EFNIR: Herbin Lie de Thé

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Herbin Lie de Thé

This is review #58 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Super quick and easy cleaning with just plain water!  Another good brown to try if you're worried about staining - I saw no hints this would stain.  (Not a guarantee, obviously, but indicative, I think.)

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.HerbinLiedeThe.jpg.001984471661c89ebca7b5d151617189.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.HerbinLiedeTheS.jpg.7b92273788d95ea525e08ca910e4123d.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.HerbinLiedeTheZ.jpg.3f8684545418894769a043f6ae3ce134.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.HerbinLiedeTheAP.jpg.e8e9717f19ee6e3e08b57301ef9e6d33.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Sailor Kenshin

• Dimy

Thanks for review.

This one looks nice, I have tsucchi ink and it might me very interesting to see how well that matches to this color (still unopened bottle so alls a speculation). I expect that one to behave well too with my general experience with taccia inks. What does water resistance look like on this one.

Will try it after finishing some brown inks.

On side note reason for magic seems justified:lol:.

8 hours ago, Dimy said:

Thanks for review.

This one looks nice, I have tsucchi ink and it might me very interesting to see how well that matches to this color (still unopened bottle so alls a speculation). I expect that one to behave well too with my general experience with taccia inks. What does water resistance look like on this one.

Will try it after finishing some brown inks.

On side note reason for magic seems justified:lol:.

You're welcome!

Browns are so interesting - such a wide range and it's hard to compare them until they're side by side - I think we're not used to distinguishing shades of brown, they're all just "brown".

As for water resistance, I imagine there is none........ Aaaannnndddd, I'd be wrong.  At least, in an old sample written way back between 04 and 06 November 2020, a drop of water on the writing, left a while and then blotted up, removed remarkably little ink.  Not only is the writing readable, the color is still there and the writing is not that fuzzy.  How it would do on fresh writing, I don't know - not inked at the moment - but once the ink is good and dry, it resists water very well!

It would hardly be acceptable to allow the impossible to remain impossible, so yes, magic is clearly necessary! :)

16 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Tippety-tap is back.  Yay!

I have this ink.  You summed it up nicely.

:D  Thank you!

Thanks for the review. J. Herbin has mastered the brown superbly... they make both my favourite brown inks: this one and Cacao du Brésil. I love the golden-brown appearance of Lie de Thé. This is my sunlight summer brown, while Cacao du Brésil is my cool-toned winter brown. They both nail it! 

51 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Thanks for the review. J. Herbin has mastered the brown superbly... they make both my favourite brown inks: this one and Cacao du Brésil. I love the golden-brown appearance of Lie de Thé. This is my sunlight summer brown, while Cacao du Brésil is my cool-toned winter brown. They both nail it! 

You're welcome!  Glad to know I'm in good company. ;)

Nice one, hint of green do I see? 

Had forgotten all about Quintus and his adventures? Must be the sphinx's fault.. it ate my memory ;)

5 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Green would be a side-effect of the camera and such.  I don't see green in the ink itself.

6 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Had forgotten all about Quintus and his adventures? Must be the sphinx's fault.. it ate my memory

What!!?  You'd best go back to the first one I posted last night and catch up!  We're in the middle of a sphinxy story arc and I may need help to figure out where it's going!

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

Green would be a side-effect of the camera and such.  I don't see green in the ink itself.

What!!?  You'd best go back to the first one I posted last night and catch up!  We're in the middle of a sphinxy story arc and I may need help to figure out where it's going!

Oh, I'm reading from back to front. That's why I'm muddled :D

58 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Oh, I'm reading from back to front. That's why I'm muddled :D

Here you go, unmuddle yourself...  (The current story up through R.O. Blue Sea.)

Long after the other four wizards got bored and went home, Quintus’ patience finally paid off. On the right foot of the sphinx of black quartz, the largest toe showed a slight abnormality.  That toe had to be the way inside the sphinx, and in time, Quintus would unlock its secret.

Quintus stood before his wardrobe staring at a virtual sea of black robes.  With a sudden grin, he whispered a secret spell, then pulled out a single blood-red robe.

Clad in his blood-red robe, Quintus returned to the mystery of the Sphinx’s toe. The glyphs indicated the toe had to be pushed in and pulled out at the same time.  A clear impossibility.  But impossibilities were why magic existed in the first place.

Poor, exhausted Quintus flopped down onto the sand.  All his efforts to both push and pull the Sphinx’s toe had failed.  And yet, he was sure there had to be a way...

Quintus sat in the sand, pondering pushing and pulling.  Push one part and pull another?  But the toe seemed whole.  Which part should he push and which pull?  Compression?   Tear it apart?  But in which directions?  Or in what sequence?  "Well," he said, "there was only one thing to do.  Try!"

Quintus laughed hysterically as his twin spells pushed the sphinx’s toe out from the inside and pulled it out from the outside.  It’s possible he was suffering from sleep deprivation...

As night fell in the desert, Quintus conjured an orb of light, straightened his back, and told the butterflies in his stomach there was no need to flutter about so nervously.  “No need at all,” he whispered as he stepped into the gap left by the sphinx’s push-pulled toe.

While Quintus toiled upward in the night, the other four wizards slept safely in their beds: one with a lazy dog curled at his feet, another with a quick brown fox curled at his back, the third with a box of five dozen liquor jugs hidden under his bed, and the fourth dreamt of waltzing zebras.

On and on Quintus trudged - along narrow passageways and up quartz staircases.  Clearly the sphinx was larger inside than out.  Just at the edge of his vision, something blinked!  “Gaaaaaaah,” Quintus screamed.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:09 PM, yazeh said:

On 12/16/2020 at 12:17 PM, LizEF said:

My first thought looking at the close-up shot was "yep, there's that slight green undertone".

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 year later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 280µm.

large.HerbinLiedeTheLW.jpg.bfb57c3a26e9280f41842511b9a0176e.jpg