Lightest Gray/Grey Ink ?

BadsCase

May I know the lightest gray/grey ink you have tried?

My current is J. Herbin in the shade Gris Nuage.

I'm in search of the lightest gray/grey ink.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• Inksomnia

• Karmachanic

• BadsCase

In my search for grey inks the lightest I have come across, but not tried, is Montblanc Grey Web.

namrehsnoom has a helpful comparison of grey inks in his review of Moonstone

Add lightness and simplicate.

lighter < Hieronymus Light Grey < Hieronymus Dark Grey < Moonstone < MB Heritage Spider Web < Lamy Crystal Line Grey < Jacques Herbin Houle < darker

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

For me, the lightest grey I've tried has been J Herbin Gris Nuage (which is just this side of being illegible).  That's followed by 3 Oysters Doldam, and Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun, both of which are a little darker.  After that it would probably be Noodler's Lexington Grey (which is a warmer tone, which helps, but I'm not overly enamored by it other than it's water resistance).  I haven't tried Edelstein Moonstone yet.

I suspect that some people might have trouble with De Atramentis Silver Grey or Diamine Anniversary Silver Fox, but I don't have an issue with the legibility of either of those (and the De Atramentis is probably my favorite grey ink).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for the suggestions! I might try the ones on the warmer tone. I did not read before purchasing the J.Herbini Gris Nuage that it is a cool toned.

Well, I actually find I tend to prefer cool-toned greys over warm-toned ones.  My favorite grey is on the light side, but still dark enough to be legible: De Atramentis Silver Grey (which is often found as relabeled D'A inks (I have it as Tchaikowsky).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

We have same mission, I also look lighter gray ink than my current one Gris Nuage.

But, my trick is to add some distilled water to converter to thin ink down and make it even lighter... It changes properties a bit.

What I have found, light gray is not so popular color option. But some smaller ink makers may have them. They are usually just really hard to come by, and doesn't make their ways to comparisons. I don't own the ink, but Kala Nostalgia Gemstone Opal Ink looks really light. Also, Kala has some pretty unique grays and many lighter colors in their range.

6 hours ago, Inksomnia said:

We have same mission, I also look lighter gray ink than my current one Gris Nuage.

But, my trick is to add some distilled water to converter to thin ink down and make it even lighter... It changes properties a bit.

Is there some specific reason you want to use something that light (and then dilute it further?  Because I can maybe see it for artwork, but for writing it sounds as if what you want is going to be pretty illegible.

And if you want that, why not go all out and get Noodler's Blue Ghost (invisible ink which is only visible under ultraviolet light), and put it in a cheap pen (I use it in one of the Charlie eyedroppers, which came free with some other Noodler's ink (probably some LE ink made for a pen show).

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Is there some specific reason you want to use something that light (and then dilute it further?  Because I can maybe see it for artwork, but for writing it sounds as if what you want is going to be pretty illegible.

And if you want that, why not go all out and get Noodler's Blue Ghost (invisible ink which is only visible under ultraviolet light), and put it in a cheap pen (I use it in one of the Charlie eyedroppers, which came free with some other Noodler's ink (probably some LE ink made for a pen show).

It is for drawing. I use light gray for initial sketch and then darker ink for final lines.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:06 AM, Inksomnia said:

It is for drawing. I use light gray for initial sketch and then darker ink for final lines.

Okay, that makes much more sense.  

I'll admit that a lot of the drawing I do is for very specific purposes (and one of the few times I don't use fountain pens) -- sketches are done with 2H leads in a Berol or Staedler-Mars lead holder, then the final is inked with Uniball rollerballs.

The drawings I do use a fountain pen for, I'm working directly on the page.