was showing a Rose Gold TWSBI 580. 

She referred to it at one point as a "good starter pen". 

It costs $85. 

😆 just goes to show how one's perspective shifts.

I don't think I could just have 4 pens and be happy in this hobby. Maybe I could decide on four pens from each brand...

Nah I don't think I could do that either, I probably couldn't decide on which 4 Pelikan 800's to keep! 🤣

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

BTW, I want to thank OP for starting this topic. It's been a thought-provoking and entertaining discussion, and I hope it continues to be so. :)

If I only had to choose four pens out of those I own, they would probably be:

Wing sung 618 for work

Ranga model 4c eyedropper

Faber Castell e-motion

Delike pen with a small vintage nib

Honourable mention to Lamy 2000 but not super comfortable for me. 

Everyone, I can't tell you how helpful--and humorous--your responses have been to read through. I knew from the outset that it wouldn't really be possible to satisfactorily answer what I was asking, but your comments have been wonderful. I can't thank you enough for your time.

Based on the trend-line in this thread, I'm going to explore procuring a vintage Pelikan/Parker/Esterbrook and then perhaps a modern Pelikan or Sailor. But then again...

Ha--if I've learned anything here, I've learned that my plan for only 4 pens is doomed to fail.

Once again, thanks to all. 😃

22 hours ago, silverlifter said:

No recommendations, only advice:

To get to only four, you will probably end up buying at least two dozen... The sooner you accept that, the quicker you'll get to where you are going. 😛

This sounds right.

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I think we finally found the answer!!!

1 hour ago, NumberSix said:

BTW, I want to thank OP for starting this topic. It's been a thought-provoking and entertaining discussion, and I hope it continues to be so. :)

It's been my pleasure--literally!

On 12/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Dedalus4 said:
I know how I react to hobbies--I go down the rabbit hole REALLY fast. So a few weeks ago when I finally got around to researching fountain pens, I promised I'd limit myself to four well-made, quality pens. If, a few months from now, I'm still reading about, using, and obsessing over fountain pens, maybe I'll add another one, or two, or... Well, you get the idea.

I already have:

--Esterbrook Estie in Cobalt Gold, M nib (because it's gorgeous)

--Pilot Custom 742, FA nib (because I want to try flex writing; on its way from Japan)

--Some cheaper Safaris and Jinhaos that in my mind don't count 😃

So my question for you: which should be my other two fountain pens?

I anticipate a number of you have already objected that it ultimately comes down to personal taste and aesthetics, and I realize that's true. But if it were some generic guy--me--what would be a nice variety of pens to have?

I'd like at least one of them to qualify as an everyday carry and to have a gold nib. I'd also be open to a demonstrator and/or a pocket pen, though I find myself gravitating toward larger pens.

I MAY be getting a gift card to Franklin-Christoph for Christmas, which could ultimately factor into my decision. I also can't see myself spending more than $300 on any one pen.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Here's two recommendations

Aurora 88 vintage piston filler if you want vintage, I have one on the way so I can't attest directly but plenty of people like this one. 

Lamy 2000, a classic, and for me the most well made pen I have, durable, classy looking, consistent writer, reasonable price for the build quality. 

Parker 51 is my other favorite, I use these pens most often. Love the look and they are also consistent writers, though many of them require some work to get writing to my satisfaction IME. 

18 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

This question is backwards.  You don't get four pens, unless it is on the way to a hundred (or more!) And then, with lots of experience and a full understanding of what criterium works best for you, your stash gets whittled down to the four BEST pens.  And there it sits until one day you write a post asking which four inks you should have.  And someone responds that you really need half a dozen more pens. At least.

:lol:

I once told my husband how many inks Amberlea Davis had in that fancy secretary of hers, and that she didn't have NEARLY as many as Sam Capote.  And he said "THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION!"

So what was I doing yesterday and today (well, between putting icemelt on the driveway and sidewalk, that is)?  Waffling between nib widths on the pen that will be my Christmas present, and then going "Well, as long as I'm ordering..." and looking at picking up some ink samples.  

Yup, I'm doomed....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And here I am this week doing the opposite. "I have some new inks coming. I should probably get some interesting pens to use with them. But as long as I am ordering a couple of pens anyway, maybe finally time to try a bottle each of Platinum Carbon Black and Platinum Blue-Black."

Wait, so maybe that is the same thing. This hobby. I tell ya. . .