EFNIR: Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot

This is review #57 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning required only plain water.  A few more flushes than most blues, but still quick and easy.  No hints of staining.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRot.jpg.9f43836b3d85877cd8a608da36654961.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRotS.jpg.a72bcc4a0373d31a1b0af4343e299942.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRotZ.jpg.62a0b9c922e803c8ed434b88e9d8fc5f.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRotAP.jpg.b130e20fa58884848584516a833d6e34.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Montblanc Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• essayfaire

• Karmachanic

• Dimy

Thanks for review.

Hmm to me the ink justifies the 'rot' in its name quite well in this color and I don't many see inks name being honest these days😆

28 minutes ago, Dimy said:

Thanks for review.

Hmm to me the ink justifies the 'rot' in its name quite well in this color and I don't many see inks name being honest these days😆

Rod = red

Add lightness and simplicate.

7 hours ago, Dimy said:

Thanks for review.

You're very welcome!

:)  German for "red" (the origin of the name is interesting - named for a friend, basically - you can find it online).  Regardless, I'd guess there's a market for pretty much every color.  I like the original brick red you get from wetter nibs, just not the brownish color it ages into from the EF, at least.

7 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Rod = red

Don't you just hate auto-correct!? ;)

Thanks for the review.  I like the color, but its behavior will rule this out for me.  There are similar shades of red-brick that I already have.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

9 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for the review.  I like the color, but its behavior will rule this out for me.  There are similar shades of red-brick that I already have.

You're welcome!  Can't really blame you - something more stable across all nibs (and a bit wetter) would definitely trump this ink.  Hmm.  Maybe if you wanted this color and had a firehose that needed taming, this ink would be for you...

It made me laugh, "as expected...flow is dry?" Why? because it's red/rot/ rod?/rouge?/ quid?

Or is it made of suspended brick particles?

Anyway, it's all Quintus' fault :) these rambling. 

Thanks for the review btw :D

57 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It made me laugh, "as expected...flow is dry?" Why?

Well, Robert Oster does have something of a reputation...  Though his blues don't seem dry to me.

58 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Anyway, it's all Quintus' fault :) these rambling. 

Sure, blame the fictional character. ;)

58 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Thanks for the review btw

You're welcome! :)

I keep wondering whether to get a sample of this, simply because it was named for/in honor of  FPN's own cyber6.  But I mostly don't like burgundies or brown leaning reds/blood reds -- the only "burgundy" ink I've tried that I've ever been able to stand was a partial bottle of Campo Marzio Bordeaux that my friend gave me which came out of the basement of someone she knew).  The only other red that is vaguely in that category is original formula J Herbin Rouge Hematite (with the big gold flakes, rather than the shimmer dust) -- and that's more of a brick red.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

11 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

burgundy

I think burgundy leans more blue, doesn't it?  Anywho, this ink does not lean blue at all.  "Brick red" seems like a good description of Astorquiza Rot, but given my experience, I'd say it's definitely one to sample first, if one is interested.

• 9 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 11:40 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I mostly don't like burgundies or brown leaning reds/blood reds

I mostly like burgundies and reds that contain a fair amount of brown!  I'm late to this thread but ordering a sample.  Thanks for the original review!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

49 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I mostly like burgundies and reds that contain a fair amount of brown!  I'm late to this thread but ordering a sample.  Thanks for the original review!

:) You're very welcome!  Would love to know how you like the sample - if you remember whenever it arrives.

16 hours ago, LizEF said:

if you remember whenever it arrives.

I'll add it to my pen and inks list in my bullet journal. ;)

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 9:54 PM, LizEF said:

:) You're very welcome!  Would love to know how you like the sample - if you remember whenever it arrives.

I am starting a new thread now titled "Adventures in Brownish Red Inks".  Should be up soon, technology permitting.  Bottom line is I find it an attractive color without shading, and it perhaps is a tad dry.  I think "brick red" (at least in places where the bricks bleach out a bit in the sun) is a fair description.

Festina lente

24 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I am starting a new thread now titled "Adventures in Brownish Red Inks".  Should be up soon, technology permitting.  Bottom line is I find it an attractive color without shading, and it perhaps is a tad dry.  I think "brick red" (at least in places where the bricks bleach out a bit in the sun) is a fair description.

:) Thanks for the follow-up.  Going to look for your thread now.

• 4 months later...

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 265µm.

large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRotLW.jpg.8b7d0d76cd6aa41810c71f7aafdcaa5d.jpg

3 hours ago, LizEF said:

Here's the line width measurement. The line is one of those used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 265µm.

large.RobertOsterAstorquizaRotLW.jpg.8b7d0d76cd6aa41810c71f7aafdcaa5d.jpg

Wonder how that compares to the other inks in the "Adventures..."thread!

Festina lente

27 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Wonder how that compares to the other inks in the "Adventures..."thread!

I'm not sure which thread you're referring to.  On average (so far), this ink writes a fine line.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I keep wondering whether to get a sample of this, simply because it was named for/in honor of  FPN's own cyber6.  But I mostly don't like burgundies or brown leaning reds/blood reds -- the only "burgundy" ink I've tried that I've ever been able to stand was a partial bottle of Campo Marzio Bordeaux that my friend gave me which came out of the basement of someone she knew).  The only other red that is vaguely in that category is original formula J Herbin Rouge Hematite (with the big gold flakes, rather than the shimmer dust) -- and that's more of a brick red.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm with you - I'm proud of @Cyber6!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY